rear springs - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
It is nice

Question rear springs

I just put in the vogtland springs in the rear, front is off to be assembled. Two questions. The rubber mount on the bottom seemed to lift up a bit after lowering the vehicle to the ground. The rubber part that's lifted is towards the middle of the car on both springs. Is that normal? I never looked at the stock springs while on the ground if the rubber lay flat or not. It was all flat in the air while the jack compressed the spring upward. Second, I drove it with just the rear springs installed for about 20mins and the first few bumps, and stop and go from a light the springs made a metal (piiiiiiiiiing) noise a few times kinda loud. I kinda got worried but they didn't make the noise after about 3 times. I figured that its just the springs settling, is that right? Thanks.... Off to the front dissasembly.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
They're Here!

My Vogtland springs that I ordered before Thanksgiving finally arrived! 91cougarLS and I have been waiting on these forever. We ordered them around the same time. He got his on Jan 2 (Because he lives closer to California).

Time to put the car back together and see what happens!

The Stock Rear spring and the new Vogtland

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
My Stock Front Spring Assemblies next to the new assembiles with one of the new Cobra Bilsteins and the old shocks.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
It is nice

I got both front assemblies off they went pretty fast, but not without busting my pinky pretty bad. I didn't realize the top mount had a washer so the shop might need that lol they said they had the nut though. I would bring the old assembly in but my ride flaked out ahhh. I might have to wait until tmrw night to get them in now. off to ice my pinky and see what im gonna do.

ok the guy at Midas called said he got them together, and said the strut washer is not required. Anyways is this true? I don't want them busting out of the spring while driving.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 05-14-2012 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Merge posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 05:59 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
I personally wouldn't trust those without the top washer.

I ordered a new set of mounting hardware from FordPartsCounter (Jason) for the front. I talked to him this afternoon and he said everything should be ready for pickup tomorrow. Then it's off to the shop to have my new front assemblies put together. I'm leaving the old ones intact and will take them along as a reference.

I will put the rear springs in tonight and reassemble the rear end. The front will take longer since I'm also replacing the UCA's and the swaybar bushings. More pictures to come...

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Those are only a 3/4" Drop ?? They look much smaller than the factory springs, I take it they are much stiffer and dont compress as much ?

- Dan
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 06:42 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
I was thinking the same thing. We'll see when I get them on the car. If they're the 1.6" drop springs I won't send them back. I'll be interested to see what the car looks like when I put it back on the ground. They are much thicker. I'll put my dial calipers on them, measure the thickness, do a comparision and post the results here. I'll also measure the unsprung height difference before I put the new springs in.

Edit - Update:

The Unsprung height of the stock rear spring is 13 3/4"
The Unsprung height of the Vogtland rear spring is 11 1/4"
A difference of 2 1/2"

The diameter of the stock rear coil is .670"
The diameter of the Vogtland rear coil is .720"
A difference of .050" or just under 1/16" heavier.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-06-2007 at 08:41 PM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
It is nice

well, I looked at them and they seem unsafe like this. Plus they are not compressed all the way and I'm not sure if tightening the nut would work. This is getting frustrating. Im guessing the plastic piece that slides on the shock should be at the top of the mount mine is loose still and the shock bolt is not all the way through. ahhhhh retarted ppl don't know what to do.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 07:16 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Do you put the more tightly coiled section of the spring (Pictured in post 2) toward the top or the bottom? My guesss is it's the bottom.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
It is nice

its just how yours is pictured. the idiot at midas barely compressed mine and just put the nut on to hold it together is all. I have to either find a compitent shop tmrw to mount them right or gonna put the stock ones back on till next week.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 08:25 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Got it. Thanks for the info. on orientation.

Sorry about your luck with the front ones. At least you can enjoy the rear springs until you can get the front one's fixed right. Do the new front springs have to be compressed so that the assembly is the same Height/Length as the old assembly?

I'm lucky I have another vehicle to fall back on. I'll be taking the old and new assemblies to a local shop tomorrow to get the new one's put together AND I'll have the old one's available as a reference. I should have the rear end reassembled tonight.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
It is nice

It has to be compressed at least half way I'd say or else its hard to get them in. Mine ended up being much longer than stock and the alignment mount is way off, plus the fact that the washer isn't on makes me worry how it would hold when fully compressed without the washer. Will tell you what happens tmrw. thx.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 08:58 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks again. I'll make sure they're at least the same length as the originals. Good luck, I wouldn't have even taken them home without that washer on the top. Hope you finger isn't to bad. I'm going to finish putting mine back together. Talk to you here tomorrow.

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
It is nice

Finished the fronts got the washer installed. one side didn't line up that great but I used a pry bar to twist it into place. take back what I said it doesn't matter how far they are installed really bc once the weight of the car is down you can tighten the middle nut down all the way. I drove around for a while and they feel good. The body roll has reduced a lot yet they still drive smooth over bumps. The only mishap I have is that the rear spring is making a (clingggg) noise when hitting bumps sometimes. It's not loud but you can hear it. I have no idea what it's from so your guess is as good as mine. Do the rear springs mount either way or is there a top and bottom?

I think I put one of the rear springs in upside down thats probably the noise.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 05-14-2012 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Merge posts
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 05:12 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Sorry to hear you're going to have to pull one of the rear springs again to flip it.

I just finished reassembling the rear end. It looks great. it will probably settle another 1/4" or so once I drive it around and break the new springs in.

I got one of the front shock/spring assemblies put together today. I'll finish reinstalling it tonight. I'm still waiting on a installation kit for the other side (New Hardware) since I'm going to leave the old assemblies intact. Jason (FordPartsCounter) said it should be here Monday. I should have the car ready to drive by Wednesday - My work schedule permitting.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-06-2007 at 08:35 PM.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 08:53 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Update Post 7 with spring dimensions.
Update Post 16 with pictures

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
It is nice

noise was from the front brake dust shields I had forgot to bend them back

Last edited by 91CougarLS; 01-07-2007 at 04:18 PM.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 09:33 AM

i have question. i just recently was given a 95 tbird lx 4.6l and somebody at some time had put airbags on this car and the guy that i got it from had them removed and put regular springs inplace of them. he used the eibach lowering springs. anyway, my rear end does not have those black cups that you have pictured in yours and i am afraid these things will pop out as well as i beleive the car is not sitting proper due to not having them. where can i get these top and bottom pieces. thank you
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Go to the Ford Parts Counter forum, and give Jason a PM or phone call.

Shouldn't be much more than $8-$9 each for those rubber isolators.
They are very easy to install.

EDIT:

As of Sept. 2006, the rear spring isolators were $11.61 ea (retail $16.82 ea)
Obviously, you will need four of them.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 10:56 AM

is it a good idea to replace all the springs and are the lx sport good ones
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Replacing the springs is up to you.

The Sport springs are a good choice, and I had them in my 95 LX.

The rears are easy, the fronts are more of a challenge to swap.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
Thanks for the ride !
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 11:04 AM

if not factory, then what are some good springs to buy. i am new to suspension work so i am still learning who is reputable and who is not
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pwrdbird
if not factory, then what are some good springs to buy.
Well, the ones pictured in the thread you made this post in are a good choice.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
Thanks for the ride !
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 12:20 PM

okay, cool thanks, i thought you were going to say that but i thought i would ask anyway.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

No problem, I bought of set of Vogtland springs, but never installed them.
The car was just getting too many miles on her to bother.

They are very good springs though.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
Thanks for the ride !
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 02:33 PM

still got em?
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

No, they sold in .000001 seconds after I put them in the "For-Sale" forum.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
Thanks for the ride !
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 06:09 PM

where did you order them from. what website?
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 06:25 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Where to find Vogtland Springs

Look HERE on Page 3. Spinningwheels-SC also carries them. I'm not sure of his price. You can call or email him and he'll take care of you.

Both of these suppliers are just middle-men distributors who are at the mercy of Vogtland. It took like six weeks to get mine after I ordered them. They are a special order item made in Germany and distributed out of California.

They were $205.00 when I ordered them before Thanksgiving but they've gone up to $219.00 since then. Like I said, they took about six weeks to arrive - I didn't get them until after New Years.

I hope this helps.

post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 08:31 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Sorry to hear you're going to have to pull one of the rear springs again to flip it.

I just finished reassembling the rear end. It looks great. it will probably settle another 1/4" or so once I drive it around and break the new springs in.

I got one of the front shock/spring assemblies put together today. I'll finish reinstalling it tonight. I'm still waiting on a installation kit for the other side (New Hardware) since I'm going to leave the old assemblies intact. Jason (FordPartsCounter) said it should be here Monday. I should have the car ready to drive by Wednesday - My work schedule permitting.

s that a new upper control arm or were you able to find new boots for the ball joints? I have tried everwhere to find new boots but can't find any for a 1995. I found the best prices for replacement front end parts at rockauto. I am going to rebuild my front end when we finish with new upper control arm and lower ball joint if I still can't find new boots.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
It is nice

That is a new arm I remember him telling me. I have actually seen new ball joint for the upper without the whole arm somewhere but its not worth it just buy the whole arm. For the lower you can find just the ball joint but it is easier to buy the whole arm. I have mis-matched parts trw and moog they are about the same quality. I gotta tell you though if you find the front endlinks that have a bent shaped bar instead of straight pick those up because they fit easier. If you need any tips for removing anything just ask I must have taken everything apart alot by now pretty good at it lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in