Suspension & Budget... how do I cope? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Suspension & Budget... how do I cope?

Ok, I'm at 179,xxx miles.

The car floats funkily and doesn't feel very surefooted, even with my big fat wide tires.

I want the car to feel solid again, like it's firmly on the ground and actually connected to the road, and not make all kinds of nasty noise whenever I go over a large bump or hit a dip.

I am thinking I at a minimum, need new shocks front and rear, and might probably even need new springs.

I am also on a very tight budget-- what should I do to get the car to feel decent again?

Thanks,
Ghost

96 Laser Red 4.6L - Custom
Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
you can get just about all the parts to rebuild the front end for about 350$ not including front shocks - from rockauto.com. front shocks run about 80$ each, rears run about 20$ each.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
5th Gear Poster

I want to say go ahead and replace the shocks at all 4 corners but there are a tremendous amount of bushings in the front end that you should replace while things are apart. Up to you to decide how much of the looseness is the bushings and how much is lack of damping in the shocks.

If you do the shocks the most ecomonical performance minded shocks are the 96-97 t-bird/cougar sport shocks on the front and 03-04 Cobras in the rear. Make sure you get new shock mounts for both sets.

Edit:With my slow typing, Ubucina beat me and gave prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to KrAzyT
maybe the front struts and rear shocks....

1996 Thunderbird 4.6 -Sold-
259.4 hp and 285.3 tq on mustang dyno
Bunch of motorcycles
2004 F150
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Poster

if you dont hear any rattles...or shakes....your bushing are probably ok...for now...

on a budget...

get monroe sensatrac... the shocks and struts are easy to do yourself....

get a spring compressor ( most autopart stores will let youborrow them free) small deposit

front strut...upper mount is optional....if the rubber looks good use it again...

i say this for buget reasons....i reused mine at 120k when i changed my struts..

trent
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 02:30 PM

If the ball joints are worn in the front end, the suspension can feel loose and all over the place. More than likely the upper control arm is very trashed and the lower might still be somewhat ok. Check if the boots are torn on the upper control arm. If they are, you should replace those. They run about $100 for the pair.

Also, I would pass on new springs. Just stick with new shocks all around. You'll probably also need new front sway bar links, which are around $75 for the pair I believe.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 02:35 PM
PostWhore

Almost anytime I've had a loud clunking in the front end when going over a bump (especially with the wheels cut) it's been those damn spherical end links. Seems like you're always replacing them once a year!

Correcting your sure footedness may be as simple as adjustments to your alignment. Might want to see what that does for you first, before you go droping a pile on new suspension components.

~Brian~

*1990 Mustang Coupe, 5.4L*
Black on Black & Stroked 'n' Polked!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned

well he did go from a sc to a rusted 95 lx

the bushings are gone nick, they needed to be replaced when i had the car last year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in