stiffer suspension - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

stiffer suspension

I have a 96 Thunderbird lx with all stock suspension and i would like for it to ride a little bit stiffer what would you recommend to get like new shocks? struts? spring? and i don't want to spend a fortune on it and any brands that you recommend would help.Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

For a stiffer suspension i would suggest getting a spring/shock combination. Spring's all by themselves (i have Eibach 1.5" lowering springs) did NOT stiffen the ride much more if any at all. What i suggest is to get a stiffer shock absorber. Although i do not have a "perofrmance" type shockabosorber on my tbird, on my other cars i run Tokico D Spec's (06 mustang GT) and Bilstein's (02 Lexus IS300) both stiffened up the suspension significantly. The Tokico D spec's that i have are an adjustable shock which enable's you to stiffen the ride or soften it. I'm not sure if the specific line of Tokico "Dspecs" are available for the tbird but i do know that many members use Tokico Illumina's i believe, and they are happy with them. I also run 18" wheels with a 245/45/18 tire, this also stiffens up the ride quite a bit. Good luck
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
A word of advice would be to get the best shocks that you can afford. I would buy the Koni shocks. If you search around a bit you can get some good info on upgrading the suspension. Just look in my sig for some ideas.

Russ

JL's chassis braces, ST springs w/ 1 coil cut in rear (27.2" F 28" R), Airlift airbags (5 psi), Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes F & R, ROH RT 17x9s, 255/285s Khumo Ecsta MX tires, 2.5" dual exhaust w/borla mufflers, 1 3/8 f & r bars, remote filter,subframe buildup, Al differential bushings, J-modded '02 tranny, 9.5" DD stall, 30K Hayden cooler, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, XCal 2

Want to talk/hangout with MN12 owners from GA? Go here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

which is better kyb GR2 Gas Shocks or Gabriel ultra shocks?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
neither. go koni or go home.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 01:04 AM

First thing to do is make sure nothing is worn out. Perhaps new shocks front and rear would suffice. Add braces before stiffening other things. I added homemade rear shock brace and front k-frame braces first. That alone made a huge difference. You would be suprised how much the flexi-flier chassis contributes to ride softness.

Going with all poly bushings in the rear also made a difference. I'm using a lighter hollow swaybar and the car corners alot flatter. Used one poly spring spacer and cut one coil from the stock LX springs to acheive a stock height. The harshness has increased slightly.

Sometimes on wet pavement the car actually seems TOO tight in the rear. My rear tires are worn more now but the back end will try to slide out where it hooked before. With dry roads the lack of roll makes for a controllable drift. The car actually seemed to hook better at the track with the softer stock rubber bushings.

I'm not sure about long term durability of the poly bushings. Now I'm scared to drive in foul weather because of the bushings. They are grooved to accept silicone grease. There is a possibility of dirt, salt, and water getting in those grooves. The factory rubber bushings are well made and will last a long time.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina
neither. go koni or go home.
Now that's a biased opinion. By the way, Konis are one of the most expensive. I know there's that old saying that you get what you pay for but that's not always the case.

Another OPTION would be to run the 03/04 Cobra Bilsteins in the rear and the 96-97 Sport Shocks pn#AST-135 in the front. The Sport Shocks are the same shocks that are used on the Super Coupes.

Our cars have SHOCKS you won't need to buy any Struts.

For more information to think about see HERE, HERE, and HERE.

I recently put the Bilstein/Sport Shock setup on my car and am very pleased with it. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
Now that's a biased opinion. By the way, Konis are one of the most expensive. I know there's that old saying that you get what you pay for but that's not always the case.

Another OPTION would be to run the 03/04 Cobra Bilsteins in the rear and the 96-97 Sport Shocks pn#AST-135 in the front. The Sport Shocks are the same shocks that are used on the Super Coupes.

Our cars have SHOCKS you won't need to buy any Struts.

For more information to think about see HERE, HERE, and HERE.

I recently put the Bilstein/Sport Shock setup on my car and am very pleased with it. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

maybe because they are the ONLY shock designed and valved for performance and lowered applications. KYB are asian subcontracted crap, Tokicos soften prematurely, and I cooked a set of Ford Sport shocks with my Eibachs in just over a year. So, lower your car and replace shocks every few years or put in Konis and dont worry about it. You get what you pay for.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
No, the Sport Shocks are NOT the same as the SC shocks. The SC's had electronically controlled, adjustable shocks. The Sports just had revalved standard shocks.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:25 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler
No, the Sport Shocks are NOT the same as the SC shocks. The SC's had electronically controlled, adjustable shocks. The Sports just had revalved standard shocks.

Sorry, I misread the article. The SPRINGS are the same not the shocks.

From: http://www.tccoa.com/articles/suspension/shocks.html

Quote: "The springs of the SC bird are plenty stiff, as stiff as any aftermarket job,as they ride under all 96-7 sports, and will do a nice job over the stock ones."

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

If i got sc springs would the car stay at stock driving height or would it be lower to the ground? Didnt the article say that sc springs are all around stiffer than the sports and lx.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:25 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Stiffer yes. But I don't think they're any lower. Maybe someone else can confirm.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Who is John Galt?

It will be the same ride height, maybe a fraction of an inch higher since you've got a base V6.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

thanks i will probably try to find a set of sc springs to stiffen up the suspension a little and maybe some shocks not koni because those things are way too expensive but thanks for the replies.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 04:02 PM

hey, I work at a dealership and i just ordered a pair of rear sport shcocks and front sport shocks. No problem. and they cost 160 for all 4!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
You found Ford Motorcraft "Sport" front shocks? I wasn't aware they were still available. Are you certain they are sport shocks?

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
<<< SOLD >>>
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

That's what i thought. My ford parts guy said that those were no longer available?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

To Stiffen

Hello

To stiffen this chassis you Will Need to install spring tower braces. To get even better you will be installing better or newer Bushings.

I race this chassis on a 1/2 mile asphalt oval, Stock car, 90 t-bird. When I Xed & added a cross brace to the rear shock towers, The car changed greatly. She acted more like she was supposed too. Front spring lb. went up & rear spring lb. went down.

We are currently building a 96 T-bird to replace the 90. Going to change some of my roll bars for better stiffness(less-flex).

Paul

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Do you have a picture of this cross brace? I was thining about making my own or getting one from Rod. Does anyone know if Rod still makes these cross braces? Thanks
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:57 PM

Okay, scratch my last comment, they cost me $190.53, with my employee discount. yes, they are for a 96 LX with the Sport option. Luckily my Parts guy also drives a tbird. wouldn't you know it, he needed shocks for his sport and couldn't find them, til he made some calls. He got some for his car a few months ago, and he knew exactly what the number was. There are only a few left in the country, and I presume, the world?

Fronts-
3U2Z*18124*CB FOR 89.62/EA.

Rear-
F7AZ*18125*KA FOR 37.12 EA.

So $253.48 + $9.95 for freight from I think Wisconsin.

Total for y'all= $263.43

Good luck, and I really hope they will slide right in on my car!!!

-Roger
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Man, for less than that you can pick up a set of KYB's from Ebay. Yea, I know they aren't KONI'S but they are at least as good, if not better, than the Sport shocks.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
<<< SOLD >>>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in