how to check/grease ball joints? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

how to check/grease ball joints?

hi, my girlfriends v6 96 bird has lately had this horrible creaking/groaning noise occasionally when turning (coming from around the front drivers side wheel). it doesn't really do it over bumps, i don't think, but when i jacked the car up it made the noise too. i looked over everything and saw a few bushings were somewhat worn but the tie rod ends and ball joints looked okay. those are the things i'm really worried about.

anyway, i jacked the car up, and tried to move the top and bottom of the wheel in and out, and move the wheel left to right, there was maybe a quarter inch of play when trying to move the wheel left to right but that was it. i bought a needle attachment to try to "inject" grease into the lower ball joint, but when i tried to put the needle through the rubber, the needle broke.

my question is, how do i inject the ball joints with grease? i've heard this can be done, but i'm not sure where to put the needle? also, anybody else have an idea where this occasional creaking noise could be coming from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

If you don't have a grease fitting that is sticking out of the ball joint, then they are sealed units and the best way to deal w/ that is replace the entire unit.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2007, 12:49 PM
motor city poster

Send a message via AIM to Red96Bird
^ what he said, time to replace some ball joints..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 04:05 PM
PostWhore

If you have a 1/4 inch of play from side to side, are you sure that the tie rods are okay? It could be a ball joint problem, but it could be tie rods too. Or a wheel bearing. The factory ball joints are sealed, permanently lubed, low-friction units. You can buy replacements from Ford or Moog, etc.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 01:20 PM
5th Gear Poster

The ball joints on these cars are notorious for wearing out, simplest fix is to just buy replacements. My uppers on bother sides are shot, so this is in my future as well.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post
If you have a 1/4 inch of play from side to side, are you sure that the tie rods are okay? It could be a ball joint problem, but it could be tie rods too. Or a wheel bearing. The factory ball joints are sealed, permanently lubed, low-friction units. You can buy replacements from Ford or Moog, etc.
Thats the first thing I thought as well. there should NOT be that much (if any) play from side to side on a power rack and pinion car.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:42 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Buy the ford ball joints; the aftermarket ones have a lot of friction by comparison.

If you think its the ball joint, fix it asap.

If it fails at speed, the lower arm and everything hits the ground...Not pretty, and potentially deadly.

Use search, there's some pretty good pics here, somewhere. (if they're still here.)

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in