Front end noise - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Front end noise

Over the last few weeks I have noticed a popping sound coming from the front end. This occurs when I'm backing up & turning the wheels. It will pop once & that's it. When I straighten out the wheels it doesn't happen. Also it doesn't happen all the time. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but it seem to start when we got this unusually cold weather here in SoCal. A little over a year ago I completely rebuild the front end. New UCAs, LCAs, tie rod ends, sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, strut rod bushings. The shocks are due for replacement but I can't imagine them making that kind of noise.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 10:40 PM

Read all these posts and cry? Thats what Im doing and it's not helping. Only reassurance I can offer is this; YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!
If I fix mine this sunday, I will prepare a lengthy report on my findings.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
i bet you bottom dollar its the upper arm bushings. Which are serivceable. TRW makes a replacement and they must be pressed out.

which strut rod bushings are you running? both on the arm and frame. Moog thermoplastic el crack-o-matics i have and hate. TRW - in a real TRW box are rubber and much better.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina
i bet you bottom dollar its the upper arm bushings. Which are serivceable. TRW makes a replacement and they must be pressed out.

which strut rod bushings are you running? both on the arm and frame. Moog thermoplastic el crack-o-matics i have and hate. TRW - in a real TRW box are rubber and much better.
I replaced the complete UCAs little over a year ago & the boots are still intact. The strut rod bushings were from Ford. there are no Moog parts on the car
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bymet
I replaced the complete UCAs little over a year ago & the boots are still intact. The strut rod bushings were from Ford. there are no Moog parts on the car
no, i mean the bushings on the arms.....where the arm bolts to the frame. jack up the car and disconnect the ball joint from the spindle and shake it. if you get a rattle, theres your sign. Mine went south after about a year.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
no, i mean the bushings on the arms.....where the arm bolts to the frame. jack up the car and disconnect the ball joint from the spindle and shake it. if you get a rattle, theres your sign. Mine went south after about a year.
The UCA bushings are fine. It only happens when I'm backing up & turning the wheel. The end links are the only part that moves with the spindle so I'm beginning th think the sway bar end links are the problem even though they are only a little over a year old.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 06:50 PM
6th Gear Poster

Steering rack and pinion.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
Mine makes the same sound sometimes when I back up while turning the wheel. I will be anxious to see what you come up with.

Russ

JL's chassis braces, ST springs w/ 1 coil cut in rear (27.2" F 28" R), Airlift airbags (5 psi), Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes F & R, ROH RT 17x9s, 255/285s Khumo Ecsta MX tires, 2.5" dual exhaust w/borla mufflers, 1 3/8 f & r bars, remote filter,subframe buildup, Al differential bushings, J-modded '02 tranny, 9.5" DD stall, 30K Hayden cooler, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, XCal 2

Want to talk/hangout with MN12 owners from GA? Go here.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 08:37 PM
PostWhore

Jim I have the same problem. And I just did my UCA, Lower, and everything else about 6 months ago. I can't solve it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Ed View Post
Steering rack and pinion.
It is less than 2 years old & doesn't leak. Also if it was the rack & pinion why would it make noise only when backing up?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94ONAIR View Post
Jim I have the same problem. And I just did my UCA, Lower, and everything else about 6 months ago. I can't solve it.
Alex

Did you get your car back yet?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 12:35 PM

check the sub frame bolts I did everything you did and tightening the one loose bolt was the fix.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 03:08 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
My friend with a mustang 4.6 had this same issue from when he bought the car (2005) its a 2004 the person who had it before him hit one of those tire stops in a parking lot and well it hit more then the tires. He ended up having to replace the whole rack and bushings, just a thought since he had the same issue.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishkah View Post
My friend with a mustang 4.6 had this same issue from when he bought the car (2005) its a 2004 the person who had it before him hit one of those tire stops in a parking lot and well it hit more then the tires. He ended up having to replace the whole rack and bushings, just a thought since he had the same issue.

Thanks for the input. I haven't hit anything with it so I don't think it's the rack
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortion 5.0 View Post
check the sub frame bolts I did everything you did and tightening the one loose bolt was the fix.
Well I replaced my struts & sway bar end links this weekend & it did not solve the problem. This may sound dumb but where exactly are the sub frame bolts located?

Thanks

Jim
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bymet View Post
Well I replaced my struts & sway bar end links this weekend & it did not solve the problem. This may sound dumb but where exactly are the sub frame bolts located?

Thanks

Jim
Anyone have an answer for me on this?

Thanks
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I had a similar issue when I installed 13" rotors and larger calipers on the front. It seem'd that the calipers were on the wrong sides L/R. Cleared up when I put them on the correct side. Seemed to happen when turned the wheel and backing up. I know you didn't mention a brake conversion, but thought I'd toss it out there just in case. Sounds like you went through a big chunk of the front suspension.

Xcal2-tuned by Lonnie* Jmod kit by Darrin/Alan* '04 Marauder T/C*2002 GT MAF/airbox/intake tube* '04 explorer PI 4.6L/P&P by steenracing* Comp Cams - XE262AH* Accufab Plenum/ 75mm Throttle Body* 30lbs. injectors* 190lph fuel pump* 180* T-stat* Motorcraft 22C's* Steeda U/D pullies* JBA Ceramic Coated Headers* Aluminum Driveshaft* FRPP Aluminum pumpkin 3.73*

not installed yet:Suspension stuff: JL rstb/lower engine cradel brace/subframe connectors* KB FSTB* MN12Performance solid engine mounts/trans mount/poly crossmount bushings/IRS Diff bushings/Rear Cover Brace*RE6 Slam Specialites bags in the rear* Viair 400C compressor* 5gal Firestone tank* (8)Parker 1/2"valves* Dakota Digital Guage
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I had a similar issue when I installed 13" rotors and larger calipers on the front. It seem'd that the calipers were on the wrong sides L/R. Cleared up when I put them on the correct side. Seemed to happen when turned the wheel and backing up. I know you didn't mention a brake conversion, but thought I'd toss it out there just in case. Sounds like you went through a big chunk of the front suspension.
Yes I did a 13" brake upgrade about 3 years ago. This noise started a few months ago. I'm thinking somethig is loose enough that it moves causing the popping noise when I'm turning while backing up. Sub frame bolts make sense to me. I just need to know where they are exactly

Thanks for the input
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortion 5.0 View Post
Front sub frame bolts were the problem. They weren't loose but they were below the torque specs. Got an E18 torx socket & tightened them up to about 90 ft/lbs & the popping went away. Checked the rears as well & they were OK. As old as these cars are getting it's not a bad idea check these things every few years.
Thanks for the suggestion

Jim
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 12:51 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bymet View Post
Front sub frame bolts were the problem. They weren't loose but they were below the torque specs. Got an E18 torx socket & tightened them up to about 90 ft/lbs & the popping went away. Checked the rears as well & they were OK. As old as these cars are getting it's not a bad idea check these things every few years.
Thanks for the suggestion

Jim
That is an awesome find. I have some popping in my front end and that's something I'll check first. I like to keep it as simple as possible at first.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in