Wondering what Struts to buy - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Wondering what Struts to buy

I need to replace my worn out front struts, but I have a few concerns;

These have been worn out since I got the car. When I first got it, I was suprised by it's lack of boatiness in curves and dips and the like.
I was very happy about this because it was my primary concern in switching to this car from a Fox Body Mustang (4-cyl) because I really liked the way that car handled, and didn't want a huge sacrafice in that department.

So, I am thinking I should not buy Monroe Standard replacement struts.
I think that they will return her to her stock boatiness and ruin my current road hugging stiffness.

So I figured I would tell you guys what I want from this car, and see what you suggest.

I want the ride to be fairly stiff, not alot of float. I dont really need adjustable ride height or anything fancy, just a nice bolt in strut that is a good deal more stiff than the stock replacements.

I deliver pizza, so handling is my top priority, but on the off chance that I do convince a pretty young lady to take a ride with me, I don't want a pepple in the road to shatter her tail-bone either, so it needs to be able to repsond to larger impact force fairly well without sweating the minor dips and imperfections in the road.
I'd rather feel the small stuff so I can be aware of the different conditions my car might react to should an emergancy arise.

I really liked the stock suspension in the 2001 Cougar I had. I know thats a FF and a whole different platform all-together from our cars, but the suspension had what I wanted. It was stuff and rigid, didn't give in the corners at all, and hugged every little bump on the road. Yet on the few Landings I did after amorous jumps of Rail-Road tracks, she would come to rest smoothly, without the normal "Crash" associated with such an event.
I don't expect rally car performance, but something simililar to those stock struts would be nice, I liked their style.

But , another VERY IMPORTANT factor, is that I can't afford to shell out 300$ on these things or anything like that, so they need to be in the 50-80$ a piece range.

Soo, all that in mind, any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Been googling trying to see if they make air shocks for this car. Haven't found any yet. Anybody know if they even make them?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
they dont. best factory replacement bet is Ford OEM Sport Rate.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina
they dont. best factory replacement bet is Ford OEM Sport Rate.
Where might I purchase that? Direct from ford for 7 large gold bricks? Or do they still take limbs...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

only place to get OEM parts is from the dealership and they arent much more than the crap from autozone. just because it has a blue oval doesnt mean its disgustingly expensive.

just check with jason for his price.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina
only place to get OEM parts is from the dealership and they arent much more than the crap from autozone. just because it has a blue oval doesnt mean its disgustingly expensive.

just check with jason for his price.
Lol. They wanted 270$ for a clutch fork one time , so I usually dont bother. Im checking on the fords parts website and it doesnt list it, so I guess I just have to call a dealer.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

why dont you post an inquiry with Jason?

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

I don't even know who jason is. Not around here that much :/ . Just now started really working on the T-bird and didn't have much to talk about on the forum till now.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:05 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=948

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Posted, thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in