Bent spindle? - TCCoA Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
CRW
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4
Bent spindle?

90 cougar xr7


I whacked the curb pretty hard (blew the tire) recently, and I've had a vibration since. It feels like the right front wheel which is what hit the curb.

I have replaced:
tire and rim (lug holes and lug nuts were damaged.)
hub assembly (twice, first replacement didn't feel right)

I've inspected the rotor and see no signs of damage.

Within the last year I've replaced UCA, LCA, strut rod bushings, and sway bar end links and I still have a clunk in the front end at low speed (parking lot mostly)

Reading old posts I've seen a bent spindle proposed as a cause of wheel vibration, but I don't understand how, and I don't want to spend anymore money than I have too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Clint
CRW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 08:02 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 141
I didn't think these had spindles. I thought it was a solid press-fit wheel bearing.
But it is a possible cause if equiped. So are the bearings. I've had my share of curb whacks and they are never pretty.
Distortion 5.0 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation
 
tinman_72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: North GA
Posts: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortion 5.0
I didn't think these had spindles. I thought it was a solid press-fit wheel bearing.
The spindle is the chunk of metal that runs from the upper control arm to the lower control arm.
tinman_72 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
CRW
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4
How can a bent spindle cause wheel vibration?
CRW is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
miller1995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orland Park, IL
Posts: 2,806
Send a message via AIM to miller1995
Just making sure because you haven't meantioned it, you did get an alignment correct?

-Miller

Pearl 97 LX Sport - Purchased Feb. 09 - 5x4.5 Bolt patern, Cobra Brakes, Voghtland spings, Silver FR500's, 3.73's, MMX drive shaft...more to come
Denim Blue 97 Cougar Sport - Purchased Nov. 14 - 22k miles and now the daily driver, staying stock
Purple 95LX Supercharged 4.6PI Parting Out
Black '11 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6-speed - Fun but efficient
SOLDWhite '03 Crown Vic P71
Pearl 96 Lx - Parted and gone, some parts still available
SOLD2006 Mazdaspeed6
SOLD1998 Escort ZX2
RIPBlue 97 LX - MANY PARTS STILL AVAILABLE
RIP My Black 95 LX 4.6
miller1995 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 12:23 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman_72
The spindle is the chunk of metal that runs from the upper control arm to the lower control arm.
That's called the "Steering Knuckle" The spindle is a smooth pointed shaft upon which wheel bearings are ment to glide. I don't think that the steering knuckle itself would bend at all before it broke, (and I doubt it would break)
Distortion 5.0 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 12:24 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW
How can a bent spindle cause wheel vibration?
It would be as if the alignment was off, and it could even be binding slightly.
Distortion 5.0 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Beer and Cheese
 
OxmanWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 7,386
Garage
I had this happen to me during the winter time, just replace the whole knuckle, look at your ball joints and bushings too for possible damage. Have an alignment done right after. Firestone is having a sale on alignments here, not sure if that is nation wide.

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
OxmanWI is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Tucson AZ
Age: 49
Posts: 3,726
While some people associate spindle with only the part that a wheel bearing spins on, spindle and knuckle are usually used interchangably on our cars.

Too bad you not closer, I have the spindles/hubs/LCA/end links/rotors/calipers/wheels (jeeze) etc from my 89. I upgraded it to the 93+ spindle so I could upgrade the brakes.

If the car can be aligned then I don't see the spindle being a problem (bent where it goes between the UCA and LCA, or the part the hub mounts to) but anything is possible. Was it a side impact or a straight on impact?

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
Bangster is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:39 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster
While some people associate spindle with only the part that a wheel bearing spins on, spindle and knuckle are usually used interchangably on our cars.

Too bad you not closer, I have the spindles/hubs/LCA/end links/rotors/calipers/wheels (jeeze) etc from my 89. I upgraded it to the 93+ spindle so I could upgrade the brakes.

If the car can be aligned then I don't see the spindle being a problem (bent where it goes between the UCA and LCA, or the part the hub mounts to) but anything is possible. Was it a side impact or a straight on impact?
I'm just refering to the terminology I learned in Automotive School.
I'm sure as long as people know what your talking about you can use lots of things interchangably, like calling all wheels with a certain look "mags" when only magnesium wheels are true Mags. Or calling wheels "RIMs' for that matter, when only a certain kind of wheel (Where the Rim of the wheel and the Hub are not cast in one part, usually Spoked) is an actual Rimmed wheel.
Distortion 5.0 is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
CRW
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster
Too bad you not closer, I have the spindles/hubs/LCA/end links/rotors/calipers/wheels (jeeze) etc from my 89. I upgraded it to the 93+ spindle so I could upgrade the brakes.

If the car can be aligned then I don't see the spindle being a problem (bent where it goes between the UCA and LCA, or the part the hub mounts to) but anything is possible. Was it a side impact or a straight on impact?
I did have it aligned, and the numbers were good (as I recall, I need to find the sheet.)

It was an angled impact. I was making the right turn from Pearl street eastbound onto 55th street southbound, and hit the curb on the right side past the crosswalk where it juts out into the street slightly. Hopefully the google map link will work.
Google Map!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortion 5.0
It would be as if the alignment was off, and it could even be binding slightly.
How are modern alignments done? Do they hang the targets on the wheels or mount them on the flat spots on the knuckle? If the knuckle is aligned, then the spindle could be bent relative to the knuckle (it would take a lot of force to do that) leaving an alignment problem. On the other hand, if the plane of the wheel is aligned, there should be any problems unless the wheel was wobbling. Since the
rim is different, that seems unlikely.

Still stumped...

Clint
CRW is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:00 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortion 5.0
That's called the "Steering Knuckle" The spindle is a smooth pointed shaft upon which wheel bearings are ment to glide. I don't think that the steering knuckle itself would bend at all before it broke, (and I doubt it would break)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortion 5.0
I'm just refering to the terminology I learned in Automotive School.
I'm sure as long as people know what your talking about you can use lots of things interchangably, like calling all wheels with a certain look "mags" when only magnesium wheels are true Mags. Or calling wheels "RIMs' for that matter, when only a certain kind of wheel (Where the Rim of the wheel and the Hub are not cast in one part, usually Spoked) is an actual Rimmed wheel.
Now learn the terminology Ford uses in their technical service literature.

Since your getting all technical about it, Ford describes this suspension component as a "Hot forged, one-piece front wheel spindle (3105) with integral caliper anchor plates."

So technically it's not a "steering knuckle".
Southpaw is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome