another sn-95 hub swap question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

another sn-95 hub swap question

in the tech article for the sn-95 hub swap it said that i need to change spindles if it is older than a '93. why is that? what is the difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 02:24 AM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
its been a long time since I swapped my spindles, so I dont remember looking at them side by side, but the newer spindles are such that they accept the Mustang calipers and brackets. And its possible that the earlier style spindles use different bearings and hubs (if this were the case, it would make it impossible to use the sn-95 bearings and hubs), but I don't know that for sure. The earlier style spindles just dont fly.

Swapping to the new spindles isnt that tough, and it shouldnt be tough to find a set here.

math > pasta
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

i just did a search on the auto zone web site and compared the part numbers for pre '93 and '93-up t-birds. rotors and hubs were the same numbers,but the calipers were different. i still dont understand why i need newer spindles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 03:56 AM
PostSkank

I believe the biggest issue is mounting the calipers. The newer spindles accept mustang calipers and brackets as outlined in the article. The will not bolt up to the older style spindles. Now, I suppose you could try to design and fabricate an adapter to mount the mustang brackets to the earlier spindles. That, however, will undoubetdly prove to be a large PITA. And more effort than just swapping to later style spindles, which is a relatively easy job.

math > pasta
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 03:58 AM
PostSkank

I am taking it for granted that you are moving up to the mustang's 2 piston PBR calipers at the same time.

edit: Do you have a plan for the rear wheels and brakes?

math > pasta
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Spacing

Hello

Yes there is a spacing difference.

In fact I have had both on my car(right side). Keep in mind the end links are different at the spindle end. So if you pick up newer spindles get the sway bar end links also.

Paul

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 08:23 AM
PostSkank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtess View Post
Hello

Yes there is a spacing difference.

In fact I have had both on my car(right side). Keep in mind the end links are different at the spindle end. So if you pick up newer spindles get the sway bar end links also.

Paul

10-4 on that. Mine were still on the spindles, just make sure to make it clear you need the endlinks as well.

math > pasta
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I think you will find that the reference to the 93+ spindles refer to upgrading the brakes, not the hub swap. I am pretty sure (but I haven't done it) that you don't need to upgrade the spindle for the hub swap.

But after suffering with the brakes on my 89, I did the spindle swap and put on Sport brakes and they are 1000x better, being able to put the Mustang PBR calipers is now possible as well (and I might do that so I can go back to being able to use my 15 inch wheels if need be).

I don't think that stock 93+ brakes are any better than pre 93 brakes, but the spindle allows you to upgrade like mentioned already. Also the older spindle the actual wear part of the brakes is part of the spindle, and on mine it was grooved and worn pretty bad, where the pads seemed to not want to smoothly travel, with the new ones it sits on a bracket and not only is it better material but replaceable.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:33 AM
PostWhore

That is correct. If you only want to change the bolt pattern, and not worry about a brake upgrade, then a spindle swap is not required.

cheers
Ed N.

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast Ed N View Post
That is correct. If you only want to change the bolt pattern, and not worry about a brake upgrade, then a spindle swap is not required.

cheers
Ed N.
thats what i figured. i just want to change bolt pattern for now,do brakes later. Thanks to everyone for your help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in