Clunks & whines - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Clunks & whines

Well, for the clunks i've pretty much discovered my strut rod bushings at the arm are shot on both sides, and my Sway bar end link boots are both torn on both sides. Also the UCA boot on the left side is shot so I'm going to replace that before taking any chances with losing a ball joint lol. All of that and the sway bar bushing on my passenger side looks to have ripped along the bottom.

So I'm replacing all of them, but I'm just wondering if this part works for the strut rod bushing? I have already ordered one, but it's only for one side, and the box says "Rear suspension bushing" but looks just like the picutre. And if it is the right part, does the smaller end go in towards the control arm? (I might end up ordering these part from Fordpartscounter, but I'm wondering if this is the right part or not)

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...ype=76&PTSet=A

Then also, I have a problem of what sounds like bad brake pads, at times when I'm turning. I'm not applying the brakes at all, but while turning (to the left only I think, but then agian it could be both ways) I will hear something that sounds like what the breaks start doing when they start getting worn. Not sure what to do for this as I've never known about cars and I'm pretty much learning and fixing things as they go wrong with my cougar. When I do the suspenion work mentioned above, I would like to also do this work too, if there is any needed if the brake pads just need replacing, or if it could be a problem with something help.

Thanks for your help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 03:12 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to frankjc
That looks like the right part. Looks alot like the TRW kit, but nothing like the OEM ones.
If it says rear, it's probably because it's for the rear of the rod.

Drive it like you stole it!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 08:11 PM
4th Gear Poster

cantthinkof1,

frankjc called it - it is a TRW part. Don't know how your budget is, but the same site (as well as Advance Auto) sells the complete lower control arm with the ball joint and frame bushings installed, and that same bushing set for $57.48. It's listed for a Super Coupe, but the only real difference is the shock mount bushing material... a little higher durometer (harder) rubber. They're TRW parts. I just ordered a pair through my local Advance store. Only takes a day. One was missing a ball joint nut, but they just "stole" one from a ball joint in stock. And yes, the rear strut bushings and were included. This is my second set of "SC" lowers.
Lower Control Arms
I've never been able to figure out their pricing... you buy the replacement control arm for an LX, it's $71.48 with NO rear strut bushings. Go figure! It's been priced that way for quite a while. If you know of someone who has a commercial account with Advance, they can be had for under 50 bucks each.

Best of Luck!
That is all...

Experience is simply knowing what not to do... and knowing what won't work.
The Car... 324,201 and still goin' strong; Me... I'm NOT a complete idiot - still missing a few parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Like I said, I have a good idea whats wrong. My Lower Control arms look fine, it's just some bushings here and there.

Front Strut Rod Bushings at the Arms
Front Sway Bar Bushings
Sway Bar End Links **
Front Left Upper Control arm **
Nut + Bolt at balljoint/spindle

I have the parts marked with a **, but for my upper control arm it didn't come with a bolt to connect the ball joint to the spindle, so I'm trying to find one of them.

Thanks thus far.

Last edited by cantthinkof1; 03-29-2007 at 07:46 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 01:51 AM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

What about reusing your bolts???

I reused my bolt that connected the upper control arm ball joint to the spindle due to the bolts that came with my upper control arms order from super coupe performance did not work right. The head of the bolt on the OEM ford bolt is square and fits in the spindle right snug. The SCP bolt didnt do that because of the big rounded bolt hex head didnt clear the square angular shape of the spindle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in