Simple circuit for an ABS valve body bleeder. No need for a T90P-50-ALA - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By donate12

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Simple circuit for an ABS valve body bleeder. No need for a T90P-50-ALA

Iíve put together a cheap and easy ABS brake bleeder circuit for us! After pouring over the electrical schematics and finding a nice source online (I will edit and give credit due to them when I find it again), I found it pretty easy to do. All you need are two cheap switches and some wire. The pump motor, relays, and valves/solenoids are all ground switched. Attached will be a quick schematic of what I used and Iíll write a description below in case the attached image disappears or someone wants more info. Feel free to modify it or let me know of changes and Iíll update it. I have not seen the insides of the T90P-50-ALA but imagine it does about the same thing, minus a microcontroller to handle the automatic timing of the motor (we all can count to 20 and 60secÖ).

This is designed and tested on my 1996 TBird, 4.6L, with traction control
1) Disconnect connector to ABS control module (55pin connector in driverís side wheel well)
2) Pins 1 and 19 are grounds. You only need one of them. Connect either one of them to one side of each switch.
3) To activate the pump (via its relay) and main ABS relay (under hood), from the other side of the first switch, run wires to pin 15 (pump relay) and pin 34 (under hood main relay). Side note: you can jumper 1 to 15 (or 19 to 15) at any time to run the pump motor. The key doesnít need to be on. However, the key needs to be on RUN for the main relay under the hood to activate (needs to be activated to open OUTLET valves). Thatís it for switch 1
4) Switch two needs four outputs going to pins 2, 18, 21, and 36. These are the OUTLET valves/solenoids within the ABS valve body. The INLETS are always open so you do not need to mess with them at all. So switch two is simply; ground coming in one side and four leads out to the four outlet valves. Thatís it!

I put the two switches in a crappy box to make myself feel better. Then hooked up all the wires (with the key off). Then with the key in the RUN position, I activated the pump switch, waited 20 seconds and then pressed the valves switch to release the trapped air. Remember, you can get the pump to run without the key on but the main relay (under hood) with not ďswitchĒ without the key on. Meaning, the valves will not open without the main relay. Thought my design was flawed until I realized I simply forgot to turn the key onÖ Ford service manual says their T90P-50-ALA runs pump for 20sec., then press valve button for 20sec., and then let pump run another 20sec. after you release the valve button. I donít like rules so I pressed the valves open and closed a few times while not counting.

Future modifications: I have not added control to the traction control OUTLET valve yet. I was more concerned with getting this to work and getting my car moving again. That valve is virtually the same as the other valves so an extra (5th) wire to pin 40 may be all that is needed. Without seeing the inside of the ABS valve body, Iím not sure if it really is necessary to have, put on a different switch, or clump it with the other OUTLET valves on the same switch. It would be easy to put all this on a ďtimedĒ circuit, if you so desired. The ground switching in this circuit only has to supply a signal to the relays so it doesnít need to handle the high current sides. Again, I am open to ideas. Enjoy!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrakeBleederPlans.jpg (248.9 KB, 1 views)
beechkid likes this.

Trust me. I was almost a doctor once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 09:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Nice. I will have to do this, this winter. I've been chasing an air pocket somewhere in my brake lines for the last 5 years and this is about the only thing that I haven't done yet. Plus my ABS light usually comes on when it tries to do the self test (relay or pump), so I'll just kill two birds with one stone.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:27 AM
5th Gear Poster

Nicely done. Another option is Forscan, of course your way forces it on for as long as desired.
https://forscan.org/home.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
I don't recall Forscan even being able to talk to the ABS system. I'll have to look at it again. It would be a lot more convenient!

Trust me. I was almost a doctor once.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:22 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by donate12 View Post
I don't recall Forscan even being able to talk to the ABS system. I'll have to look at it again. It would be a lot more convenient!
I was thinking the same thing. Unless I missed it Forscan didn't do much on my Cougar besides OBD codes, and maybe activate some emission devices for testing...

However on my 02 lincoln it can access just about everything the dealer is able to.

96 Cougar Sport - T45 Swapped
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:19 AM
5th Gear Poster

My Cougar does not have ABS, I've used Forscan to exercise the ABS on my 01 Ex, so I could be wrong.

Tags
abs beeder , abs control module , abs valve body , t90p-50-ala

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in