TCCoA Forums banner

Experimental 3D pic

2K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  johnaec 
#1 ·
3D allows you experiment...

See less See more
#4 ·
LOL

The "chin" kind of looks like a jet intake... but it's an experiment in pixels so nothing's lost.

I was working on it while the Angles were beating the Giants.

Actually 3D isn't a drawing process.
You create wireframe representations of things, (vertices, lines, and faces) then apply all the values, like color, shininess, reflection, gloss, transparency, shadows, specularity, etc. Then you tell the computer to render the image with all of the values you assigned.... and you get an image. It's a LOT of work, but the nice thing is that I can take the camera and move around the objects, or move the object and get all of the proper perspectives without having to redraw by hand every frame like a 2D or cell animator does.

#5 ·
CyLum-
What software are you using? I use LightWave 6.5 at work, and keep telling myself I need to try to model my bird, but keep putting it off...:rolleyes: That and I'm much better at animating than modeling.;) Very nice job though!

Peter

#7 ·
Yep it's a great 3D program

I use Lightwave as well. Version 7.5

I did not create the mesh on this one though. I got it at least 4 or 5 years ago... and I can't remember where. I did do the texturing (color, reflective, gloss, etc.) and set up the Layout scene for rendering. Oh, and I created the "Mig" chin.:xpp:

I think I'll keep experimenting until I get something I like.

Thanks for the good words guys.

#8 ·
hmm, dunno what this has to do with exterior parts of the car, so off to misc. it goes

#9 ·
Ground FX experiment

I wasn't sure, but since it had to do with creating something for the exterior of the car, I put it there.

Other people are using Photoshop to alter the paint and removing door handles and side pieces and putting them in the exterior forum, so it seemed like the logical thing to do.

I'd like to encourage other people to create something new for our 95 Birds. Right now there are only 2 GFX kits for our cars (that I know of), and I'm not really crazy about either one of them.:)

#10 ·
Very impressive model..

Did you create it yourself??? Is it to spec?

#12 ·
Yes, yes! Post the wire frame!:D :D :D

Peter

#14 ·
ugh

No interior,... unless I feel REALLY ambitious. That would be many, many hours of work.:xpoh:

#15 ·
poof, it's back, sorry bout the brain fart earlier today

#16 ·
Joel It's cool!!!

:xpcool:
Hey everybody come on come on...

I'll post the TBird object if you guys will come up with some new GFX concepts.

#17 ·
CyLum sent me a copy of his LightWave .lwo 3D T-Bird file, and I've converted it into .3ds for 3D Studio/3DS Viz users, .dwg for AutoCAD users, and .dxf for other users. I'll post them on my TCCoA webspace later today or tomorrow so users can try them out, (assuming that's O.K. with you, CyLum?). Also, what versions of AutoCAD are users using?

#19 ·
Heck yeah, it's cool, but...

I tried to upload the file on the TCCoA web space already, and it won't let me because it's not an accepted file format. Maybe you'll have better luck. I was going to try and set it up on my personal web set through Road Runner, but I haven't had a chance yet. :xpcool:

#20 ·
You're right - apparently TCCoA doesn't take .zip files either, so I posted them at my markviii.org webspace. I also zipped them up for smaller transfer size. Here are links:

Lightwave .lwo file http://www.markviii.org/~johnaec/95_T-BIRD_Surfaced_LWO.zip
3D Studio .3ds file http://www.markviii.org/~johnaec/95_T-BIRD_Surfaced_3DS.zip
AutoCAD R12 .dxf file http://www.markviii.org/~johnaec/95_T-BIRD_Surfaced_DXF.zip
AutoCAD R14 .dwg file http://www.markviii.org/~johnaec/95_T-BIRD_Surfaced_DWG.zip

Let me know if you have problems downloading - I'm at work right now, and the firewall won't let me test this. (I'm sysadmin here, but don't want to go to a different machine right now.) :)

#21 · (Edited)
CyLum, your timing is perfect! I was just discussing the creation of a Thunderbird as a 3rd party add-on car for the computer game "Need for Speed High Stakes".

I would like to ask your permission to use your 3D model for this project.
If granted, I would reduce the poly count to somewhere between 1000 and 3000 polygons (maybe change the body to a 93 SC), model an interior myself, and create a photo-realistic skin.

Of course, you would be given full credit as the original author of the mesh.

What do you think?

BTW, did you use blueprints to create the mesh? If so, could you please e-mail or post them? Of course, being an MN12 enthusiast I like to collect that sort of thing.

#23 ·
I did not create the original mesh of the unmodified and untextured bird, so no credit has to be given. The mesh was given to me by a friend of mine in the business about, 5 years ago, because they knew I had a '95 bird. I'm not sure where he got it from, but it may have been a Viewpoint model. That's all Viewpoint does is create meshes.

I did do clean-up of that model (stray points, polys, surface naming, etc). And any of the 3D images I posted on the TCCoA board that have color, reflection, specular, etc. attributes.... and other mesh modifications such (side pipes, GFX, "CrazyBird") are things that I did develope and model.

The best way to create an original version of any car is to go and take a lot of photos. Get the car straight from the from, each side, and the back. Then pull the images up into the background and lay out points right on the images. I created a 65 Mustang a few years ago from scratch using a plastic model and photos and it came out nice. (It's somewhere in my collection of archive disks, but I have no idea where right now.} :)

Anyway, have fun with it. I really want to see other people create new GFX parts (or whatever) and add it to the mesh.

#24 · (Edited)
Oh well. I can get Illustrator and Paint Shop Pro to open the file to see that there is a top view of a wireframe for a 94-95 MN12 but can't get it to open or import into Maya 4.0:zdunno:

I also have TrueSpace 3 and 4, along with some version of Poser and Bryce. Guess I could install those and see if it will work in any of those.

#25 ·
According to my translator program, in addition to the above formats, I can alo export it to the following formats:

3D Studio Binary - (*.prj)
3D Studion ASCII - (*.asc)
DirectX - (*.x)
Inventor - (*.iv)
Lightflow - (*.py)
Quake2 - (*.md2)
OpenGL - (*.cpp)
POV-Ray/Moray - (*.pov, *.mdl)
Raw - (*.raw)
Renderman - (*.rib)
Digistar ASCII - (*.vla)
Alias Wavefront - (*.obj)
VRML - (*.wrl)

If anyone wants the file in one of these formats, let me know. Unfortunately, unlike the earlier formats, I don't have the programs to test the above to see how the translation holds up.

#26 ·
I got it to open in Bryce and TrueSpace, but if you want to export it to obj so I can open it in Maya, it's a much better program.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.