TCCoA Forums banner

4R70W Internals??

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  SilverFox 
#1 ·
There is a fella that lives close to me that has some 4R internals. I would like them for my next AOD build. I know how to check for the Mech OWC, but how do i tell if it is the Low gear set? Anything else I should look for to verify?

The 4R came with both the high and the low and early models had the roller OWC. He said it came out of a Van, but I have been told that there were no 4R's in vans.

#2 ·
The ring(gear) that connects to the output shaft on aod and aod/e's is smooth on the outside and slightly smaller than the 4r70w version. the 4r70w is larger so it has a machined down edge in it to prevent it from hitting the case. The easiest way to identify them is by that ring gear.
Alan

#5 ·
Well, according to jerry's article, only mustangs and crown vics/GMs/TCs came with the AODE - so if it's not from one of those built before 1996 then it will be a 4r70w.

#7 ·
He's a little busy running a chip company and dyno tuning a few thousand cars...

#10 ·
I hear ya there. but these parts are just loose out of the tranny, I assume he wants next to nothing for them. I have kinda abondoned the idea of putting them in my AOD since it would require me to swap out the gears I JUST PUT IN!!!!! I put in 4.10's and the 4R ratio would make it a 4.8!!!! That is a little high for a stock 5.0. I also would have to downgrade my governor......

#11 ·
SilverFox said:
I hear ya there. but these parts are just loose out of the tranny, I assume he wants next to nothing for them. I have kinda abondoned the idea of putting them in my AOD since it would require me to swap out the gears I JUST PUT IN!!!!! I put in 4.10's and the 4R ratio would make it a 4.8!!!! That is a little high for a stock 5.0. I also would have to downgrade my governor......
If you say so. Personally I think the aod gearset should be destroyed and all of the 4r70w gearsets installed in all of them.
Alan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.