TCCoA Forums banner

NX dry kit

3K views 44 replies 10 participants last post by  VicRattlehead 
#1 ·
Will one work that is off of a 98 gt?

#2 ·
Yes!

#4 ·
NX does (or did, can't seem to find it listed anymore) have a dry system available. Not sure on how it would be set up though, as I never looked at it personnally or have had onyone with one around. I don't think it came with a way of it adjusting the fuel pressure like the ZEX kit, so making sure you didn't run lean would mean lots of time on the dyno getting it just right.

#5 ·
What I actually thought that I was looking at turned out to be a zex dry kit for a mustang. I have to wait for bidding to end. But right now I am just looking for something that will hold me over until I can get the extra cash it will take to do everything I wanted. Nitrous could be a big part of it. Since everyone seems to have great success with there zex kits I shouldn't be worried aobut using one in my engine.

#6 ·
yea the zex kit is great. part # 82015 is the one that works best on our cars. you wont be dissappointed.

#7 ·
Yeah I am just looking for a good deal on them. The cheapest I have found was like 480.00 shipped and that is just for the basic kit. No bottle gauge or purge.

#9 ·
To be the quickest off the line, your nitrous system must deliver pure liquid nitrous from the first instant. A Nitrous Purge Kit will clear unwanted vapor out of the system to assure rocket-like starts, essential for beating the competition off the line. A purge kit will use a solenoid and delivery system to create the "snow machine" effect every racer wants.

A Nitrous Purge Kit is essential for squeezing the vapor out of your system, keeping it ultra efficient. Though a nitrous system can operate without one, it can never do so at peak performance. In fact, without a decent purge kit, you can never be a major-league racer.

From article insider.com.

They are on ebay all the time as by it nows and most of them are new. Check it out.

#10 ·
or you can use the el cheapo purge kit like me. hit the nitrous while your doing your burnout and that will clear out all the crap before you take off. and as for finding a cheap set-up, try either ebay or corral.net. i got mine off of ebay with a bottle heater and pressure gauge for like $320.

#11 ·
The one that I was bidding on went way out of my price range. Like all the way to 560.

#13 ·
I actually just sent him an offer. I was looking a corral and never found this

#14 ·
u can find them on corral, modular depot, or ebay for around $300-$350 used. new you can find them on ebay for around $475 or summitracing.xcom for $509. i got mine from summit. a purge kit and bottle heater are neccessary to get the best performance out of your nitrous set up. a heater is the most important though. like ford fanatic said, if you dont want to spend the extra cash on the purge just make sure you go wot for a second in your burnout. i wouldnt recoomend doing the whole burnout on nitrous though.

MadeinDade, a purge kit isnt just for show although thats reason ost people have them. also the zex nitrous kit is extremely easy to install. all you need is a drill, some sockets and a ratchet. i've never installed a nitrous kit before and we got mine done in about 4 hours. also, your from NC, there are tons of active tccoa members intaht area that i'm sure would be willing to help you out. trust me, the zex kit is idiot proof.

Frank

#15 ·
I thinkt that with the bottle heater I would be worried about forgetting to turn it off and having a big boom!! from outside by or should I say in my car. I think that I remeber seeing pictures on here of a guy who did just that and his car was in his garage.

#16 ·
i believe all bottle heater (i know the zex one) will shut off before it goes boom. the zex heater is just like a thermostat, it turns on at x degrees and turns off at y degrees. a heater is really a necessity to keep the bottle pressure where its supposed to be. the purge kit is nice to have if you have the money, but you can get by the ghetto way like me (and im too lazy to wire up the switch),

#17 ·
Well we will have to wait and see what the guy on corral says. Then should I be concerned about a tune. I am only planning on running a 75 shot to be safe and ensure that I can make everything last on my car until I have the new motor being built. I haven't read to much about the tuning aspect and what octane rating, etc.

#18 ·
im running 50 shot without a nitrous tune, i dont know about 75 though. that might be pushing it. as for upgrades, everyone recommends the following for anything over 75: adjustable fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure gauge, 255lph fuel pump, and nitrous tune. and you'll definitly want to run premium when you plan on hitting the juice, or you might be looking for a new motor. read up in the nitrous section and you'll see a couple of guys that have done just that.

#20 ·
Bottle heaters and purge kits can be had for around $85-$115 each depending on where u get it.

Like ford fanaatic was saying, a bottle heater is really a neccessity to get optimum performance from the nitrous kit. optimum pressure is 950-1100 psi. on a cold day without a heater bottle pressure will sometimes drop below 500 psi which means if your runnign a 75 shot, you wont actually be getting 75 horsepower.

there is 3 different types of heaters; temperature regulated, pressure regulated and unregulated.

temperature regulated heaters (such as zex) will keep the bottle a cosistent temperature regardless of bottle pressure. it will only heat up to 85* even if the bottle hasnt reach your desired pressure. these are the most incosistent of the three types due to pressure variances with the outside temperature. second most expensive.

pressure regulated heaters (such as nx) will regulate bottle pressure by keeping it at a given pressure. it might be regulated to 1100 psi so it will continue to heat the bottle, regardless of temperature, until it reaches 1100 psi. These are the best type of heaters because they give you the pressure you want all the time and they're safe unlike unregulated heaters. most expensive.

unregulated heaters will give you whatever pressure you want. you have to keep an eye on the gauge all the time though. this is the type of heater you hear about that causes things to go boom. this heater does the job well but is the most unsafe of the three. cheapest.

i have the zex heater and the highest my pressure has ever gotten is to 900 but its usually aroun 800-850, whichy isnt really to good. i wouldnt recommend this heater. i wish i had this information avaiable to me before i bought a heater because i would have bought a pressure regulated one.

Frank

#21 ·
Alright, I've been looking on Ebay and it looks like the bottle heater will run about $115, and the purge kit about $100. Now I just read something about a remote bottle opener. I guess I will need this if my bottle is in the trunk, huh? And that looks like it will be another $200. This stuff adds up quick, but if I could get someone in the NC area to help me install it, I 'd be willing to pay that much for the kit.

#22 ·
MadeInDade said:
Alright, I've been looking on Ebay and it looks like the bottle heater will run about $115, and the purge kit about $100. Now I just read something about a remote bottle opener. I guess I will need this if my bottle is in the trunk, huh? And that looks like it will be another $200. This stuff adds up quick, but if I could get someone in the NC area to help me install it, I 'd be willing to pay that much for the kit.

yea a remote bottle opener would be cool, but for $200 i'll get out and walk to the trunk to open it. or just leave it open if i know i'm going out cruising just in case anything pops up that i want to race.

Frank

#24 ·
MadeInDade said:
So what happens if you leave the bottle open and end up not "hitting the switch"? Can you just go close it later and everything will be alright?
yup. i usually just go close it and then purge the left over nitrous vapors out of the lines to keep them clean and clear.

MadeInDade said:
And can I put a NX pressure regulated heater on a Zex bottle?
yes. most nitrous stuff is interchangeable. i use a nos purge kit with my set up becuase it was $20 cheaper than the zex one. like i said, if i had know about the different types of heaters, i would have a nx heater instead of a zex heater right now. i still plan to switch eventually.

Frank

#25 ·
FordFanatic said:
im running 50 shot without a nitrous tune, i dont know about 75 though. that might be pushing it. as for upgrades, everyone recommends the following for anything over 75: adjustable fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure gauge, 255lph fuel pump, and nitrous tune. and you'll definitly want to run premium when you plan on hitting the juice, or you might be looking for a new motor. read up in the nitrous section and you'll see a couple of guys that have done just that.
Just to add to this...I'm running a 75 shot on my stock bottom end (136K). I've got a 255 pump and 24# injectors (for the heads, but this helps anyway) And 2 good nitrous tunes (one pulls 3* and one pulls 6* IIRC) I only run 92 or 93 oct gas at all times in my car (this is to get away with running 6* advanced n/a) I also have an afpr, although I haven't had to adjust it for running the juice (yet) It is set at 40 psi. With that setup and the 75 shot, I netted about 60 rwhp (no bottle heater) so you can see where the extra fuel requirements come in.

Joe

#26 ·
Here is what I got, need a tune, don't actually need a purge just a slick way to do it, should have a bottle heater. I wonder how much the shop would charge to dyno tune the car.

Anyways does anyone have any really good pictures of there complete install from the trunk to the engine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.