Climate Control Stuck on Cold - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Climate Control Stuck on Cold

I've got a new problem with my climate control unit on my 97 Cougar. Heat and A/C work, but it's currently stuck on the Cold air side. Occasionally, it was switching to heat, when I turned the dial, but now it's stuck on Cold air. All the vents switch properly from floor to vent to defrost, etc. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, but it started shortly after I had removed the climate control head for access to some wires that I wanted to examine. (Stereo antenna lead) I don't see anything damaged,broken or disconnected. My Haynes manual wiring diagram sucks, so any suggestions would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:38 AM
Kind of slapped together

First - pick up a Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM) off Ebay for your 1997.

Second - Pick up the factory service manual (FSM) for your 1997.

Third - The blend door on the manual temp control head is electric/electronic; I'd triple check the wiring AT the blend door actuator (flat box bolted to the HVAC box with three screws in the top three ears; bottom ear is left open.)

Past that, it's time to start walking through the Ford FSM and EVTM.

RwP

Fuelly
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

That sounds like a good place to start. I'll pickup some literature that's more accurate than what I have, like you suggested. Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:26 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I just realized while searching some other stuff, that this could be a vacuum line disconnected/broken.

The manual climate controls in some cars are vacuum, and if you pull the line off, it defaults somewhere.

Take apart what you had apart, and look carefully for a disconnected vacuum line.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:43 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I second Ralph, check the wiring going to the warm/cold section of the climate control head, and trace it back to make sure it didn’t get damaged when you pulled it out. There are three wires and all of them run directly to the blend door actuator connector.

If this all checks out your blend door actuator may be bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I just realized while searching some other stuff, that this could be a vacuum line disconnected/broken.

The manual climate controls in some cars are vacuum, and if you pull the line off, it defaults somewhere.

Take apart what you had apart, and look carefully for a disconnected vacuum line.
The blend door was mechanical(cable actuated) on the 89-93s and electronic on the 94-97s. Vacuum is used to open/close the floor, vent, defrost and fresh air doors, but these won’t alter temperature going through them the way the blend door does.

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in