LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_97tbird View Post
Sounds like a lot but damn that looks good. Did it effect how bright your light were much?
Nope, same output before/after. The key is masking the crystal reflector sections on the backside of the housings, that’s what spreads the beam. The ribbed and flat areas painted over don’t do anything.

Use green automotive masking tape if you go through with this, regular blue tends to peel off the plastichrome plating
CDsDontBurn likes this.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
The AED is definitely an option that will work and still be CA legal. There's a guy in the Fresno area selling a kit. Not sure if he's already sold it though. I haven't seen him post in quite some time.

Then, I have this. Not sure if this info is still relevant or not, but these are a list of supercharger kits that are CA legal. You'd probably have to go through all the CA paperwork process, then get it checked out by a state referee and whatnot before you get a "seal of approval".

As for me, I think it'd be easier to have two engines for the car. The "go-fast" engine, and the "sniffer test" engine. The "sniffer test" engine would also double up as the "fix it ticket" engine, lol. Sure, it'd be more work, but getting around the system is easier than working with the system, IMO.
Yea i have had a few people tell me two motors would almost be easier than worrying about keeping it cali legal but if i were to do it id want to go all out with a built up cobra motor or something haha, and i already have a vehicle my father and i plan on building up. It needs somewhat of a full rebuild, also plan on putting a 302 in it(1988 Ford Ranger GT) Id love to have multiple projects but unfortunately dont have the time or money to do all of them the way id want.. Anyways back on the allen option who near Fresno had one or is there somewhere i could buy the full kit new or "like new", and how difficult is all this paperwork ive seen people running forced induction around so it seems doable. Oh and the image you put up says its broken
post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I can't find the guy's posts. His name is Cruz. He had a '97 T-Bird that he went matte black on with 5 spoke 20" wheels. It looked sick. I don't remember his username on the forums and checking his FB profile, it seems he hasn't been on FB since late last year.

I didn't post up an image. I posted up a PDF file.

And since I brought it up, if you're on FB, here's the link to the TCCOA FB page. A few of us from the forums are on it and some are not. Some members of the FB group are oblivious to the forums and / or don't want to be on the forums. It's not particular wealth of information like the forums are, but they are by far more active than the forums. So if you're in a pinch, can't find the info you need, and need help ASAP, post there and someone will likely help you find your answer.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:35 AM

Garage
I don't remember a 3rd cat. The new system came with 2 LR cats and the crossover pipe. I think it cost me around 240 for the galvanized system. Stainless was much more.
Keep and eye on ebay. Stuff like this pops up all the time.
post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:41 AM

Garage
Hey Robert..I checked Ebay out of curiositry and yep, the mandrel dual exhaust system is on there. You can get the true dual exhaust pipes with crossover for $215. Make sure your looking at the right ad though. Some have the crossover, some don't. If you want to spend the extra money,a stainless steel system is available. Living in California, I'm sure the aluminized system will hold up just fine.
post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway pirate View Post
Hey Robert..I checked Ebay out of curiositry and yep, the mandrel dual exhaust system is on there. You can get the true dual exhaust pipes with crossover for $215. Make sure your looking at the right ad though. Some have the crossover, some don't. If you want to spend the extra money,a stainless steel system is available. Living in California, I'm sure the aluminized system will hold up just fine.
I checked them out, looks good to me. Any idea the weight difference between aluminum and steel for that. Id just need mufflers to complete this system right, if i were to replace the cats later
post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:22 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I took the MBS kit they sent to a local shop, and bought their cheapest mufflers for ~$25 each; it's loud as fuck, but sounds really good.

The 2.5" pipes are significantly louder than the 2.125" pipes, with the same mufflers.

You can get better mufflers from summit for ~$150; that's almost as much as the kit, but a lot quieter.

I'd go magnaflow 3 chambers, if you want quiet.

The X-pipe sounds Great when you jump on it.

Like removing the intake silencer, it makes the throttle response much nicer.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
I checked them out, looks good to me. Any idea the weight difference between aluminum and steel for that. Id just need mufflers to complete this system right, if i were to replace the cats later
Its aluminized steel. Basically steel that has been hot dipped in an aluminum silicate alloy to resist corrosion. Even in CA, you will still want to paint it to help with corrosion protection esp around the weld points.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminized_steel

IMO, your biggest expense on a MES package will be the labor costs to weld everything together. I did it myself with my welder and self-taught myself how to weld well enough that the system doesn't leak. If you paid someone to do the work, I suspect you'll spend at least as much as what MES charges to put together the new system for you from the cats backward.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

How have you guys done the cats did you have them hollowed(i think thats the term) or buy new high flow ones?
post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:38 PM
Kind of slapped together

MES does offer a stainless version.

RwP

Fuelly
post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
The stock cats are high flows. Hollowing them out will hurt performance unless they were clogged to begin with.

-Matt
post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
The stock cats are high flows. Hollowing them out will hurt performance unless they were clogged to begin with.
This car seems to come with quite a few thing others dont from the factory. Didn't know they were high flow. Oh right and what i thought was the 3rd cat at first is just the y pipe i believe.
post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
That I did not know!
Quote:
This car seems to come with quite a few thing others dont from the factory. Didn't know they were high flow. Oh right and what i thought was the 3rd cat at first is just the y pipe i believe.
On the 97 and only 97 models, the Y-pipe is a 3rd CAT. Just an FYI.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
That I did not know!
The most use of aftermarket “high flows” is the increase in pipe diameter to match the rest of your system. You won’t see a performance gain with them in a A-B test

Quote:

97 are the same as 94-96, only exhaust change is 94-95 has a resonator behind the third cat, 96-97 doesn’t.

-Matt
post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
. Anyways back on the allen option who near Fresno had one or is there somewhere i could buy the full kit new or "like new", and how difficult is all this paperwork ive seen people running forced induction around so it seems doable. Oh and the image you put up says its broken
I wasn't aware AED was still even considered an "option" .. far and few between these days, that was a long time ago.

What paper work are you talking about ? There are no papers. Anything is possible until you get caught and your car is impounded. If you really need to know what is involved, It has been posted on these forums in detail .. otherwise the CA DMV website has a link to the BAR and what you need to know before you even consider investing time and money into a project that would require taking your car in for a referee inspection.

Quote:
How have you guys done the cats did you have them hollowed(i think thats the term) or buy new high flow ones?
Don't mess with your cats unless they are bad its illegal in all 50 states. This exhaust system is not going to gain you any performance value whatsoever .. mufflers will make the car louder. That is all.
post #46 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Quote:
That I did not know!
The most use of aftermarket “high flows” is the increase in pipe diameter to match the rest of your system. You won’t see a performance gain with them in a A-B test

Quote:

97 are the same as 94-96, only exhaust change is 94-95 has a resonator behind the third cat, 96-97 doesn’t.
So that is a 3rd cat how does that work with the mandrel dual setup, you just discard it?
post #47 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:34 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:

Ahem.

No, the Y pipe is a cat on my 1991 Cougar XR7 also.

Or was ...

There's a resonator bolted to the end of it, before anyone claims it's the resonator.

Walker claims the rear cat is a 15022

RwP

Fuelly
post #48 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:29 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
So that is a 3rd cat how does that work with the mandrel dual setup, you just discard it?
Basically, yeah. Put an X or H pipe in its place run to the mandrel rear pipes. This may be difficult for you in California, the front two cats alone will usually meet minimum standards through a sniffer, but by the book it’s law that the third cat remains and you’ll fail visual without it. You could install a Y pipe off the third cat into the duals if all else fails.

-Matt
post #49 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Ahem.

No, the Y pipe is a cat on my 1991 Cougar XR7 also.

Or was ...

There's a resonator bolted to the end of it, before anyone claims it's the resonator.

Walker claims the rear cat is a 15022

RwP
Yes, the Y-pipe is in all model years. However, in the 97 model year specifically, the Y-pipe is the 3rd CAT.

Quote:
Basically, yeah. Put an X or H pipe in its place run to the mandrel rear pipes. This may be difficult for you in California, the front two cats alone will usually meet minimum standards through a sniffer, but by the book it’s law that the third cat remains and you’ll fail visual without it. You could install a Y pipe off the third cat into the duals if all else fails.
In regards to X or H pipes here in California, I spoke with my emissions guy regarding this. He told me that so long as there is a secondary set of CATs behind the primary CATs, it would still meet California sniffer standards. I'm going to be following this when I get to my exhaust mods.

The way I plan do it on my car would be to attach the secondary CATs directly behind the X-pipe.

post #50 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Damn your gonna have 4 cats? Do they sell them with the cats on behind the x pipe or the guy is gonna put it all together
post #51 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:32 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Yes, the Y-pipe is in all model years. However, in the 97 model year specifically, the Y-pipe is the 3rd CAT.
That’s not unique to 97, it’s a third cat in all 4.6 cars as well as others. It was a third cat in my 94.

Quote:
In regards to X or H pipes here in California, I spoke with my emissions guy regarding this. He told me that so long as there is a secondary set of CATs behind the primary CATs, it would still meet California sniffer standards. I'm going to be following this when I get to my exhaust mods.

The way I plan do it on my car would be to attach the secondary CATs directly behind the X-pipe.
That’s good! That’s how my exhaust is right now, using a stock 4 cat 03 Cobra midpipe for the front half.

Quote:
Damn your gonna have 4 cats? Do they sell them with the cats on behind the x pipe or the guy is gonna put it all together
The further downstream cats are from the engine the longer they take to adequately light off and do their job.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 08-13-2019 at 05:51 PM.
post #52 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Is there a performance gain to the true dual setup from mandrel or would a good cat back system give the same? What else is available besides something custom, believe i saw a flowmaster cat back but it may have been for the mustang
post #53 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:05 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
And in my 1991; not just 1997.

RwP

Fuelly
post #54 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
The flowmaster systems are no longer available. Doubting anyone else makes a performance kit either at this point. The only place to get a more complete kit is through Super Coupe Performance, but open your wallet wide!
post #55 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post

And in my 1991; not just 1997.

RwP
My 91 LS 5.0 had the third cat, then resonator at the Y, too. Sounds like it was maybe a V8 thing.
post #56 of 70 (permalink) Old Today, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Has anyone used the auburn gear limited slip/trac lock in there diff?
post #57 of 70 (permalink) Old Today, 01:22 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

After reading their product info, I'm not confident it'll work out of the box. If you read the product fitment, just about all of those Ford vehicles it fits into are solid rear axle, and you must remember we have IRS. If anything, this is one of those times I'd get something from SCP. I say this because the FRPP unit is no longer being made.

AFAIK, the track-lok unit from SCP is a Yukon unit. Someone who has purchased the unit would be better able to tell you that information.

post #58 of 70 (permalink) Old Today, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
After reading their product info, I'm not confident it'll work out of the box. If you read the product fitment, just about all of those Ford vehicles it fits into are solid rear axle, and you must remember we have IRS. If anything, this is one of those times I'd get something from SCP. I say this because the FRPP unit is no longer being made.

AFAIK, the track-lok unit from SCP is a Yukon unit. Someone who has purchased the unit would be better able to tell you that information.
I was also looking at the Yukon units i was just wondering if anyone here had used those before and if it worked. Some came with a factory limited slip by ford right? How do you figure out which have it and which dont without tearing it apart?
post #59 of 70 (permalink) Old Today, 04:15 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Get the car on a lift and turn the rear wheels. If they both turn in the same direction, it's a traction lok.

You can check the door tag axle code to see if it came factory equipped, but if you're not the original owner it may have been swapped out.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #60 of 70 (permalink) Old Today, 07:30 AM
PostWhore

Not many came with Trak-loc, so it will be slim pickin's in the boneyards. Try car-part.com.

Although I am glad I added it, there is a downside - these cars wheelhop when both wheels are spinning. Even just stepping on it a little to make some noise = wheelhop, which sucks.

The only fix is replacing EVERY bushing in the rear - some with stronger parts. That is a JOB, and I won't be doing it. Even my mechanic (who knows these cars better than anyone) is reluctant to do that job.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in