TCCoA Forums banner

Custom Driving Light Locations...

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Falcon5783 
#1 ·
well i was thinking about installing hellaff75 driving lights..*had a bad experience with night driving awhile ago and i want more lighting for now*..i already am pleased with having my PIAA foglights in the foglight holes but i want to add driving lights in the other inserts in my bumper

i want to install them there but how would i go about takin the black inserts out?..would i have to remove the whole bumper or jus reach under the bumper and have them pulled out?..i always wanted to mount driving lights there but how would i go about this?..would that look weird or anyone think i should do that?.

-Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
isnt it illegal to drive around with driving lights on?

i thought i read that somehwere.

#3 ·
I think in some states, fog lights are to be on in conjunction with the low beams and driving lights can be used with the high beams. In other states, driving lights can only be used off road.

Mike--I don't think those are "inserts". I think they are part of the header panel or bumper support (or something like that) and are there to direct air towards the radiator for cooling. If you really want to take them out, just cut the fins. I don't know how it would affect the cooling though. Also, be carefull of the ABS sensors. I know they are behind the bumper cover somewhere but just don't know their exact location off the top of my head.

#6 ·
fog lights illuminate light up front and the sides of the car..thats what foglights are for no?..foglights are used during foggy conditions to light up the floor and not blind people...driving lights i believe light up fowards in front of the car for a better driving condition...

imagine silvertar headlights with PIAA foglights and hella driving lights...mmm can we say yum?

-Mike

#11 ·
I'd have to agree, lights in that spot aren't going to look good (there's actually a guy locally I've seen with lights there... looks horrible IMO)

What' I'd do in your situation though is throw the driving lights in the fog light holes and then stick the fog lights side by side up under the middle (tucked way back)

or if you can find a decent set, get something like i have with driving lights and fog lights in the same housing (4 bulbs - 55W each). Doesn't work too bad, but the set I have is rather yellowed...

#14 ·
My FF75 driving lights were about the best $40 I ever spent. However, new headlights aimed properly might just solve everything for you, as yours are quite ****ed. In the areas I drive the driving lights are pretty much needed, and they shine a good half a mile ahead.

#15 ·
well i aimed the lights and everything is waayyy better than stock but still i wanted to add to what the silverstars dont do..hmmm putting foglights in the middle tucked back sound like a good idea..But wouod i have to put the drivign lights in the middle seeing how they are driving lights and would i keep the foglights in the foglight holes cuz they are meant for lighting up close to the ground?..

u trying to land airplanes with ur headlights??
DURRHHH!!..lol

-Mike

#16 ·
well i aimed the lights and everything is waayyy better than stock but still i wanted to add to what the silverstars dont do
What the silverstars dont? :confused: I have silverstars and they are amazing, there is no way you should need 2 extra sets of lights. I plan on getting some extra foglights eventually, but it's almost pointless because I don't really need them. By no means at all do I think you should have 2 extra sets of lights, it's way out of control. Not only will you be blinding other drivers and making a dangerous situation for yourself and others, but you are making your car look like a Christmas tree. Keep the silverstars, have an extra set of lights to use in nasty weather, but sell off the extra set of lights and then no offense but do something to your car that serves a purpose.

-Joel

#17 ·
Keep the silverstars, have an extra set of lights to use in nasty weather, but sell off the extra set of lights and then no offense but do something to your car that serves a purpose.
*SLAP*...why thank you...i needed that :)
ionno i guess i wanted the most lighting seeing how theres a road i drive home on that scares the crap out of me..and a week ago there was a little pile up and i could see a little outline of the accident but i couldnt see THAT far..so slammed my brakes and ended going in the ditch..funny that the car is ok no scratches *trust me took like 30 minutes checkin mah baby*..no damage drivetrain wise..and i wasnt pleased with my silverstars..i thought if that i coulod see a little farther i would have seen them..yea silverstars do rock vs stock but my girlfriends STOCK camry 9006 headlights are brighter..wth...

instead of adding more light maybe i could improve it?..say..a competition lighting harness for our 9007's?..any where that i couod find a set besides abay?..

-Mike

#18 · (Edited)
porkchop2oo2 said:
well i was thinking about installing hellaff75 driving lights..*had a bad experience with night driving awhile ago and i want more lighting for now*..i already am pleased with having my PIAA foglights in the foglight holes but i want to add driving lights in the other inserts in my bumper

i want to install them there but how would i go about takin the black inserts out?..would i have to remove the whole bumper or jus reach under the bumper and have them pulled out?..i always wanted to mount driving lights there but how would i go about this?..would that look weird or anyone think i should do that?.

-Mike
First off you bastage, you jacked my idea; FF75 fogs and FF50 driving lights.

Fogs are supposed to be stay down low, they have a short wide beam pattern to help illuminate the sides of the roads & road lines. Driving lights have a thin long a$$ beam pattern to see far ahead at night. Both have a very low cut-off.

To mount the lights in the air inlets (ff50 or 75) you'd have to take the bumper cover off, cut off the fins that direct air in, and mount the lights to the header panel or the frame cross-member.

Laws about running/driving lights vary from municipality to municipality, you'll have to check with your county/state patrol

Personally, I think if done right it'd look pretty sweet to have two sets. Besides, I like the idea of having HID high beams, fog lights & driving lights lighting the CRAP outta the road when you don't gotta worry about other ppl being around (all the time when I drive)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.