Florida alert ! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Florida alert !

The legislature of the great state of Florida , In their infinite wisdom has seen fit to raise the fine for running a stopsign,stoplight from $60 to $250...
That was yesterday, and Lonnie allready has his $250 contribution assigned, and I also witnessed a Sheriff in Citrus County deliberatly laying in wait for someone to run a stoplight on Hwy 19.... Took him about 3 minutes to get someone, so I suspect this will be a big thing with the spectacular raise in revenue the new legislation engenders throughout the state
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Braincoating! It's what all the cool kids have!

Administrator

One more penance we must pay for not having a state income tax.

www.BRAINCOATING.com..... Powder & Ceramic Coating

WWW.PRESTONSBOOKS.BIZ..... Books at really great prices!
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 04:12 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Grand_Marquis_GT Send a message via Yahoo to Grand_Marquis_GT
As long as they dont implement emissions testing, I'll be ok.

If your arm doesnt hurt, you aint shifting it hard enough!
1995 T-bird LX (Sharky) Third cat/muffler delete, 2200 stall, J-mod, Mechanical Diode, 3.27 trac-lock...
Cosmetic: Clear Corners, silverstar 3157s, Hoodpins, cheadlight covers...
Pros: Good on gas, faster than the merk at the moment
Cons: Multicolor paint.
1984 Grand Marquis "GT" Coupe 302 HO/Tremec 3550 swap in progress, suspension mods galore, and a killer stereo.
Pros: Comfortable, better stereo.
Cons: Sucks gas, slow (Till I get that motor in )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Whining Intakes Rock

Darn and I was wanting to run a few stop signs today...

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 06:38 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Well, just this morning (0530), I'm sitting at a stop light and watching the crossing road light go yellow then red... and I continued to watch and not budge even through I had the green for a good 5 seconds..... Because the approaching car that was hauling arse didn't even attempt to slow down!!

Had I not been paying attention, I would have been T-boned… in the Aspire... by someone in a Buick doing about 50 - 60 mph!!

If you break the law you should be willing to pay (you know the ole “Play have to be willing to pay” thing). If is $50 or $250, you were still breaking the law.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Florida
Darn and I was wanting to run a few stop signs today...

People run red lights up here really bad...dangerous and stupid and for what? To save 2 minutes. Really pisses me off.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmguy

People run red lights up here really bad...dangerous and stupid and for what? To save 2 minutes. Really pisses me off.
ive avoided a few t-bones from douchetards who have run red lights....

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:59 PM
PostWhore

Guess they weren't happy with the revenue being generated by FHP and their rolling radars even after I contributed $81 just last week + driving school next week.

Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are:
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 09:34 AM

well.. just don't run a freakin' red light... in my driving experience I have never run one (that I know of). If I do run one and get caught, I deserve to get a ticket. $250 for a fine is better than paying thousands of dollars to attorneys because you ran a red light and hit someone and there wasn't a copy on the corner to intimidate you into "not" stopping..

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpilone
well.. just don't run a freakin' red light... in my driving experience I have never run one (that I know of). If I do run one and get caught, I deserve to get a ticket. $250 for a fine is better than paying thousands of dollars to attorneys because you ran a red light and hit someone and there wasn't a copy on the corner to intimidate you into "not" stopping..

Y'all juuust dont get the point... theres a bunch of troopers/ sheriffs, and other asst "Officer Friendlies" out there that are doing highly motivated judgement calls on wether you rolled a stop sign,(a subject worthy of a long and serious discussion, but not here) and wether you made it through on the yeller light or not... He!! ya cant slow down to 20 on the highway to APPROACH a stoplight, and some are gonna be quicker than others.... Dont you think the local constabulary know of the quicker than average lites, and with the added financial incentive are just laying in wait for you to come close to screwing up...It is not a fair world out there, and I was trying to alert a few of us with brain cells that arent overloaded wirh holier than thou indignity to be a tad more careful.(Thats not you jplione, stay in your ownn little opinionated world , and outta mine).. Stop for a 3 count at the sign , maybe again as you creep out, stop fully when the cop is in sight. make it obvious you stopped and you know it, so he has less chance of screwing you. As for the traffic lites , use a little xtra caution, as "close" is going to be weighed on the side of the fines......
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 03:27 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94t-birdlx Send a message via MSN to 94t-birdlx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland Jacobson
I was trying to alert a few of us with brain cells that arent overloaded wirh holier than thou indignity to be a tad more careful.
So what you're saying is that now you should really make sure to stop when you're supposed to.

I guess their legislature worked...

"Technical skill is mastery of complexity while creativity is mastery of simplicity."
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

Stopping at a stop sign... hmmm

# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 04:24 PM

I got a ticket 12 years ago for rolling through a stop sign. All it took was one ticket to make me come to a complete stop..

if you think you're unfairly busted by a cop, plead not guilty and take it to court.

but, not to be blunt. it does boil down to actually coming to a complete stop and/or not running a red light. let's not make this a flame war.

own little opinionated world ?? That's a surefire way to start a flame war..

Quote:
Y'all juuust dont get the point... theres a bunch of troopers/ sheriffs, and other asst "Officer Friendlies" out there that are doing highly motivated judgement calls on wether you rolled a stop sign,(a subject worthy of a long and serious discussion, but not here) and wether you made it through on the yeller light or not... He!! ya cant slow down to 20 on the highway to APPROACH a stoplight, and some are gonna be quicker than others.... Dont you think the local constabulary know of the quicker than average lites, and with the added financial incentive are just laying in wait for you to come close to screwing up...It is not a fair world out there, and I was trying to alert a few of us with brain cells that arent overloaded wirh holier than thou indignity to be a tad more careful.(Thats not you jplione, stay in your ownn little opinionated world , and outta mine).. Stop for a 3 count at the sign , maybe again as you creep out, stop fully when the cop is in sight. make it obvious you stopped and you know it, so he has less chance of screwing you. As for the traffic lites , use a little xtra caution, as "close" is going to be weighed on the side of the fines......
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:

one of those nice guys in the crown vic snagged me at 2am coming out of work because i didnt come to a "complete" stop.

but then again, ive had a few idiotse blow a light when mine has turned green and glad it didnt jump ye pedal.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 01:42 PM

florida sucks....but i have to live here for now...at least i cant complain about it being cold or emission testing...that would suck
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 02:04 PM
PostWhore

Garage
I lost my 80 Bird when moving from Florida to Dallas. An illegal alien-Mexican with no license, no insurance blew a light passing a line of stopped cars in Arlington, Tx and T-boned me doing about 50-60. I wasn't sure what was happening my car was being pushed from the passenger side, the window was cracked (before it blew out completely) so I couldn't see out. My glasses then flew off out the broken passenger window - found them on the ground. Welcome to Texas.
I don't have much sympathy for running red lights. To top it off my insurance company wouldn't renew me because of the one speeding ticket I got a year earlier and this "accident involvement". They had to pay with my "uninsured motorists" coverage.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 03:42 PM

Quote:
If you break the law you should be willing to pay (you know the ole “Play have to be willing to pay” thing). If is $50 or $250, you were still breaking the law.
The point of this is I did stop for the stop sign. What the cop saw was me going past the sign and continuing on making a right turn. He assumed I didn't stop. When I tried to point out to him that I did stop he got an attitude claiming that he saw me not even slow down. Reasoning with the man did no good.

Why with the amount of money I have invested in my car would I take a chance in not even stopping or looking before turning on to one of the most busiest streets here. I would have to be a total fool to gamble not getting hit.

This is one of those that driving a car with flames does no good, you are automatically guilty no matter what. There's no winning it in court since it is his word against yours, been there done that.

I get pulled at least once a month. This is the first ticket though in many many years. I have proven to others riding with me that I don't have to do anything to get pulled or let me rephrase that. I don't have to break the law to get pulled.

The last one I had someone in the car and some ricer punk was messing with me. The passenger wanted me to race him. I told him no I can't chance it with this car since it stands out so much. He didn't believe me. So up the street I where I know the cops sit I told him watch and you will see. Just as I got up to the cop I clicked off the OD and the car down shifted raising the exhaust tone. I didn't increase speed at all, actually slowed down a mile or so. By the next light he was behind me with his lights on. I was under the speed limit at the time also.

The cops first words were "So you mind telling why you are in such a hurry". He was convinced that I stepped on the gas and was speeding. I talked myself out of a ticket but it was way to close. He had no radar on me but he said he could tell by the exhaust note and his training that I was well over the speed limit. I wouldn't have been able to win that one in court either, your word against theirs.

And my exhaust is quieter than these new cars coming off the dealer lots. It's the car and how it looks that gets the attention.

I stop at least a full car length behind cars, I don't take off as soon as the light changes. I see at least one accident a week where people take off as soon as the light is green and get taken out by someone running a red or yellow.

And people here think a stop sign means slow down and throw a beer bottle at it. They rarely ever stop and that includes the cops. I ride my bicycle everyday for exercise so I see them all the time and know all their hiding places. But then they are above the law. The cop that ticketed me, I seen him coming down the road, now why would I run a stop sign if I seen a cop heading towards me?

The other thing is, that corner I was pulled is a trap. The cops sit there and hide behind the work trucks waiting for speeders coming from the 3 speed shops. We have Reinhart's place and 2 others that are across the street from each other within 50 yards of each other. So knowing this why would I chance running a sign?

Well I signed up for traffic school to give the state more money and keep my points down. That's about all you can do.

Last edited by Lonnie; 10-07-2005 at 03:48 PM.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 03:48 PM
Boom.

Clay County

TCCoA Gun Club

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Clay County
Naaah , its everywhere, when the fines are excessively high to generate revenue, and youre driving a slick, "Sick", or flamed, bird ,cougie or MK VIII,
Just like Lonnie . My point is ,the cops are gonna make more biased judgement calls ..... the bias will be towards issueing fines....In order to avoid this you must do a little xtra to minimize getting that fine..... I got my last moving violation in 1964, 41 years ago. Now on an average of at least 20K a year, thats over 820,000 miles ticket free, and only 1 accident, where I was rear ended by a truck in a construction zone, so altho I drive fast cars, I try to remain inconspicuous, and avoid cop confrontations. having said that, I find that I am "puckering up" a
tad more with those higher fines
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie
The cops first words were "So you mind telling why you are in such a hurry". He was convinced that I stepped on the gas and was speeding. I talked myself out of a ticket but it was way to close. He had no radar on me but he said he could tell by the exhaust note and his training that I was well over the speed limit. I wouldn't have been able to win that one in court either, your word against theirs.
HUH? Where in Florida is this that a cop can simply testify to a judge that "I had no radar on me but I could tell by the exhaust note and my training that he was well over the speed limit"

Short of the cop outright lying that you were speeding so fast as to be recklessly driving (in which case I would be asking the Judge if thats so why didn't he ticket me for that offense as well!?) he's got to have calibrated proof you were speeding or it's "case dismissed!" bam...

Every speeding ticket I've ever gotten in FL states right on it how fast I was going and what the posted limit was.

get up, stand up for your rights man! last ticket a local yokel wrote me was dismissed in court. Everyone else before me sure seemed to be guilty verdict but if you **** don't stink and you can coherently make your (verifiable) point the case is getting dismissed.

I suspect the yokel just used the "speeding" BS as the excuse to pull you over on a fishing expedition expecting to find all kinds of other stuff to write you up on or bust you for.

When your **** didn't stink and he didn't have any excuses to search your car etc., and you politely rejected his voluntary offer to kindly search your vehicle he backed off cause he knew he was boned...otherwise he would of wrote your butt a speeding ticket.

Last edited by Southpaw; 10-08-2005 at 03:35 PM.
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 04:38 PM

I didn't get a speeding ticket in FL, I got a running a stop sign ticket. The speeding was an example of what I was stopped for the last time.

I'm not going to sit and debate what is right or wrong or how the law is suppose to work. I am stating facts from my personal experience dealing with cops. They don't need to prove crap-olla. I've been in the courtroom and have lost with only the cop’s word, no radar no nothing. Only way to win is buy an expensive lawyer.

Today leaving the house I counted 6 different cops just hiding out behind signs, bushes and buildings, this was within 2 lights of my house and probably just over a mile of road. That's how ridiculous it is.

Even my next door neighbor who is a cop says that the cops in this area are totally out of control at times.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
When your **** didn't stink and he didn't have any excuses to search your car etc., and you politely rejected his voluntary offer to kindly search your vehicle he backed off cause he knew he was boned...otherwise he would of wrote your butt a speeding ticket.
Have you ever "politely" refused to let an officer search your vehicle? It'll be real fun handcuffed on the side of the road until the dogs come. Then they covertly "wipe" some "training liquid" on your door as they pass by, dog reacts and guess what.. probable cause. You're getting searched.

In some places, refusing to let them search is probable cause. You can't win when a cop has the holier-than-thou attitude. Especially in Florida with a "taser first, who gives a crap about the questions later" policy.

# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Well, thats all correct, but being a tad older, haveing a "Right'' address, and the name of your lawyer handy are all mitigating circumstances.... Dont get me wrong again , blustering, and throwing your weight around (as I am used to doing )will just not get it, But cops tend to pick their battles so they can win, and that means useing reasonable approaches to administering the law , both street justice, and courtroom style. Trick is to not initially P!ss 'em off with harsh pipes that rattle and rap, lay big patches of rubber in front of them, and anything red (red car , red flames, red pin stripes red windshield wipers .... God, how I hate not having a lipstick red car!) as to the matter under discussion, I.E. , stop signs and lights.... be sure that you stop at the sign , pull out, and stop again before entering the intersection, and stop again if infact you see a cop lurking.... With stop lites, juuuust make darned sure you dont come close to running that light as close will now be held against you every time. Another point, do not argue eat the ticket, and sand bag the cop in court with a competent lawyer...............
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 07:12 AM
Whining Intakes Rock

The only time I lay rubber is during a 1 > 2 shift. Sometimes I can't help it. Just keeping up with the flow of traffic chirps the wheels.

The only time I would run a yellow is when hitting my brakes will lock up the wheels. Or a dump truck is on my arse.

# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The only time I lay rubber is during a 1 > 2 shift. Sometimes I can't help it. Just keeping up with the flow of traffic chirps the wheels.
HMmmmm? sounds like you have a bad 1-2 accumulator? I dont even chirp 2nd when going full-tilt-boogie in a 13.6-13.9 quarter mile pass, go figure......
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Boom.

Quote:
HMmmmm? sounds like you have a bad 1-2 accumulator? I dont even chirp 2nd when going full-tilt-boogie in a 13.6-13.9 quarter mile pass, go figure......
Nah, Al's accumulator is fine. It's tuned a tad, ahem, aggressively...

[/understatement of the century]

TCCoA Gun Club

post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

Should clarify and say that's not the only time I lay rubber but the most common. I try not to floor it from a stop.

Quote:
It's tuned a tad, ahem, aggressively...
It's tuned for whiplash

# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

I would be afraid of tying knots in my axels , especially with the comp T/A drag radials.Of course I dont know what I will end up with when I put myself in Darrin and Alan's hands shortly , Up in Ohio
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Have you ever "politely" refused to let an officer search your vehicle? It'll be real fun handcuffed on the side of the road until the dogs come. Then they covertly "wipe" some "training liquid" on your door as they pass by, dog reacts and guess what.. probable cause. You're getting searched.

In some places, refusing to let them search is probable cause. You can't win when a cop has the holier-than-thou attitude. Especially in Florida with a "taser first, who gives a crap about the questions later" policy.
The short answer is YES, at least a few times in Lee county and Cape Coral, politely, and have never been cuffed and had to wait while some dork *** cop set me up for a probably cause situation...

I have never had a cop go ahead and search my car against my wishes, at least not here in Florida any... then again I'm not some punk *** looking kid or a rice boy either and don't act like an ******* when they pull me over for some bull**** fishing expedition reason.

More often then not I've driven off without even having been written a ticket because the bull**** reason they pulled me over for wasn't a violation. Cape Coral police are rather proud that the drunk driving arrest numbers in the city are some of the highest in the state (per capita), they love to pull you over if they think your vulnerable but dammit I'm never drunk when they pull me over, wasn't speeding to start with and my car and I are 100% legal so they quickly realize their **** out of luck and move on to the next fishing expedition...

I'm always polite and try to be respectful but I don't take any crap from my local yokel cops, I know when I can and cant do and I don't see any reason to give them an inch...
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Whining Intakes Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
I'm always polite and try to be respectful but I don't take any crap from my local yokel cops, I know when I can and cant do and I don't see any reason to give them an inch...
I had a cop almost put his hand through my windshield when I, calmy and politely, asked him what the offense was. He got pissed off that I asked him a simple question, calmly and not with a snotty tone. He wrote me up a ticket for overdue inspection (this was in NJ) kept me there for 30 minutes. Yeah I deserved the ticket, not disputing that. Oh and 2 other cops came by just to put on a light show. I think one had donuts. Granted, this could have been rare and your situation normal. I just have never been pulled over alot to compile an accurate comparison.
Although, I was a passenger when a cop pulled over our ambulance. We were enroute to a non-emergency call. Driver was speeding but not bad. Cop pulled us over and I bet he would have let us go with a warning if the ahole driver didn't start mouthing off to the cop. Something like; "Cmon man why the F are you hassling us for? Can you make this quick we got a patient to pick up." I knew he was done for. Cop just said, "Ok I'll get you right on your way as soon as I finish writing this ticket.". sucka...

# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in