Can Someone Recommend a Shop In WPB? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Can Someone Recommend a Shop In WPB?

Greetings,
I am having some issues with my trusty 94 Cougar (3.8 of course). I am thinking that the head gaskets have gone south on me. I have the knowledge to replace them, but with my job, HOA and back problems, I do not see me doing this job in my driveway.

If anyone knows of a reputable guy who can do it in WPB, I would appreciate it. Thanks much.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 06:49 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkadder
Greetings,
I am having some issues with my trusty 94 Cougar (3.8 of course). I am thinking that the head gaskets have gone south on me. I have the knowledge to replace them, but with my job, HOA and back problems, I do not see me doing this job in my driveway.

If anyone knows of a reputable guy who can do it in WPB, I would appreciate it. Thanks much.
you may talk to " http://forums.tccoa.com/member.php?u=3378 "
Good luck !!!!!!!! MAIC

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks very much, I just sent him a pm. Hopefully the old girl will hold together for a few more days....

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Just an update, I called the shop that usually works on my car, and found out they want almost $1900.00 to to the job. New (reman) heads, gaskets and all the other stuff that goes along with it.

I think I might be looking for a new ride this weekend... perhaps something with a nice 4.6.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 01:56 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkadder
Just an update, I called the shop that usually works on my car, and found out they want almost $1900.00 to to the job. New (reman) heads, gaskets and all the other stuff that goes along with it.

I think I might be looking for a new ride this weekend... perhaps something with a nice 4.6.
there is a white 1995 , 4.6 down the street, i can stop and get more info on it .
thats all i know of right now.
MAIC

for your CAT, just make shure you allways good on water and oil

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 06:55 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

I think Preston may only charge you half that for labor.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Well, I found a 97 Cougar 30th Anniversary in Jupiter on a lot (financing is necessary at this point). They want about 5k for it, it is a 3.8 (drat!) but it only has 37k on the clock. I am going to check it out tomorrow and see if it is as good as advertised.

At this stage of the 94s life, I think it is time for her to go. Today I noticed that the radiator is leaking (probably why I can still drive the car, since it can't build any pressure). I am just afraid that if I fix the 3.8 then the trans may die, and on and on with little things that actually add up to big things.

I am still open to suggestions for repair shops or people who can help do the job, but I will need to do something soon, since the 94 is my only transport.

Thanks.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Braincoating! It's what all the cool kids have!

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Florida
I think Preston may only charge you half that for labor.
That is probably right but I would have to powdercoat something
I don’t have any suggestions for local shops i'm afraid (and i've lived here for over 20 years.)
Being that I do stuff here at the casa, I am limited in terms of quantity of work I can do and I
have a short line of people waiting for some of my attention right now so I don’t think I can get it done
in a timely fashion without these other folks praying for additional hurricanes to hit us.

www.BRAINCOATING.com..... Powder & Ceramic Coating

WWW.PRESTONSBOOKS.BIZ..... Books at really great prices!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdbrain
That is probably right but I would have to powdercoat something
I don’t have any suggestions for local shops i'm afraid (and i've lived here for over 20 years.)
Being that I do stuff here at the casa, I am limited in terms of quantity of work I can do and I
have a short line of people waiting for some of my attention right now so I don’t think I can get it done
in a timely fashion without these other folks praying for additional hurricanes to hit us.
Oh geez.. you said the H word... Way to go bud.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks for the info tbirdbrain, I guess I am off to the dealer later today. Hopefully I will be bringing home another shiny new MN-12. I guess I will have to take better care of this one than the last.

By the way, thanks for using the H word....now I gotta go put up my shutters just in case one sneaks up on us.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Well, the dealer that had a 97 Cougar tells me he sold it this morning (yea, right) I guess this weekend, I am off in search of another MN12. Joy!!

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 05:48 PM

hope you didn't buy a car yet.. if you did, hope it was a 4.6...

in 2001 i bought a '93 'bird with a 3.8. 25k miles on it. 2 weeks after taking delivery it blew a head gasket...

did all the work myself, took the heads to a machine shop to be checked. put about $300 of parts and machine work into it and it was good to go.. it was about 6 hours to dismantle, about the same to put it back...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I was hoping to do the work on my 94, but since my HOA would go ballistic, I need to find someone to do the work. I have had no luck so far, so I am still searching although not real hard since the car is still running pretty well. Hopefully something will come up and I can get the old girl back up to speed.

The problem with the car I saw at the dealer, is that it is still listed on their site. I had a friend who lives near jupiter motors stop by and ask to see the car, they told him it was out on a test drive, but they had a very nice chevy cavalier that he could drive. They must be using the car as bait to get people into the shop.

Ron

...Semper Fidelis...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

Dunno if you're still looking for a replacement or not, but I saw a 93 Mark VIII for sale last night. Its pearl white with tan interior, 88K, no sunroof, decent michilens, asking $3800. The body looked really good except for a spot on the front of the hood that looked like a half assed patch job, could be completely hidden by a hood bra The interior looked pretty good from what I could see. It was on the south side of Lantana Rd. just west of I95 in a parking lot facing the road. I was on my bike and didn’t have anything to write the number down, but I can go back if you're interested.

Sold = 96 Thunderbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in