TCCoA Forums banner

rear turbo oil supply capacity

1K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  David Neibert 
#1 ·
I'm new here and want to say Hello to all....The rear turbo bug gas bitten and i need some help. I want to use a self contained oil system to feed the turbo....I.m going to adapt a rear differential oil pump[$180] to circulate the oil to the turbo, but was wondering how much capacity of oil would be needed for the holding resevoir???Two quarts of synthetic oil suffice???Thanks for any input.mike.

#2 ·
Are you sure that's a good idea ?

That would mean the turbo receives no oil when the car is sitting in traffic, and since that pump's flow and pressure would be dictated by the driveshaft speed, you get less in first than you would i third.

David

#3 ·
no,you misunderstood, the pump is electrically operated...its originally used to circulate differential fluid....it would pump oil to and from the turbo with ease. I need to know the minimum capacity needed to store oil in a holding resevoir???

#7 ·
I have thought about this same question. You would have to have a really good heat exchanger, with a big fan, and a reservior. I would think that if you got the total capacity up to 3 quarts or above, it should work, but you'd have to test it CAREFULLY. Temperature and pressure gauges would be mandatory, and a pressure switch for an idiot light would be helpful.

Sir Will is right, lotsa heat real fast. The key would be a real efficient exchanger.

#9 ·
Well, coming from the guy who spent 3 months on his back underneath his car figuring out what will mount where and what won't, lemme tell you....

The only way you'd get what you're talking about to work is if you removed your spare tire well and made the trunk floor flat. That's the only way you're going to get enough room to put a resevoir, exhanger, pump and fan under the rear of the car.

The way mine is setup, it would be completely bolt-on to an otherwise stock car. The ONLY things I had to modify on the car were 4 holes to mount the oil pump bracket, one hole to run the boost gauge feed into the car (already there for stereo wire), and one hole in the trunk to pass the wire through for the wideband O2 sensor/gauge that's in my A-pillar. EVERYTHING else bolts on to existing holes. With a lift and the right tools, a person could easily install it in a day.

#10 ·
I like the way that sounds.Keep it simple,right.I think I'll try your idea and pump it back up to the engine[valve cover].i'LL just run the oil lines carefully.Could high pressure rubber hose be used, or does it have to be hard lined???If I used a oil filter relocator kit could those lines be used as supply and return for the turbo???thanks,mike.

#11 ·
You use a braided stainless line for the supply and rubber for the return. The supply is under full pressure from the oil pump as it comes from the same area as the oil pressure sending unit.

#12 ·
You are right (about the space) Sir Will; I was thinking about removing the gas tank and going to a racing-style fuel cell in the trunk, freeing up the area of the factory tank. However, it definately will not be any easier than the way you did it.

#13 ·
Sir William said:
You use a braided stainless line for the supply and rubber for the return. The supply is under full pressure from the oil pump as it comes from the same area as the oil pressure sending unit.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this,SW!!Should i increase the diameter of the oil lines since its traveling a longer distance???

#14 ·
Nope. I run a 3/16" oil line and it's more than adequate. You have to remember that the 4.6L runs a pretty high pressure to begin with. So a 3/16" line to the turbo and a 3/8" from the turbo to the pump and back up to the engine.

There's a new company now that's working on nifty control box to keep the pump at the optimum voltage in relation to boost. More on that later. :D

#16 ·
and one hole in the trunk to pass the wire through for the wideband O2 sensor/gauge that's in my A-pillar.
Bill,

What brand wide band are you using ? I'm still shopping for one and have it narrowed down to the Innovative LM1 or a similar one made by Plex.

David

PS: I expect to have my turbo car at WFC, so please save me a good parking spot.

#17 ·
I'm using the AEM UEGO. It's a 2 1/16" gauge with a Bosch sensor. It's also got two different outputs for use with a datalogger (like the Raptor). I had Dan get mine for me. Seems like it was right around $320 (or was it $420)?

They make a two-channel version that can run two O2 sensors and feed the signal back into your engine management system if you run a standalone system like AEM's or the F.A.S.T. system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.