need some opinions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

need some opinions

well as some of you may know i went from a 93 tbird to a 95 base mark 8. ive done alot of stuff to the mark getting it is where it is today (winsheild, full suspension, tranny, TC, brakes, radiator, tires, full tune up, upper and lower intake gaskets, exhaust)

bought the car for $500 and did all that to it. dont get me wrong its a nice car comfy and has pick up to it.

but im getting to that point where id rather spend more money and buy a car with nothing wrong with it from the start and put money into it to modify it and not have to fix so much of it. my idea within the next year or so would be get into a car in the $5k to $10K range with prob with a loan and whatnot, got a new job.

i set some rules lol
1)under 100k mi(realisticly looking between 60-90k)
2)nice paint job/no rust underneath(or very little)
3)on the stock side so i can modify and know it was done to my liking
4)progressively buy a newer car each time (ex. went from 93 to 95)

i have been looking at 98 LCS's, 2000-2004 GT's and 2000+ Camaro's.

Mustang:
possibly a 5 speed(first stick i would own lol) I KNOW I KNOW i said mustang but the way i see it is, YES they are common and everyone has one. BUT they are a fun little car, plenty of aftermarket, parts are plentiful and cheap(to fix something) and still a ford(which i have been around enough ford motors to get a hang of tinkering with them) dont think there are too many known problems with them(ex 94-95 tbird tranny's suck)

LSC:
well its very comfy but takes a decent amount to make a "quick" car b/c of the weight. air ride is pretty much a ticking time bomb WHEN not IF it will eventually fail on you=pricey to maintain, or convert to coils(have on my 95 now) but if im paying more for a car i want to keep the air ride. plus you can sensor lower it which i like the idea of. headlights are pricey to fix/replace as well as rear neon, blend door for heat is a common break and from what i have read NOT fun to fix.

Camaro:
well i love the front ends....rear im "eh" about and interir is HORRIBLE all plasticy and orange/red dials=FAIL on GM's part but can be some fast cars with the LSX motors. but may cross this off due to interior. dont know about any problems with these...

sorry for the long post but was just looking for some comments/advice/opinions from anyone who has one(knowing this forum i know people do)

thanks guys
Dean

most people talk, but few are up for the moment
-where there's money and imagination, there's cool cars
ohhh the Junkyard , one man's trash is another man's treasure

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current

Last edited by smitty2919; 09-11-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 AM
1st Gear Poster

its a buyers market

You picked a great time to car shop. I browse the internet looking at cars for sale as a kind of hobby. Due to circumstances being what they are, many people are selling their second or third cars. I've seen many ads where people are selling their pet project and the prices are low. I would search the enthusiast websites for cars for sale and look for those cars that already have the mods I'm interested in. I've already seen a couple Tbirds on this sight that had most of the popular mods already done go for very reasonable prices. Maybe you don't want a TBird but enthusiast websites are great places to shop for cars. Most of the owners care about their rides. You really have alot of choices available to you. The price range you are looking at can buy you alot of car right now. I wish you success in the hunt.

I void warranties
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

well thats the thing about mods, some people have them on their car but HOW they got on there is a diff story. i wont buy a car that is "hooked up" only to have problems with how they were installed later on in the cars life. i know what you are saying though.

i search around as well when im bored or i have time, but now i have a little more reason to. i found one 2000 GT with 33k mi asking $10K.

any other cars anyone can think of that would fit my criteria? keep in mind this will be DD and still need to be driven in snow etc. so the crazy mods will not be put on. only think i would think to do off the top of my head would be: lower it, exhaust, chip, maybe gears.

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
maurader.

also, this is moot if you are getting a loan, but just b/c a vehicle has over 100k means it's bad. my expy has just under 123k, and i'd like you to find a tech that would honestly be able to tell it has over 50k. take into account the owner and maintainance records.

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

well i forgot about this thread lol but alot has happened since i asked this question

long story short:
2004 GT 5speed 31K mi, lowered, exhaust and CAI othwerise completely stock...ohh plus a Mach 1 shifter knob ahaha

no interior pics yet tho

ordering some FR500's 17x9 wrapped in 275's and 17x10.5 with 315's

ohh and the grill is getting replaced lol dont worry

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

couple more

from this:

to this:

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
where are you getting the wheels?

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 02:41 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Dean,

I have a Mustang grill if you need one, I bought a bumper cover for my son's car and have this extra one. I also call first dids on the wheels when you get your new ones!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

im getting them from americanmuscle.com free shipping mounting and blancing.

Joe, deff. is it the stock one? how much you want for it? shoot me a PM if you want.

1993 3.8L Tbird----sold
1994 4.6L Tbird----sold
1995 Mark VIII----sold
2004 Mustang GT----sold
2003 Mach 1----current

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in