post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
New Dragstrip!

Bruton Smith looking to build drag strip at Lowe's Motor Speedway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte.com Article

Speedway Motorsports Inc. chairman Bruton Smith confirmed Thursday that he is considering adding a drag-racing facility to the motorsports complex at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

'We are looking at that very hard, yes sir,' Smith said.

Smith pointed to success in hosting events sanctioned by the National Hot Rod Association, whose POWERade Series is the premiere drag racing series in the country, at drag strips that are part of SMI complexes at Bristol Motor Speedway, Las Vegas Motor Speedway and Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, Calif.

'We have had a lot of success and we like what we see in drag racing,' Smith said.

Concord and Cabarrus County officials already have begun preliminary discussions about the drag strip.

Smith contacted Concord leaders within the past couple of weeks to let them know he is considering putting a drag strip adjacent to The Dirt Track @ Lowe's Motor Speedway, which sits just across N.C. 29 from the 1.5-mile trioval track that hosts NASCAR's top stock car series.

Concord City Manager Brian Hiatt said Smith also mentioned his tracks near Atlanta and Fort Worth, Texas, as possible sites for new drag strip, but Smith told the Observer that he's looking to do it here.

"He indicated that if he did this, he'd look for top-level events," Hiatt said.
Some of the neighbors of the track are not to thrilled about the idea.

I personally believe it's not a matter of if but when the strip gets built.

See HERE for the original article posted above.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 07:53 AM
Back in Black

Administrator

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/1894479/
Quote:
The owner of Lowe's Motor Speedway is threatening to shut down the track and relocate it after the city council derailed his plans to build a drag-racing strip at the site.

City officials angered Bruton Smith when they voted this week to change zoning in the city to ban drag strips, addressing concerns of nearby residents worried the noise would disturb their neighborhoods and decrease property values. Smith said his team looked at two sites Wednesday and was contacted by two more sites. He would not say where they were.

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2015 Fusion Energi SE Luxury Magnetic Gray
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA [email protected] 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Bruton is an ass. When I lived in Harrisburg, I could see the track from my house, but could also hear whatever was circling it. that dragstrip would most definatly bring down property values in the area.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
Bruton is an ass. When I lived in Harrisburg, I could see the track from my house, but could also hear whatever was circling it. that dragstrip would most definitely bring down property values in the area.

Weather or not Bruton is an ass I won't argue, however...

I don't see what the difference would be, if any, between the noise from Lowe's Motor Speedway, the dirt track at Lowe's Motor Speedway and the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, all of which are in the same area, and a new dragstrip?

That whole area EXISTS because of that track. Housing, Hotels, Restaurants, the Concord Mills Mall, etc. None of it was there before the track was built. Anybody that moved into that area knew what they were moving next to and, IMO, has no right to complain about the potential noise from a new dragstrip.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 10-05-2007 at 02:28 PM.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

then he should build the strip on the land across the street from the Amaco station on moorehead. and be smart about it, dont just threaten to leave just "cuz".

everyone who lives there, has the right to complain. They live there, they drive by it, they deal with the traffic and the trash trucks on roads that are far overdue for pavement work.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Money talks ...

Concord Backpedals, Bruton Wins...

http://www.dragracingonline.com/colu...t/ix_10-1.html
Quote:
By "Berserko" Bob Doerrer - photo courtesy Berserko Bob - 10/12/2007

I'm sure that most of you have been following the on-going saga of the battle between the Concord (N.C.) city council and billionaire Bruton Smith over the drag strip that he wants to build on the grounds of his Lowe's Motor Speedway complex outside of Charlotte.

Bruton's Speedway Motorsports Inc. (SMI) has been considering building a drag strip on the property for quite a few years. Speculation was that if you build it, they will come. Along comes NHRA who announce that they'll add a new national event in 2008 at a track to be named later.

Bingo! No more calls, we have a winner!

The old man breaks out the checkbook and starts construction on the site, which (and this is the big point) is zoned for motorsports. Well, the word gets around that the drag strip is being built and a couple of hundred homeowners who live nearby organize a grass roots protest and get a meeting with the city council to try to prevent the track from being built. They're worried about noise and (I'm not making this up) fumes.

Now mind you, all of these protesters live in houses that are only a few years old and they knew when they bought their homes and made the decision to live there, that they had a racing complex as a neighbor.

On Monday, Oct. 1, the town council held an open meeting and the result was that they sided with a few citizens instead of considering the rest of the community and amended the zoning to exclude drag strips.

Stuff hits the fan. Bruton announces to the world that if he can't build the drag strip he'll move the whole deal -- NASCAR track, dirt track, everything -- somewhere else. Neighboring counties come a calling offering tax breaks and other incentives.

Now if you think this was a big ploy by Bruton to force the issue, think again. Bruton is the guy who bought the North Wilkesboro Speedway to move the NASCAR date to his Texas track, while North Wilkesboro is still sitting around, doing nothing. Could this happen in Concord?

To use a drag racing term the Concord city council is backpedaling big time. They got hammered by not only the rest of the citizens of Concord who know how much money the Speedway brings to town but also the Cabarrus County Economic Development Council who, in so many words, asked the Concord council "Are you guys crazy?"

LMS generated $169 million in tourism spending for Cabarrus last year, nearly 70 percent of the tourism revenue that came into the county, according to the Cabarrus chamber. And speedway property taxes are worth about $1.02 million to the county this year and an additional $722,247 to Concord.

On Oct. 11 another meeting was held.

The result? Concord City Council members voted unanimously to work on coming up with a tax incentive package for the $60 million drag strip project and for improvements speedway owner Bruton Smith has floated for the race track.

The final meeting on the subject is Oct. 24, when SMI will present their final plans to the council including noise barriers to alleviate the neighbors’ concerns.

Bottom line is that the council's knee-jerk reaction to a few fanatics was overruled by concerned citizens who wouldn't allow a small percentage of the city's residents to ruin it for everyone. Plus Bruton's billions didn't hurt either, huh?

Construction is expected to resume the day after the Oct 24 meeting and with the mild winter weather the region experiences, the scheduled spring of 2008 completion date is easily within reach.

We all know how nice Bruton's other drag strips are (Bristol, Las Vegas and Sonoma) and from what I understand he wants this track to be the biggest, best and nicest drag strip ever built.

Will there be an NHRA national event at the track on Sept. 12-14, 2008? Bet on it.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 10-16-2007 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Spell Check and fix typo's
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

so, where is said strip to be built?

every chunk of property except for the land at Moorehead would intrude upon parking areas.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Smith Unveils Plans for New Dragway

The plans and conceptual drawings are out...

Check it out HERE.

The facility will open Sept. 11-14 with the inaugural NHRA Carolinas Nationals, round 19 of the 24-race NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
so, where is said strip to be built?

every chunk of property except for the land at Moorehead would intrude upon parking areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowes Motor Speedway News
The dragway will be located on 125 acres of LMS property across U.S. Highway 29 from the superspeedway, adjacent to The Dirt Track. The drag racing facility's track, pit areas and midway will cover 46.5 acres, or two million square feet. Engineers estimate construction will require moving 750,000 cubic yards of dirt; placing 65,000 tons of aggregate stone base and paving 50,000 tons of asphalt.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-27-2008 at 09:54 PM.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Koolbreeze

Send a message via AIM to AndyR
Cain't wait till he gets this built and opens it.
It'll be great to have another track close by. and a 1/4mile track less than 3hrs away.

They referred to Bristol being one of his. I've been there. It IS very very nice.

hopefully he'll open it to street cars, test and tune and all that jazz and NOT charge an arm and a leg admission.

could also possibly help with any local street racing issues

She was driving the car, one thumb on the wheel; cigarette burnin, life to her was no big deal.
Her thin, white tanktop was almost see-thru; I've always been attracted to her dragon tattoo.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Ox
6th Gear Poster

September is the inaugural (sp? I just got off a red eye flight) event so it will be ready.

I drove by 2 weeks ago bypassing some traffic-grading etc. is going strong.

95 4.6 [email protected] 1.748 60' (drag tune with drag radials and racing gas) Street Tune: 288HP and 326TQ Body Retired-Engine and other goodies transferred below)

96 4.6 [email protected], 349HP and 380TQ on pump gas and drag radials.

Funded by me built by the man RobertP
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

sweet, now we can show em at autofair and run em at the track when we're done.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Back in Black

Administrator

Yeah, cause no-one else at autofair will have the same idea. lol

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2015 Fusion Energi SE Luxury Magnetic Gray
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA [email protected] 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

shhhhhh, your going to let the secret out.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Ox
6th Gear Poster

It will be good to have some good times at the track right after the show. I'd be surprised to see who really runs their cars vs. just shows them.

95 4.6 [email protected] 1.748 60' (drag tune with drag radials and racing gas) Street Tune: 288HP and 326TQ Body Retired-Engine and other goodies transferred below)

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Update

Dragway Update at NHRA News Dated 4/11/2008

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to punkrokr1701 Send a message via MSN to punkrokr1701 Send a message via Yahoo to punkrokr1701
yay can't wait

98% of teens have turned to rap; if your one of the 2% who still listen to "real" music copy this
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:11 PM

Sweet. It will be nice to have another great strip besides the Rock.

No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Ox
6th Gear Poster

Some construction pictures.

http://charlottemotorspeedway.com/ne...es/530270.html

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
OMFG this rox. I'll be back in the states at the beginning of Sept. My parts are going to be ordered and shipped to my mom's place in Asheville, NC and getting installed... soooooooo we should have some kind of mini meet sometime in Oct before I leave to go back to washington... I'm taking a month of leave from like Sept 20 to Mid Oct... who's up for the idea?

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Wow cool to hear about this

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
There's a new news article about the wrangling that went on between Bruton and Concord that was in the Charlotte Observer today. It has a good time-line of events. It's a lengthy but very interesting read.

http://www.charlotte.com/business/story/618763.html

Related public records documents here:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/ima...dway/docs.html

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
There's a new news article about the wrangling that went on between Bruton and Concord that was in the Charlotte Observer today. It has a good time-line of events. It's a lengthy but very interesting read.

http://www.charlotte.com/business/story/618763.html

Related public records documents here:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/ima...dway/docs.html
I have been by the speedway several times since the announcement but can't see anything going on. Do you know where around the speedway the are planning to build it? LS
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my tb truck View Post
I have been by the speedway several times since the announcement but can't see anything going on. Do you know where around the speedway the are planning to build it? LS
Northeast side of the dirt track. There's a lot of work going on there I'm surprised you missed it.

This map is from today's Charlotte Observer.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

ROFL get this. So apparently my know it all team leader SSgt Rhodes and I were talking about this new drag strip and he was like you mean Rockingham and I said NO a new strip near lowes motor speedway in Charlotte. This guy claims he's has a IHRA pro street or something like that and has this 7 sec camaro... he showed me pictures of "A" camaro... but don't know if its his. he's like mr one upper. But yeah the picture... camero.jpg... all this after telling me hes a huge GM guy and knows everything about them. We got into that argument when I said something about a 68 SS hemi Barracuda. SS is a GM trade mark so it can't be a super street someone put the badges on there. I told him 18 times it was Super Stock and then when I show him all the info he's like you said super street I'm like whatever.

Also I proved him wrong today about Ebola. I said if I survived I'd be one lucky mother ****er. He then is like you'd be the only lucky ****er. I said no people have survived it. He then tells me I don't know what I'm talkin about and nobody has. So what do I do? Goto WHO's sit (world heath organization) and print out the **** from there about Ebola. And the number of survivors ROFL.

Oh yeah and then he procedes to tell me that Bruton Smith couldn't move or close the track because he's part of a council that owns the track and doesn't own it. blah blah blah... Yeah Like I said he talks alot out of his ass. And I owned him. Oh well... he's leaving like June 8th. Thank God.

Alright that's my Stories/Rants for the day. I can't wait to visit this track with my Tbird after all the work. Maybe I'll see one of you all down there. I really need a set of drag Radials but another time. Anyone know where I can find wheels in a mustang bolt pattern for a set of drag radials?

post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Ox
6th Gear Poster

I'll soon have some mustang rims (16x7) for sale that will be perfect for DR's. I'm using 2 for my DR's. LMK.

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Ox this makes me happy. Every where I've called doesn't have any wheels. Of course it would also help if I knew what other vehicles had that bolt pattern. I needed a 16in wheel to clear the back brakes since they have 12 inch cobra Brakes.

What size drag radial do you use on there? I'm hoping to be putting down almost 300 to the ground after the head swap and cams and going with a DD 4k stall converter so I will need as much rubber ont eh ground as possible. But I know the wheels are cheap which is what I'm looking for at this point. My Wideband O2 sensor kit may have to wait So yeah I'm interested. PM is being sent right after this.

post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Well the strip has a new lame name. Courtesy of corporate America.

The new Drag Strip at Charlotte Motor Speedway will henceforth be know as the zMax Dragway.

Stories about the naming charade can be read HERE and HERE. The zMax read is particularly cheesy.

zMAX just happens to be a product that [SMI Chair] Bruton Smith's company sells.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have this great dragstrip nearby. I just wish they'd given it a better name.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-03-2008 at 11:45 AM.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Ox
6th Gear Poster

Oh and rumor is strong that it will be 4 lanes!!!!

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

umm... like 2 tree's type 4 lanes? I don't know how that will work out... unless they plan on keeping half of it open for just street racers and ****. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I'm definitely excited about going to this new drag strip now. I'll meet all you ugly people there in Oct

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Construction update from zMax Dragway

You can see the neighbors of the dragstrip that weren't happy about the strip being build nearby real well in the first aerial photograph of the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA News

5/14/2008

Construction at zMax Dragway @ Concord, which will host the inaugural NHRA Carolinas Nationals Sept. 11-14, is progressing at a record pace. Much of the initial work on the grandstand and tower is already complete, and the whole facility is taking shape, as these aerial photographs attest. The event will be the first of six races in the NHRA Countdown to 1.

More news and pictures from 03/05/08 HERE.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-19-2008 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in