Gas Shortage - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Gas Shortage

As some of you know there's a serious Gas shortage in the Southeast right now.

The lines at the few stations that have gas around here have been unreal. And some stations have completely run out. I've seen police directing traffic around stations here and watching the pumps closely so that people don't start to fight over the gas.

Fortunately for me I got a tank full before it got really bad around here and I'm currently sitting on a quarter-tank hoping that it will hold me over until a new fuel shipment arrives in the area and the lines at the pumps drop down.

I hear that it's even worse in the Nashville area than it is here in Charlotte.

If you've got a story to share about the current gas shortage please share it here.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 09-25-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

same situation up here... all these people waiting in line to top off and fill gas cans is not helping at all.

1997 Thunderbird LX, 4.6L, Performance White.
3.27 TL, 300hp J-Mod, Mid-Mount Magnaflow w/2.25" True Duals to 3" Magnaflow 15* Slash Cut Tips, PI Intake,
FR500 Steering Wheel, FRPP Wires, 180* T-Stat, 22C Plugs, Cobra Vert Rears, RSTB, SC "L" Braces. 175k and still flying!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

thank hurricane ike for the shortage........just a lil shutdown time at the refineries in houston will do that to ya in the southeast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

honestly though why isnt there a shortage of premium? We have tons and tons of diesel too.

1997 Thunderbird LX, 4.6L, Performance White.
3.27 TL, 300hp J-Mod, Mid-Mount Magnaflow w/2.25" True Duals to 3" Magnaflow 15* Slash Cut Tips, PI Intake,
FR500 Steering Wheel, FRPP Wires, 180* T-Stat, 22C Plugs, Cobra Vert Rears, RSTB, SC "L" Braces. 175k and still flying!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
No lines or shortages where I fill up in Huntsville or Cullman.

Back during when Ike was hitting, the place I usually fill up was out of regular, so they were selling premium at the price for regular.

IMHO, the "shortages" are self induced by people topping off and/or filling up gas cans... in anticipation of a gas shortage.

More commonly known as a self fulfilling prophecy.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Iowa Chapter Director
Uber Luber
TCCoAAC Member

The gas stations just dropped their prices yesterday to 3.25/gal here in Iowa
-Thomas

1988 Notch Mustang: - 438W, direct port n2o, t56
2003 SVT Focus: - SCT X3 tuner
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:06 PM
PostWhore

Back in the first week after Ike, someone pulled a knife on another person in a gas line. Across town the same week a guy got shot by police. People get carried away far too easily.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:12 PM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
Quote:
Originally Posted by turdferguson View Post
Back in the first week after Ike, someone pulled a knife on another person in a gas line. Across town the same week a guy got shot by police. People get carried away far too easily.
Jeez,
did the earth suddenly become flat??

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:28 PM
PostWhore

Just a bunch of ghetto a** mofos.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 01:54 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I remember when Hurricane Katrine came through, I lived in Mississippi, getting gas was like trying to win the lottery.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
No lines or shortages where I fill up in Huntsville or Cullman.

Back during when Ike was hitting, the place I usually fill up was out of regular, so they were selling premium at the price for regular.

IMHO, the "shortages" are self induced by people topping off and/or filling up gas cans... in anticipation of a gas shortage.

More commonly known as a self fulfilling prophecy.
I'd have to agree about the self fulfilling prophecy. I think a lot of the problem around here is exactly that - people topping off that don't really need to. The problem is also perpetuated by media hype and the fact that it got really ugly around here when Katrina made landfall. That fiasco is still fresh on everyone's minds.

I did also hear that even before Ike made landfall that the fuel storage tanks for the Charlotte area were considerably lower than normal and some were completely empty. Possibly due to the fact that the refineries in Texas were closed down early in preparation for the hurricanes' landfall. Another theory that I have is that the gas companies are taking advantage of the situation to inflate gas prices and of course their profits. And yet another reason is that the pipeline that provides gas to the area hasn't grown with the city.

The real reason is probably just a combination of all of the above.

Here are todays stories from the Charlotte area.

Lines at pumps continue

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
Gas is plentiful here, i got a full tank of gas for $3.59 i just wander why its so high everywhere else???

I'M BACK
97 Supercharged Ford Thunderbird with warpdrive
Check out my Gallery

vist the Man RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:22 PM
4th Gear Poster

Atlanta has almost no gas, I had to drive into BFE to find a station that hadn't been tapped out. I think all this gas shortage is a load of BS... If were so dependent on foreign oil then why is the Southeast running out of gas when a few refineries get taken out? The oil companies are F'ing with us big time.

97 Thunderbird LX 4.6L
Current Mods
PI Intake Manifold, Comp XE268's, 180 degree T-stat, Brother's Performance U/D pulleys, K&N filter w custom CAI, 75mm TB and Trick Flow plenum, Borla mufflers w Magnaflow tips, Magnaflow straight cats, Summit 8mm wires, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Koni Adjustable Front Shocks, Bilstein Cobra Rear Shocks, Cobra R replica rims(17x9)front (17x10.5)rear
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwiggles2004 View Post
...If were so dependent on foreign oil then why is the Southeast running out of gas when a few refineries get taken out?...
The oil refineries refine oil regardless of where the crude comes from. Shut down the refineries and you shut down the gasoline supply.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Voice/Data Guru

Here in my area Prem 3.80

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Check out this YouTube video of a gas station around the corner from where I work.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 09:15 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Good grief !!!!!!!!!!!! I cant belive what is going on down south, Here in philly today Prem was 3.85 this AM .Came back around the same station at 8 Pm it was 3.76 and Reg was 3.43

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
I was reading yesterday that Charlotte's gas prices are currently 20 cents higher than the national average and it's 30 cents above the national average in Atlanta.

Here's a video from Charlotte.

They keep promising us a "Major shipment" to ease the shortage, but - if it's even here - it just gets sucked up by people hoarding.

And then we've got people stealing the gas.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Honorary Member

Bought gas 3.57 just the other side of Greensboro NC and in Greensboro 3.79 no waiting no problem, in Thomasville no waiting just reg. gas only.

Stock Block, Pi heads, 262 Pi cams, 3:73 gears, nitrous
One fast, bottle fed, bagged bird
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Yea, you've got to go out of Mecklenburg County to get it for anything less than $3.99 a gallon for regular and I've seen it as high as $4.19 for regular. You can't find mid-grade or premium anywhere in the county.

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Trunk what is going on down there bud ? The price up here as been dropping big time

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
I wish I knew what's going on. I think the video's I posted above explain the situation around here about as well as anybody here can attempt to understand. Like they said it's a combination of supply and demand that's driving prices up.

Hell, there was a shipment of 9,000 gallons on it's way to Matthews (South Charlotte) that wound up on the shoulder of the interstate yesterday because the truck driver fell asleep at the wheel. We just can't seem to get ahead. lol.

I put about 5 gallons of reg in the car today at $3.99 that should hold me over for another two weeks (I fly to Green Bay on Monday). Hopefully by the time I get back things will be back to normal.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Yep Mom in WS says that there are lines at just about every station there . Here in philly today Reg 3.49 and Prem 3.73 and I was in NJ yesterday Reg there was 3.25 !! And in NJ its the Law that you cant pump your own gas !

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Paid 3.53 today for the SC.

93 octane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in