Congrats NC, you now pay more Excise Gas Tax to the State than any other State! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Congrats NC, you now pay more Excise Gas Tax to the State than any other State!

Quote:
The state gas tax goes up nearly 4 cents per gallon as of Jan. 1, putting the total state gas tax at 38.9 cents. The tax hike makes North Carolina the state with the highest state excise tax and sixth highest for total state gasoline taxes and fees.

The 4-cent per gallon increase puts North Carolina seventh in the country for gas taxes when both federal and state taxes are factored in.

By contrast, the total state gas tax in South Carolina is 16.8 cents per gallon, making it the fourth lowest for total state gasoline taxes and fees. South Carolina also has the lowest overall gas tax with state and federal taxes resulting in 35.2 cents per gallon in taxation.

“We see prices fluctuate 4 or 5 cents every couple weeks,” said AAA Carolinas Vice President of Communications Tom Crosby. “The bad news is, we’re getting it right now, but the good news is, we’re getting it at a time when prices are decreasing.”

The N.C. Department of Revenue calculates and sets the state gas tax rates every six months, according to the N.C. Department of Transportation. The state uses a formula that adjusts a portion of the state’s gas tax to the wholesale price of gasoline. State law prevents the gas tax from dipping below 29.9 cents per gallon.

The increase means bad news for people already pinching pennies but could result in repairs to potholes and aging roads and bridges.

http://www.shelbystar.com/articles/s...2-tax-gas.html

How the other states stack up ...

Gasoline taxes

Which states are in the top 5 for highest and lowest state excise taxes, all state taxes and total state and federal gasoline taxes? Information is current as of Oct. 1.

STATE EXCISE TAX:

Highest
  • North Carolina: 38.9 cents (beginning Jan. 1, 2012; current tax rate is 35 cents)
  • Washington: 37.5 cents
  • California: 35.7 cents
  • Rhode Island: 32 cents
  • Wisconsin: 30.9 cents
Lowest
  • Florida: 4 cents
  • Georgia: 7.5 cents
  • Alaska: 8 cents
  • New York: 8.1 cents
  • New Jersey: 10.5 cents
ALL STATE TAXES:

Highest
  • Connecticut: 50.3 cents
  • California: 49.3 cents
  • New York: 49.1 cents
  • Hawaii: 48.2 cents
  • Illinois: 39.9 cents

Lowest
  • Alaska: 8 cents
  • Wyoming: 14 cents
  • New Jersey: 14.5 cents
  • South Carolina: 16.8 cents
  • Oklahoma: 17 cents
TOTAL TAXES PAID:

Highest
  • Connecticut: 68.7 cents
  • California: 67.7 cents
  • New York: 67.5 cents
  • Hawaii: 66.6 cents
  • Illinois: 58.3 cents
Lowest
  • Alaska: 26.4 cents
  • Wyoming: 32.4 cents
  • New Jersey: 32.9 cents
  • South Carolina: 35.2
  • Oklahoma: 35.4 cents

Source: American Petroleum Institute

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 05:53 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Wow, I'm surprised Taxachusetts didn't show up in any of the highest states taxed!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 06:29 PM
PostWhore

Well I see that we in NJ arent the only ones taking it up the rear with the new year...........

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Welcome to Illinois light. At least you might actually get the potholes fixed unlike us lol

-Matt
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Welcome to Illinois light. At least you might actually get the potholes fixed unlike us lol
lol

Well, that's what they say the money's going for; in all actuality the leaches in Raleigh will end up giving themselves raises and putting the money everywhere else besides back into the roads and bridges.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 07:10 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

The list of states made me glad I left IL. AZ not the worst not the best but it will cut you off in the HOV lane using the break down lane.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
lol

Well, that's what they say the money's going for; in all actuality the leaches in Raleigh will end up giving themselves raises and putting the money everywhere else besides back into the roads and bridges.
Sounds just like the corruption in NJ. They claim the money goes to fixing the roads. I know for a fact that I have seen some potholes for WELL over a year in the same spot on the parkway that never get fixed.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:54 PM
5th Gear Poster

Makes me so proud. Now I know were they got the money to pave the 301 service roads that didn't need paved. I'm pretty sure our Governors campaign managers have all been arrested and charged.

93 Mark VIII - Vortech S/C 8psi, Kooks headers, 3800 stall, DD valve body, 4:10 gears w/trac-loc, 2 1/2 true duals with a Magnaflow X-pipe resonator, Electric Water Pump, Meth Injection, 17 in Cobra R wheels. [email protected] Pictures http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/for...o=hall&u=16112 Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/1210291341?feature=mhee

Last edited by Don Pfau; 01-03-2012 at 02:57 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pfau View Post
Makes me so proud. Now I know were they got the money to pave the 301 service roads that didn't need paved. I pretty sure our Governors campaign managers have all been arrested and charged.
If they haven't yet they should be!

95 LX: "Midnight" Photo thread: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=137962 *SOLD*
78 Camaro Z28, 388 Stroker, 5spd Tremec, 4.10 Posi, Caltracs, "The Toy"
2000 Durango SLT 5.9L - Stock - Wifey's DD

R.I.P. Dad - 11/28/54 ~ 07/09/12 Ride Free.
R.I.P. Mom - 10/10/55 ~ 3/1/13 Be at peace.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Chizep
Glad I filled up on new years eve!

I hope the money does go to bridge repair. Pretty sure Cabarrus county has A LOT of bridges in rough shape.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pfau View Post
Makes me so proud. Now I know were they got the money to pave the 301 service roads that didn't need paved. I'm pretty sure our Governors campaign managers have all been arrested and charged.
Yea, there's a lot of that that goes on too ..

i.e. Paving roads that don't really need it just to use money that's been allocated and to keep work crews busy ...

The state actually did get around to paving the road that runs in front of our community right at the beginning of Dec. It was long overdue for a fresh pave so I can't complain about that one...

I think it's interesting to note that NC maintains more roads than any other state besides Texas!

NC maintains nearly 80,000 miles of roads! That's just amazing.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:20 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

And then there is Connecticut with the highest in all states and the highest taxes paid. I hate reading the sticker seeing what we pay in taxes for gas but they do a decent job on the roads here not like other neighboring states lol.

1995 LX 4.6 Stock for now.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
I'll swap you any day. Have a read of this. Oh yes, and our roads are crap too!

http://www.petrolprices.com/the-pric...uel.html#j-1-3

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy625UK View Post
I'll swap you any day. Have a read of this. Oh yes, and our roads are crap too!

http://www.petrolprices.com/the-pric...uel.html#j-1-3
Sorry Ingsoc doesnt have nicer roads its not a huge greenland sized island I wonder why they arent maintained more...

You lost me with that link its all petrol this and that, and what is a 'p' and liters???

I only know gasoline, dollars, and gallons anything is else is chinese LOL

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
Sorry Ingsoc doesnt have nicer roads its not a huge greenland sized island I wonder why they arent maintained more...

You lost me with that link its all petrol this and that, and what is a 'p' and liters???

I only know gasoline, dollars, and gallons anything is else is chinese LOL
Haha, sorry I forgot about the difference in "units". It converts over to approx £5.91/gal which is about $8.85/gal. ANd well over half of that is tax straight to the government.

Now what do you pay $3? $4? Like I said - I'll swap you

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Yep Andy a bit spoiled over on this side of the water , 93/ Octane here today under $ 4

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 04:36 PM
PostWhore

Yeah ok if I got it easier with 3 something a gallon for petrol.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
I guess its all relative. When I was on vacation in the US a few years ago from memory I think the petrol (sorry, gasoline) was only $2.30, so a 50% increase in a few years? Over here its gone up 50-60% in a couple of years, so not so different in those terms.

The Eagles

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
You think it's bad now, just wait until things erupt between the US and Iran ...

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 07:38 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy625UK View Post
I guess its all relative. When I was on vacation in the US a few years ago from memory I think the petrol (sorry, gasoline) was only $2.30, so a 50% increase in a few years? Over here its gone up 50-60% in a couple of years, so not so different in those terms.
God the last time it was under $2.50/gallon for a peorid of more than a day was some time in 2005. Over the summer of 2008 gas was $4.40+/gallon for regular. Then the govt tapped our reserve and got the prices to $1.30/gallon for like 2 days, then it went right back up to $3/gallon. Over the summer it was knocking back at $4/gallon. As TM said.......... just wait till the **** hits the fan with Iran....... you thought gas prices were bad when Libya had troubles....... $5/gallon summer here we come.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in