Help Mercury Sable - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Help Mercury Sable

Okay, so I know that this is a far cry from a Tbird, but I am having some issues with my dads Sable. I am getting no heat. The car does not over heat, there is an intermittent sound that I believe is the water pump, however the temp is always very cool. When I get on the highway the temp gauge will actually bottom out and I will get nothing but cold air blowing from the vents. Not sure what this is. I have replaced the thermostat, coolant overflow tank, radiator cap, and misc hoses, thinking that its sucking cold air in from somewhere. Could it be the water pump? The car has a 3.0 OHC it is a 2000. any help would be awesome, its starting to get cold her in Ks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Chief of Warranty Police

Send a message via AIM to LiquidCougar
Can you be a little more specific as to what this intermittent sound is? What does it sound like, when do you hear it? Can you be a little more sure about the location?

Also, are you leaking coolant anywhere?

The water pump would be the next logical thing to replace, though.

Oh.. your coolant temp sensor could be bad, also.

1990 XR7 3.8L SC - Still waiting for time and money to come together at the same time..
1991 Ford Ranger
2003 Ford Escape

It's an MN-12 thing... you wouldn't understand.

Cowboys still do ride horses. Only today it's not just one at a time.
It's 454, each one alive, penned in 8 cylinders. Eating asphalt. Kicking dust.
Screaming out loud, "Don't you dare stop for water."

Last edited by LiquidCougar; 11-20-2010 at 02:49 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I am almost convinved that it is either coming from the tensioner pulley or the waterpump it is coming from that area for sure. While accelrating, you can here a "rumble/rattling" coming from what would be around the heater core location of the car. the strangest part is that the temp gauge drops to 0 (completely bottoms out) once you get around 75-80. I wish I could be more descriptive, but this is the strangest problem I have ever seen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Chief of Warranty Police

Send a message via AIM to LiquidCougar
I'm confused. Is this rumble/rattle coming from the front of the engine, or from the air plenum under the dash?

1990 XR7 3.8L SC - Still waiting for time and money to come together at the same time..
1991 Ford Ranger
2003 Ford Escape

It's an MN-12 thing... you wouldn't understand.

Cowboys still do ride horses. Only today it's not just one at a time.
It's 454, each one alive, penned in 8 cylinders. Eating asphalt. Kicking dust.
Screaming out loud, "Don't you dare stop for water."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Are you sure the water level isnt too low? If the level gets low, water cant circulate through the heater core. I just did a heater core in an 01 the other day that was plugged with trash so bad, it would barely get hot. After replacement it was insanely hot. The low temp gauge reading can happen when the water level gets so low it no longer touches the temperature sending unit. You can be pretty sure you are circulating some type of air bubble if the gauge is bouncing up and down. The only noise water pumps make is a knocking or moaning sound from the failure of bearings. You may be hearing air gurgling in the heater core. Just an idea. Good luck and let us know what happens.

I dont remember if the SOHC has a special coolant fill procedure. I know the OHV 3.0 isnt anything special to fill up properly. If you put a tiny air bleed hole in your thermostat, it will help purge out air bubbles more quickly.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 04:38 PM
PostWhore

Are you losing any coolant or is the resovior full after 'bottoming out'?

Could be the waterpump going out and pissing the coolant out, not allowing it to get to the heater core, and not allowing it to register on the temp gauge.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Your intermittent sound is the gurgling from the heater core bypass. Essentially, its easier for the liquid to go around it rather than through it.

Follow these instructions: Clinton Heater Core Flush

It work, it really works.

IF for some reason it doesn't, go register at taurusowners.com and post up that you followed the clinton method.

FYI if that is the Vulcan 3.0 engine, the impellers tend to disappear after 100k miles or so when no one has ever flushed the coolant out of the car (the water becomes acidic and dissolves them).

2011 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7L HEMI

2001 Volkswagen Beetle GLX 1.8T
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks, I will try that, sorry I have been unfortunately stuck in the hospital! So a little advice to everyone, never put peroxide in a persons drink, one of my employees did that trying to play a prank on me and I ended u[p in the hospital for a week, and he ended up unemployed. But again thanks for that advice will flush it tonight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in