Help: Stalling with low acceleration - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Help: Stalling with low acceleration

91 XR-7: The 5.0L runs great most of the time except on cold and/or damp mornings. I'll put her into gear after letting it warm for 5 minutes, drive down the road and it will want to cut out on me at low acceleration (especially from a stop). If I'm half throttle it normally won't do it, but slight presses to the pedal and it wants to die (i.e. RPM drops to 4-500 or quits entirely). Car is stock. All plugs/wires/cap have been changed, fuel pressure is good at the rail. I thought it might be electrical but volt gauge doesn't move. No engine light before stalling and no codes after.
I stress the low acceleration, and even if the RPM's do go up, upon letting off the throttle they'll dive back down to the 4-500 range again. When it does stall, it usually takes about 5 minutes sitting at the side of the road before it will start again.
Any thoughts that anyone has would be great since I have no idea where to go...I have fuel pressure, air and spark, everything that makes an engine go.
Oh yeah, after about 10 minutes worth of actual driving, than I trust it not to stall. Until than I'm usually either mashing on the gas to get up and go or dropping it in and out of gear which I HATE doing.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
does it have a maf?.....how old are the O2 sensors?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

o2 sensors replaced last year, Never thought about the MAF, figured that would bring in codes if it was on the way out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:23 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I have the same kind of thing going on. I checked the plug wires with a multimeter, and they read fine. I changed the plugs, I cleaned the maf. The car runs great when it is cold, but as it warms up when I go at a constant speed then I hit the gas my rpms drop and I accelerate slowly. I am wondering what this could be. No codes or anything.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:53 PM
It is nice

did u replace the rotor also in the cap

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, been a hectic week.
Yep, Rotor was replaced with the cap. After switching up my search terms I managed to find a repeating problem with the IAC and TPS. I've got the wreckers hunting for one of each so that I'm not buying new. Pulled the MAF, it was clean but sprayed it with contact cleaner anyways to clean it up a touch more. Starting to notice that a lot of the connectors are starting to corrode though, and found one of the wires off the TPS shorted through (fixed that but didn't fix the problem). Might be time for a new wiring harness soon
Thanks for the help. I've got to get on this site more often and try and get my posts up.
Cheers all
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
why do you think you need more posts? I'd say you need to get on this site more and read about the different things that cause stalling issues.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
why do you think you need more posts? I'd say you need to get on this site more and read about the different things that cause stalling issues.
Hey I like that thought. LOL. Start with the basics, and keep the repeated threads down.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:20 PM
PostWhore

I'm not trying to bust your balls but don't worry about your post count. Having a higher count is not going to make anyone give you better advice.

-Randy-
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8ThunderCat View Post
I'm not trying to bust your balls but don't worry about your post count. Having a higher count is not going to make anyone give you better advice.
Heck, look at my post count, and you should read some of the advice I get around here!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 PM

I would suspect TPS. When you press the throttle, EEC commands a little extra squirt of gas, sort of like an accelerator pump on a carb. If TPS isn't reporting right it can make the car bog.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanU View Post
I would suspect TPS. When you press the throttle, EEC commands a little extra squirt of gas, sort of like an accelerator pump on a carb. If TPS isn't reporting right it can make the car bog.
on the newer pcms, transient fueling is based on engine load and RPMs for the most part, and not at all on TPS .....on the older one's I'm not sure of, but if it is mass air-equipped I would bet it is the same

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in