strange new problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

strange new problem

Recently, basically in the past week or so, my car has developed a new issue. In the morning, after it has been sitting all night, I will start it up. It will start up and idle just fine...weather I let it warm up for a while or just go, it makes no differance. Also, overnight temps do not seem to make too much of a differance.

I will put it in drive, and start to go, and it's like the engine has a slight misfire. sounds and feels rough.

Driving around, the car will "buck" and "jerk" and "shake" and vibrate a bit. It does this weather I am on or off the gas. Also, deceleration is more rapid than it should be, with the associated "jerking"

No codes, no CEL, nothing, guages are all normal.

If I then take the car out mid day, it runs great, evenings, runs fine too. Very strange. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:00 AM
4th Gear Poster

Fuel problem? Check the pressure. It could be a pump or a filter. I'll bet it's something simple.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 01:58 PM
PostWhore

I wish I knew what is affected by outside temps because it seems like everyone has more similar issues when it gets cold outside. Besides the IAT I'm not sure what it could be. I wish I knew why my car is hard to start and keep running for the first few seconds on cold mornings. Occasionally it dies at the first stop light too but I haven't driven it much this year yet. Than again I wonder if o2 sensors would cause these symptoms too?

-Randy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsps View Post
Fuel problem? Check the pressure. It could be a pump or a filter. I'll bet it's something simple.
I will check the fuel pressure....pump and filter are brand new OEM ford pieces that are roughly two months old...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 02:14 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
I will check the fuel pressure....pump and filter are brand new OEM ford pieces that are roughly two months old...
Then likely something else is going on. I don't imagine new stuff will go bad due to the cold.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsps View Post
Then likely something else is going on. I don't imagine new stuff will go bad due to the cold.
Yeah - I wonder if it will throw a code at some point
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Sounds similar to an issue I was having up until late last year; overnight if it rained I would get a nasty misfire until the engine was at operating temps for about 15 minutes. Not sure exactly what cured it, but it went away after I did my intake swap. There also ended up being some nasty shorts in the harness to the pass. O2 sensor. The code I would get when it was doing the misfire routine was P1132.

Here are the threads I started related to the issue:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=119202
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=127963

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Sounds similar to an issue I was having up until late last year; overnight if it rained I would get a nasty misfire until the engine was at operating temps for about 15 minutes. Not sure exactly what cured it, but it went away after I did my intake swap. There also ended up being some nasty shorts in the harness to the pass. O2 sensor. The code I would get when it was doing the misfire routine was P1132.

Here are the threads I started related to the issue:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=119202
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=127963
Did fixing that bundle of shorted wires coming off the o2 sensor fix the problem?

My car has a set of used o2 sensors on it, which work fine, however, there was a slight crack in one of the wires on the insulation...I'm gonna leave it alone and see what happens, need be, I'll just order a set of new sensors from work at some point, if i have to...if those are even the problem. I should probably do a new set of plug wires, too.

Plugs all look fine, BTW.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
There were actually three separate spots along the wires to the sensor that looked like that, I replaced the entire section of wires from where it branched off at the DPFE sensor to the O2 itself.

The missing/bucking problem might have been water getting on those wires. Once the engine compartment heated up enough the moisture would evaporate and things would clear up. How those specifically could have caused the missing is beyond me, unless the short totally screwed up the O2 return voltage to the point where the PCM was compensating in such a way that the engine was responding poorly. The codes probably showed up only after my cam swap because I disturbed the wires enough to cause two of them to come in contact with one another creating a hard short.

Not saying that this is necessarily your issue, but it's something to keep in mind. My symptoms baffled me for two years, including one instance where the engine quit on me half a mile from my driveway, before I finally figured out the problem.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in