frustrated about power steering pulley - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

frustrated about power steering pulley

alright so im done with the entire PI and Cam swap and i just wanna test drive the bird. the only thing thats stopping me is the power steering pump pulley. how can i get the shaft of the pump to stop spinning while im putting the pulley on with a screw in the shaft. i cant get the pulley on the shaft far enough to keep the shaft from spinning inside the pulley as i tighten it on. thanks for the help.
iv already tried pounding the pulley on tight enough to screw it on but the shaft ends up breaking loose and spinning.

MAC CAI/02 STANG MAF/SCT CHIP TUNED BY LONNIE
EIBACH 1.5 LOWERING SPRINGS- BILSTEIN GAS SHOCKS
90 SUPERCOUPE SIDE SKIRTS/REAR
18x9-FRONT: 245 REAR: 275
PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok
new tune for swapped parts (93 oct)

no longer the owner.... but its still my child its just released into the world....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalba View Post
alright so im done with the entire PI and Cam swap and i just wanna test drive the bird. the only thing thats stopping me is the power steering pump pulley. how can i get the shaft of the pump to stop spinning while im putting the pulley on with a screw in the shaft. i cant get the pulley on the shaft far enough to keep the shaft from spinning inside the pulley as i tighten it on. thanks for the help.
iv already tried pounding the pulley on tight enough to screw it on but the shaft ends up breaking loose and spinning.
I just did this, and the screw I used was one of the bottom ones that hold the alternator on (I'm saying that to make sure you have the correct size and thread bolt).

Also, I just held the pulley with my hand while I cranked the bolt in with a ratchet/socket. Once the bolt bottoms out (it wants to turn the shaft), take the bolt out, add some washers, then do it again. Repeat this procedure until the pulley is even with the end of the shaft.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

ahh adding washers ok ok I'll try it and hopefully it works

PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok

no longer the owner.... but its still my child its just released into the world....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:39 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:

You need the correct Puller/Installer. You'll never get it without it. Should be able to borrow it from AutoZone/Advanced, etc.

Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

but the installer just uses a bolt in the center right? I don't see how it would help with keeping the shaft from spinning while pushing the pulley on while tightening. it spins when the bolt starting to tighten on the pulley.

PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 04:42 AM
PostWhore

on my 3.8, I used small vice grips on the tip of the pulley. NOT the piece where the belt goes, but the little piece that hangs off the front. I'm not sure if this was the best method, but it gets really old, really fast.

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradone View Post
You need the correct Puller/Installer. You'll never get it without it. Should be able to borrow it from AutoZone/Advanced, etc.

Brad
Quote:
but the installer just uses a bolt in the center right? I don't see how it would help with keeping the shaft from spinning while pushing the pulley on while tightening. it spins when the bolt starting to tighten on the pulley.
What did y'all not see my post above? Yes, the "installer" is just a bolt; it's removing the stupid pulley that you HAVE to have use a remover. I have put on dozens of these pulleys, and you just use a bolt! Use the one holding the alternator on - it's the perfect size. You have to shim it because the threads in the center of the shaft only go down about an inch. That's why I and you yourself said USE WASHERS.

Just hold the pulley with your hand. I really don't see why you're having such a hard time with it.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I haven't gotten a chance to try using washers but I'm going to. I know what you mean and I am using the alt bolt like you said in the other thread along with when I mentioned the crank pulley. headed out to work on it now and hopefully start her up!

EDIT... using some washers did the trick. thanks again.

PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok

Last edited by danalba; 12-19-2010 at 11:30 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
I own one of these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W87021

Because I've had the occasion to deal with two extremely stubborn power steering pumps / pulleys. I don't know if the shafts were slightly bent or damaged or what, but I went so far as to destroy several bolt/washer combos, but even using an impact gun and a lot of lube wouldn't work. The installer tool is hardened, for one thing, and has a nice bearing on it to cut down on resistance against the pulley hub.

It's designed to bottom out in the pump snout (note that nice bevel) and then using a two-wrench technique, you can snug the pulley right on. Of the countless (okay, I could probably count them) power steering pulleys that I've had off/on various cars, only two needed the tool, but when the bolt/washers aren't working, it's nice to have around.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Keady View Post
I own one of these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W87021

Because I've had the occasion to deal with two extremely stubborn power steering pumps / pulleys. I don't know if the shafts were slightly bent or damaged or what, but I went so far as to destroy several bolt/washer combos, but even using an impact gun and a lot of lube wouldn't work. The installer tool is hardened, for one thing, and has a nice bearing on it to cut down on resistance against the pulley hub.

It's designed to bottom out in the pump snout (note that nice bevel) and then using a two-wrench technique, you can snug the pulley right on. Of the countless (okay, I could probably count them) power steering pulleys that I've had off/on various cars, only two needed the tool, but when the bolt/washers aren't working, it's nice to have around.
Thank you. Got such a smart a**ed response when I suggested it I just left it alone.

Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 01:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradone View Post
Thank you. Got such a smart a**ed response when I suggested it I just left it alone.

Brad
I wasn't trying to call you out or be a smart butt. That tool you pointed out is awesome; it's kind of a small version of the crank pulley installer. I like it a lot and I'm defintately gonna get one! I was just saying that putting that pulley on "usually" isn't such a big deal. Of course, I didn't take into consideration how badly things corrode, rust, bend, and whatever happens, but all these things and more DO happen, so I understand.

You gave a great response and i thank you because I learned something. Please don't ever get the impression that I am beyond learning because I make mistakes every single day and I am sure I will continue that path until the day I die; it's called life. Thank you for humbling me, Brad! :highfive:

~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in