Q: Power Steering Fluid Flush - How many quarts? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Q: Power Steering Fluid Flush - How many quarts?

Hi:
I'm installing a PS fluid cooler in my 1995 Ford Thunderbird LX that I'm preparing for the 24 hours of Lemons.

From my research here, I understand that Type-F ATF or "Ford PS Fluid" is the recommended fluid for this specific year of Thunderbird.

The gameplan is also to replace the PS fluid with Redline Synthetic Fluid since it offers a higher boiling point temp, less evaporation at high temps, and is fully compatible with Type-F fluid; even if I develop a seep as the synthetic fluid gets past the seals, it should be a drops vs. a complete drainout. That's the belief, anyway.
http://paceperformance.com/i-5154476...uid-quart.html

Q: Without the PS cooler, how much PS fluid is required for a standard Power steering fluid flush?

Q: How much extra fluid do you think would be needed to fill the lines + a standard PS cooler?

This is the one I'm planning to install:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...%7CGRP2070____

Thanks in advance for your replies.
-g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
There is [what I believe is] a very small stock cooler on the 94/95s on the lower passenger side of the radiator, whereas on the 97s a cooler not unlike the one you have linked to is stock in front of the condenser. I've been able to do reasonably convincing flushes in the past using roughly 2 quarts; a full fill up is maybe a quart (again, this is with the stock cooler on my 97, pretty much the same as your linked part).

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
From the Technical Articles - Miscellaneous Section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Articles - Power Steering Flush

The first quart or so I drained looked like Chocolate syrup coming out of the power steering pump....NASTY!!!! It took about 3 quarts of El-Cheapo power steering fluid then 1 quart of Valvoline synthetic and Walla, no more whining and moaning when I turn the wheel. Judging from the color and condition of the old fluid, I'd say if you have high miles and its never been changed. You cant go wrong by doing This. Its cheap, and very easy. It was a little time consuming, but worth it in the long run.

If you are by yourself as I was, you can disconnect the rubber hose that is clamped onto the metal line right below your oil filter and drain from there. Then just push the hose back on without the clamp and fill the pump, start the car and turn the wheel a few times and turn off and drain from that hose again. Repeat that until your fluid comes out as clear as you'd like it to be. Also, you don't necessarily have to put the cap back on the PS-pump every time, that can be a hassle, It will not spray out. DON'T start the car without fluid in the pump though. Also keep in mind that if you start the car with that line of, it will "SPRAY" PS fluid out very quickly and messy. The front of the car should actually be raised because you have to get to the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
Hi:
I'm installing a PS fluid cooler in my 1995 Ford Thunderbird LX that I'm preparing for the 24 hours of Lemons.

From my research here, I understand that Type-F ATF or "Ford PS Fluid" is the recommended fluid for this specific year of Thunderbird.

The gameplan is also to replace the PS fluid with Redline Synthetic Fluid since it offers a higher boiling point temp, less evaporation at high temps, and is fully compatible with Type-F fluid; even if I develop a seep as the synthetic fluid gets past the seals, it should be a drops vs. a complete drainout. That's the belief, anyway.
http://paceperformance.com/i-5154476...uid-quart.html

Q: Without the PS cooler, how much PS fluid is required for a standard Power steering fluid flush?

A: As stated above; 2 to 3 quarts to flush and 1 Quart (May be a little less) of premium PS fluid.

Q: How much extra fluid do you think would be needed to fill the lines + a standard PS cooler?

A: 1 quart (May be a little more)

This is the one I'm planning to install:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...%7CGRP2070____

Thanks in advance for your replies.
-g

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-01-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Thanks guys, I originally looked in the tech arcticles but I must have missed the MISC section.
-g
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
You're welcome. Good luck with your upgrade and the race.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 11:12 PM
PostWhore

Interesting, I think the cause of my moaning and groaning may actually be the PS fluid and not the lower ball joint. The sound goes away once the car warms up and I've been having a slight problem with the fluid these last couple of years. The thing about that though is that when my engine was replaced the shop had replaced a high pressure hose that ended up being defective and had leaked all of my fluid onto the street. They replaced the hose again after I had gone through 2 or 3 bottles.

So, now I'm not 100% sure if I need to flush the fluid. How often should it be flushed? I think I topped it off a couple of times with cheap PS fluid so does that mean I should just go ahead and flush it?

I'll probably do it anyway on Monday but any opinions would be helpful.

-Randy-
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 11:17 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Has it ever been done?

I flushed mine at about 100K.

Yea, the moan you hear could very well be the PS pump.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 10:46 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Has it ever been done?
I guess not. I was hoping that the huge leak would have almost been as good as a flush. I have no idea if the shop would have taken the time to actually flush it when they replaced the high pressure hose. Hopefully I'll leave the house soon and get some PS fluid.

-Randy-
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 03:58 PM
PostWhore

Well, the steering is much improved but the sound still exits. The fluid was like chocolate syrup when I began. I used about 6 quarts to flush it and now there's no more foam. I bought Valvoline but it didn't say whether or not if it was synthetic. I think it took me about 2 hours and about a dozen refills to finally get it to come out clear. The fluid in the pan still looked black at the end so I took a picture of it.

-Randy-
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 05:07 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8ThunderCat View Post
Well, the steering is much improved but the sound still exits. The fluid was like chocolate syrup when I began. I used about 6 quarts to flush it and now there's no more foam. I bought Valvoline but it didn't say whether or not if it was synthetic. I think it took me about 2 hours and about a dozen refills to finally get it to come out clear. The fluid in the pan still looked black at the end so I took a picture of it.
Wow. Well, at least you've got that done. It sounds like you did a real good job getting it cleaned out. I bet that did make a huge difference in the steering.

Yea the Valvoline fluid I have came in a tan 1 qt container labled "Vavoline SYN POWER". I just checked their website and apparently its been discontinued. I'm not sure when this happend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvoline
4. Has SynPower Power Steering Fluid been discontinued? If so, what is your recommended replacement?

SynPower Power Steering Fluid has been discontinued. We recommend Valvoline Performance Chemicals Power Steering Fluid as a replacement. Please note that this product is not synthetic.

http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/system...wer-chemicals/

Without seeing your car I can't venture a guess as to what the sound you're hearing is.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-02-2011 at 06:13 PM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:20 PM
PostWhore

Now that the steering is much more quiet I can tell that the only time the sound happens is when the front end rises. For instance whenever I accelerate from a stop or get out of the car. Here soon I'll have replaced everything besides the shocks and springs so if the noise is still around then I think I can bet what it is.

The biggest improvement in the steering is that now I no longer have a pull to the right whenever I brake.

-Randy-
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 PM

whats wrong with good 'ole power steering fluid, i think im using prestone +stop leak right now when i flushed it last. i've never used anything but actual power steering fluid before and never really had a problem.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 PM

There's nothing wrong with power steering fluid, but that's not what came from the factory. Mercon V will last longer and keep the components lasting longer.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
There's nothing wrong with power steering fluid, but that's not what came from the factory. Mercon V will last longer and keep the components lasting longer.
Ya know, I had asked about that a long time ago but I never got an answer on whether if that's true for only '96+. Otherwise I would have used Mercon V. Oh, well.

-Randy-
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8ThunderCat View Post
Ya know, I had asked about that a long time ago but I never got an answer on whether if that's true for only '96+. Otherwise I would have used Mercon V. Oh, well.
....and I guess this will still go unanswered.

-Randy-
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 PM

Well now you'll get an answer. It started in 96 from the factory, but no matter the year it is best to flush and refill with Mercon V.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 04:14 PM
4th Gear Poster

PS fluid, Type F or Merc V for 95?

I'm getting ready to flush my power steering system and have read through a ton of posts but find conflicting opinions. My question is, what fluid to use after the flush in a 95? I was leaning towards Merc V but several people say it will make my system leak and some say it won't. It has 88,000 miles and no leaks. So i figure I'll ask the question in a new thread, which fluid for a 95??

Thanks,
Mike
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 05:40 PM
PostWhore

I have merc V in my 96 and it doesnt leak....... FWIW

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Mercon V will be fine.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 08:06 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
Well now you'll get an answer. It started in 96 from the factory, but no matter the year it is best to flush and refill with Mercon V.
Thank you, sir.

-Randy-
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Mercon V will be fine.
Are we talking Mercon V transmission fluid? Or is there a different mercon V power steering fluid?

---Jeremy
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I used Redline PS fluid for my flush & fill.
No issues during our first Lemons race.
After our first race, i noticed a small leak at one of the hoses that goes into the PS pump (the hose on the side, not the rear of the pump housing).
This was a cheap and straightforward (but annoying to get the teflon o-ring around the fitting) fix.
No problems since.

I can't say it's the redline fluid's fault that the leak developed -- we did beat the crap out of this car during the race.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in