Q: Radiator Fan override for track use... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Q: Radiator Fan override for track use...

One item that has been mentioned to me on the Lemons forum is to wire in a Radiator/A-C fan override for use when you are under a yellow flag on the track or when you are parked.

Since we only have one fan, a simple review of the shop manual says I can just bring in a 12V hot wire to the High Speed contact point of the electrical fan wire.

Q: Where physically should I make this splice? At the fan connector on the side of the fan shroud or somewhere upstream?

Q: To prevent current from flowing back into the fan control circuitry (current will flow wherever the resistance is less from a higher voltage potential to a lower), should I also put in a diode on the line I cut before the point where I splice in the 12V line?

Q: Finally, if I want to disable the fan entirely for high speed running (no matter what the fan control wants), I just need to open the circuit on the ground side of the fan control, right?

I'm a little inexperienced with this kind of wiring question but I'm approaching it from an EE's perspective (vs a mechanics). My proposals make sense electrically but I just want to make sure they make sense physically on the Tbird.

Thanks in advance,
-g

Last edited by S4gunn; 01-13-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in