assembling stainless steel braided lines with fittings - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

assembling stainless steel braided lines with fittings

I read a few how to on putting the fittings on the ends of stainless braided lines with the anodized fittings. Does anyone have any tips they can offer about how tight to tighten the blue onto the red part of the fitting. I'm using Russel fittings. I cut my line with a dremel tool really slowly and carefully to not have any steel burrs. I can get it to snugly fit inside the red end fitting and used tape where I cut so the tape helps stop fraying. How far do you put the hose into the red fitting before you thread on the other half of the fitting? Does anyone recommend teflon tape or anything thing else? Or is this just something you put in a vice and torque down as much as you can? A little bit of direction would help me out as these are for my oil filter remote kit so these are really important.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:12 PM
The Parts Guy

Next time I assemble a hose I'll try to remember to take pics and write up a little article.

But for now:
The hose needs to seat all the way into the "red" part of the fitting (the socket). Wrap a piece of masking tape around the hose at the base of the socket. You'll use this as a reference point to be certain that you don't push the hose out of the socket as you screw in the "blue" part of the fitting (the hose end). Put a little motor oil on the threads and nipple of the hose end and screw it into the socket.

As far as how tight they need to be, they should be more than "snug", but we're working with aluminum here. Don't bear down on it too hard.

This is one of those things that tends to be a royal pain the first time you try it, but gets much easier after you've assembled a few hoses.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in