Radiator upgrades - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Radiator upgrades

I know I have seen the cobra radiator used on here with some minor fitment issues but I was trying to find an upgraded radiator that is better than stock but not exactly the best out there. Has anyone seen these radiators?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mishim...diator-04.html

I'm not sure of other alternatives but badbird has a universal radiator in his carbed bird with cheap over flow tank. I'd like to use my stock overflow tank though. I'm sure others have used griffins with success too but I dont want to spend 400+ on a radiator.

So is there a lower buck upgrade out there people have tried?

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 04:14 PM
The Parts Guy

Everything I've read about the Mishimoto's points to a real lack of quality. I know at least a few guys over at moddedmustangs.com have had them start leaking within a year or two of installing them. That being said, I don't have any direct experience with them...I'm running a '03 Cobra rad/fan.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Good Radiator Upgrade

I put a used 2003 Mustang Cobra solid aluminum radiator on mine. I only had to flip over the top mounts and cut a small corner from the plastic battery tray. Oh, and since the Cobra is a manual transmission, I had to add an external tranny cooler. It looks very stock and good mounted in the car.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

But no aftermarket cobra radiators are up to the quality of the FoMoCo cobra radiator? Anyone have a good place for a good price on that fomoco radiator. I read they went up in price dramatically. I really dont know how long my radiator has I have been saying it needs a replacement a long time ago but I have been slacking.

I've also read a lot about how people have bought radiators that leaked a year or 2 after they bought them so I'd like to avoid anything like that. This is a DD so quality is important I just don't need to blow money on it. It gets hot as hell here in the summer so this is definitely serving an important function in improving DD duties.

post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
But no aftermarket cobra radiators are up to the quality of the FoMoCo cobra radiator? Anyone have a good place for a good price on that fomoco radiator. I read they went up in price dramatically. I really dont know how long my radiator has I have been saying it needs a replacement a long time ago but I have been slacking.

I've also read a lot about how people have bought radiators that leaked a year or 2 after they bought them so I'd like to avoid anything like that. This is a DD so quality is important I just don't need to blow money on it. It gets hot as hell here in the summer so this is definitely serving an important function in improving DD duties.
I bought mine about a year and a half ago for about $100. There are several here on the site that have aftermarket aluminum radiators that have served them well (of course, they cost much more). I'm sure they will chime in at some point!

The whole reason I did my swap was because my Bird is a DD and kept overheating here in the hot Florida summers. The only cure was to put that radiator in. It hasn't overheated since.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I got my Cobra rad off craigslist a few years ago for $50. Cobra's don't usually have miles on them so deals are out there for take offs and it's a huge improvement over stock in both cooling and reliability.

-Matt
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Is this a legit cobra radiator? I bet I could talk the price down.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/2164038913.html

post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Nope, that's a regular GT one. Cobra's don't have plastic tanks or integrated tranny coolers

-Matt
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I've been eyeballing the autotrans version and the manual trans version of the mishimoto piece for awhile now. I've heard good and bad things about them, seems like many have typical ground issue erosion problems, something I'm not as concerned about.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
I've been eyeballing the autotrans version and the manual trans version of the mishimoto piece for awhile now. I've heard good and bad things about them, seems like many have typical ground issue erosion problems, something I'm not as concerned about.
Assuming you use a sacrificial anode type of drain plug these wouldn't leak would they? Add a 0 gauge wire grounding kit and shouldn't that stop any electrolysis and leaks? Or are they just made crappy were its beyond just poor grounds and erosion.

post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:07 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

All I've heard is electrolysis issues. Proper grounding should alleviate that issue. It would also help to have a sacrificial anode or an aluminum block. I'm sure using proper coolant, distilled water, proper ratio, proper pressures, and proper coolant maintenance would also help significantly.

227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
All I've heard is electrolysis issues. Proper grounding should alleviate that issue. It would also help to have a sacrificial anode or an aluminum block. I'm sure using proper coolant, distilled water, proper ratio, proper pressures, and proper coolant maintenance would also help significantly.
I sure hope so as I think I am getting this rad cause mine is leaking and its days are numbered. I plan to ground it with 0 gauge wire and I just need to find a way to add a sacrificial anode. There is not a cap or plug with this set up. I don't want to change the radiator. I have an iron block but I have no history of any electrolysis under the hood. Never any heater cores gone bad still have the original in and it works fine.

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

There are tubes that go into either upper or lower hoses with bungs for temp sensors use one of those with an anode instead of a sensor, just an option. Example http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-32082/

Last edited by Chris_Murder; 02-06-2011 at 08:26 PM.
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Good idea on that. If you put it on the upper you can check it anytime its cold with out it being a mess. But thats a little on the spendy side for such a small part thats technically optional. Its going to get a proper ground already btw. I need to find something for less than that price but this idea does work. I would have to just cut in upper in half or somewhere in the middle and clamp this on. It sounds pretty simple too.

post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...light=Radiator

IIRC Rob used the auto trans version of this radiator also. He also mentioned the drain petcock got in the way and he installed a 1/4" npt plug (which is the size of the summit anode kit)

post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I'm using the manual version since I am going to remain by passing the radiator. I have the true cool max long cooler that barely fits in the front. I think I am using an anode drain plug so that will work for me. Since I'm not worried about it going bad anytime soon. I just need one to fit the plug 1/4" npt I think is the size I'd have to plug up.

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
I'm using the manual version since I am going to remain by passing the radiator. I have the true cool max long cooler that barely fits in the front. I think I am using an anode drain plug so that will work for me. Since I'm not worried about it. I just need one to fit the plug 1/4" npt I think is the size I'd have to plug up.
So....this....http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-32060/

post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
I found it cheaper here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1555&viewitem=

post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Good find, and at a half of the price. Also as far as leaks did you read their no hastle warrenty? Talk about above and beyond service. I'll buy from them just for that.

Last edited by Chris_Murder; 02-07-2011 at 05:15 AM.
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Good find, and at a quarter of the price. Also as far as leaks did you read their no hastle warrenty? Talk about above and beyond service. I'll buy from them just for that.
I didn't quite get all the details from robs thread. Does it look like you can jsut reuse your old radiator bushings or would you have to buy new? Seems interchangeable.

post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 05:18 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Looks like he turned the top 90 degrees and used L-brackets

post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

OK I have began putting this radiator in the car so far I cleared everything and mocked it up. The only trouble is the upper brackets. Even using Robs method will not work if you have a batt still in the engine bay, the side ways brackets hit my battery. I have fabbed up some super ghetto brackets that will do the job til I can find a better replacement. I had to cut a chunk out of the core support to clear the drain plug.

Mercifully the bottom pegs drop right in the rubber bumpers but thats where the mercy ends. I trimmed the upper hose, the batt tray, and rigged up some brackets to hold the stock fan on. I see no reason to buy a stang fan until my current oem style blows up. I am doing the opil filter adapter gasket tomorrow and should be ready to drop the rad in for the last time. I need to trim the K member as it touched the lower hose just slightly. Man this tbird stuff really gets to you when nothing bolts on and you spend half a day clearing everything to fit. I even had some clean up to do from a batt acid spill. I'm glad I dont have to look at the nasty rust now. I have pics but I'll post them later.

Last edited by Splattered; 02-17-2011 at 10:54 PM.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
i've had good luck with my griffin radiator with trans cooler.

David
post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien View Post
i've had good luck with my griffin radiator with trans cooler.

David
Thats pricey really pricey this one was a lot less. I know to some people its worth it but I can't afford that kind of money for a radiator.

post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Did you get the mishimoto to clear? I also checked on the draincock threads on the one I installed and it was 1/4" NPT. The radiator I got was a hella tight fit, but I have no idea what "brand" it was. If the mishimoto fits better, that might be the way to go. Let us know. I am thinking about upgrading the black Sport before summer gets here. I may even just go with the 03+ cobra rad since my car already has an external cooler. I do like the idea of an integral transmission heat exchanger though...

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Did you get the mishimoto to clear? I also checked on the draincock threads on the one I installed and it was 1/4" NPT. The radiator I got was a hella tight fit, but I have no idea what "brand" it was. If the mishimoto fits better, that might be the way to go. Let us know. I am thinking about upgrading the black Sport before summer gets here. I may even just go with the 03+ cobra rad since my car already has an external cooler. I do like the idea of an integral transmission heat exchanger though...
I did get it to fit and I started it and ran it for about 15 minutes checking for leaks from the oil filter adapter job I did. It was all good I ran it until it was hot and the fan came on a couple times so it was fully pressurized. I trimmed the upper hose a bit but could have done it more as it just barely touches the coil pack bracket when fully pressurized. Rather than tear it down I just wrapped it in old upper hose with a zip tie. The Ac Lines were bent out of the way and I had to remove their little support brackets and left them off. Don't know if that a problem but the clearance on it was still barely enough so I slipped some old upper hose between the lines and the rad so it wont rub at all. I also barely cleared the battery I mean just barely. I figured it was so stupid close that I slipper more old upper hose between the rad and the battery so they don't touch. I think the real problem is the battery being so big. The other clearance problems can be fixed later. If I went with an optima there would be no troubles, or a smaller battery. I rigged up some brackets to hold the fan and they work its just that flat bar with holes and some extra nuts and bolts to hold it together. The lower hose for me doesn't touch but I didn't check with fully pressurized if it did indeed touch the lip of the K. I think its close but ok. I was saying the whole time how damn tight of a fit this is. I had to stretch the lower hose on btw out of the car. What a total pain but I guess since many otehrs have done it, its safe to do. I bought a screw clamp and tighted that bizotch down hard LOL. It dark out here so no more pics until a sunny day.

Yeah you can get the automatic version but I chose the manual style I need to devote as much cooling to the engine as possible out here. Its no joke how quick you go from cold to hot to borderline overheating. But I saw that my old rad was covered in dirt and crap that caked about 1/4 of the radiator so this should take care of the problem so long as my fan doesn't meltdown again.

Whats a decently priced upgrade to the mn12 fan found in the mustang world that out flows an oem fan. I can go clip a harness from the junkyard from a 97 gt btw so I can plug and play.

This had to be done with the new rad for sure. I'm glad its done because it looks like it began to fail a lone time ago. This thing got fully cleaned up and cleaned out with lots of brake and parts cleaner and a wire wheel. I wish I had taken an after pic but its not really a big deal

I can post more pics later on when the nice weather comes out.

post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Man that thing looks beautiful in there Now that you mention it, I think I put a piece of hose over my lower radiator hose because it was very very close to the K member.

I got a cheap new GT (same as cobra) fan for like $75 shipped on ebay. I think the new Motorcraft pigtail cost me like $40. If I could've found a fan or pigtail at pick n pull, I would have gone that route. Keep up the awesome work

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

is your gt/cobra fan rated for more cfm rob? 75 shipped is a reasonable price Id jump on that come summertime. I should check to see if my lower hose actually hits when fully pressurized I remember it was close when it was cold. I can always wrap it tomorrow if its not raining. It was definitely a tight fit as you know. But for the price I'd rather go through this than pay for a griffin 2 row. You don't need to cut a hole for the drain plug its more like using an angle grinder you slice down vertically on the core support right past the frame rail and stop right before the bottom and finish the horizontal cut. I filed all the edges down so nothing is sharp too.

post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
As long as we're on the subject, I've been wondering something. (sorry if its a newbie question...)

The late model Mach I's used a 32 valve engine similar to the cobras if I recall (well ok, probably more similar to the Marauder but..). Anyway, what kind of radiator was used in the automatic versions of the Mach I? If it was more like the Cobra, and less like the GT, wouldn't it work better than the Tbird or GT radiator?

Newbie Question 2.. If I went ahead with a Cobra radiator, how big would the tranny cooler have to be to get the job done with no help from the radiator?

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 10:34 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
My coolers are Tru-Cool 8&1/2x22".

I bought two from Alan; fairly cheap for the size, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in