No Start after fuel pump change, 96' 3.8 bird - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

No Start after fuel pump change, 96' 3.8 bird

I had a on and off bucking/loss of power condition and suspected the fuel pump since It had unfortunately been running on empty a lot. It was the last part I wanted to change tried a new FPR, Fuel filter, Cleaning MAF, etc. I noticed the improvements but the problem remained.

Eventually the car died in a gas station parking lot. I replaced the fuel pump/strainer today, put everything back together, and no start, no pressure at the rail. I suspected the fuel supply/fuel return lines had been reversed, disconnected the new fuel filter and no gas came from the line when priming. The still connected fuel filter was leaking gas however.

I wrote down the pins but took them out, stupid mistake. So I tried priming a bunch of times up the fuel return lines apparently...

I need to go back day after tomorrow when it's not snowing and drop the tank again but with 7 gallons of fuel this time. I think I can do it with jacks as long as I don't move the tank too much.

The car has 64k low miles in good condition otherwise until recently. There is gas in the oil, which is why I replaced the FPR without success.

That's the story, I had A couple questions,

Should I expect damage to the FPR from reversing the connections on the sender unit and priming?

Also, my FPR came with an oval shaped rubber fitting that wasn't on the stock one. I installed it with this fitting on, but maybe it's for another model?

I should be doing this day after tomorrow

EDIT: I swapped the lines now I have fuel pressure to the rail! But still no start... I'll check any codes if I can get my ELM327 working. Maybe loose ground to CCM? Maybe someone will learn from my mess I'll keep posting the progress...

Last edited by Alienascii; 02-10-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:01 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Any updates???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in