Broken Bolt Removal - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Broken Bolt Removal

Ok, so a month ago, while doing my front end rebuild, motor mount replacement, sway bar installation, etc. I broke off one of the motor mount bolts flush with the aluminum block.

Just today, I had my welder buddy come out and TIG weld onto the remains in an attempt to get the bolt out. NO LUCK!!

He said the bolt just keeps breaking off. He has done this a lot and is very familiar with what needs to be done. He heated the block, but he said probably not hot enough since all I had was a small propane torch.

I have NEVER had any luck with an easy out and I'm not comfortable drilling and tapping at those weird angles...

So I’m open to suggestions as I REALLY don’t want to pull the engine!!!

(But if I do, I’ll rebuild it, pop the Cobra intake on it and bolt it to the T-45)

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Weld a nut to it with stick rod, Lincoln Excalibur 11018, then spray it with pb blaster let it cool and slowly work it back and forth intel it breaks free. if its to short to weld the nut on then carefully build it up with stainless rod intel you can get to it, i use this method at work all the time, on the larger bolts i drill all the way threw them then weld the hole back up and it shrinks the bolt, then weld the nut to it and they usually come right out.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
2 out of 3 bolts aint bad .. no just kidding. I hate broken bolts.

Heat + Parafin wax ( not candle ) .. works wonders on Pipe thread bolts in the engine block .. you let it suck up the wax and the bolt usually threads out without tools.

Easy out ( They are never easy ) ... heres a couple tips if you do this route. Use a nice center punch to get a good start. Start drilling 90 degrees Directly to the Angle the bolt broke off on, and work your way slowly in until you get it straight with the bolt angle. Drill SLOWLY, no fast drilling .. use motor oil for cutting. .. Use the proper size Drill bit for the EZ out you are using. If possible, use a Brand NEW EZ out, or drill bits ... last thing you want is a Broken EZ out or a drill bit broken off inside the bolt you are trying to remove.

.. hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
2 out of 3 bolts aint bad .. no just kidding. I hate broken bolts.
Yep that will work... Oh wait, that is what I'm going to do...

After a long discussion with my welder buddy, we decided to plug weld the motor mount to the bolt.

He said that bolt is either going to take the treads with it, or crack the boss, or crack the boss AND take the threads with it. Either way, the hole would be ruined and require more work...

Hopefully that will hold until I are more ready to actually pull the engine. I'm sure when I do, I'll break off bolts in the heads (exhaust manifolds), and who knows what else.

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 PM
PostWhore

I broke one bolt on my exhaust with a breaker bar, and for the rest of my time I took apart my engine, I used an electric impact gun and didn't break another one and I am up in the rust belt. So if you are going to give it another shot by welding a nut onto it then try an impact. Unless you already have, in which case disregard my rant here.

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, he left a nut welded on, so I'm going to try heat, PB Blaster, electric impact (which is a POS for an impact wrench, but might be perfect for this), heat, treat, wrench, etc. until the nut snaps off or the bolt comes out.

Crossing fingers!!!

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
Yeah, he left a nut welded on, so I'm going to try heat, PB Blaster, electric impact (which is a POS for an impact wrench, but might be perfect for this), heat, treat, wrench, etc. until the nut snaps off or the bolt comes out.

Crossing fingers!!!
Just use short bursts at first. try to finesse that SOB out of there. Good luck. Hope it comes out.

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
Either way, the hole would be ruined and require more work...
Repairing it is the easy part. On one of my blocks with a stuck bolt, I couldn't extract the bolt because I messed up the center hole for the bolt-extractor. So I ended up drilling it all out, messed up the threads, so I tapped it for two autozone fix-a-thread inserts, and its stout now.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to ThunderRoad
Cool If Your Drill With A Reverse Drill Bit

THE TWIST IS REVERSE A GOOD HARDWARE STORE SHOULD HAVE A SET..... WITH A REVERSE DRILL MOTOR .....START SMALL AND WORK YOUR WAY UP USING RUST CUTTING SPRAY OR DW-40 PLENTY OF IT
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 PM
5th Gear Poster

I don't know about anyone else, but I've gotten out of this in the past by drilling.

Get a metal punch on the broken bolt to start a mark for a drill bit. Use a good sharp bit on a low speed drill and oil it while drilling. The vibration will also help work the oil into the threads.

Once this hole is drilled, make it larger with the correct bit for the "bolt extractor" bit needed for that size bolt - make sure you are down good and deep into the bolt.

Heat the snot out of that bad boy and hit it with oil and then tap with a hammer to work the oil in. Do this about a half dozen times and then use the bolt extractor lowly to ensure good bite.

This should get that bolt out like it ain't even stuck. Good luck.

"Behold, I am coming quickly..." Rev. 22:12-13NKJV
- Jesus Christ

My 95 LX project car
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Drilling and a bolt extractor has always freed me from these situations. If the threads come with the bolt oh well, slide the drill bit in, tape around the bit as a depth mark, weld the fubar'd hole, drill it again slightly undersized, cut/tap new threads, chase new threads, lubricate new hardware, enjoy.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in