Air conditioning question.. ? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Question Air conditioning question.. ?

I was out digging in my shed the other day and found some R-12 that I had left over from when I had our 1984 Thunderbird. I used to charge it about every other year when we had it. Now that I have the '84 Cougar with basically the same set up I can use this in it. I still have to locate my hose kit to put it in with or I can borrow a friends.

My question is........ which AC hose in my 1984 Cougar LS 3.6 V-6 is the low pressure line? It has been way too many years since I did the Thunderbird for me to remember which line it was LOL

Before I do anything to this system I am going to try to charge it. When I turn the AC on the clutch will engage but will short cycle indicating not enough Freon in the system. If this will make it work then I am just going to keep it charged with R12. If the system has a major leak then I may consider retr-fitting it for the r134.

It's not the destination, it's the journey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I stand by what I said in your other thread http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=134124. Avoid the cans. Have it serviced professionally. Don't retro fit to 134a. Again that's my professional opinion, ultimately it's your choice what you do with your car.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supv26 View Post
I was out digging in my shed the other day and found some R-12 that I had left over from when I had our 1984 Thunderbird. I used to charge it about every other year when we had it. Now that I have the '84 Cougar with basically the same set up I can use this in it. I still have to locate my hose kit to put it in with or I can borrow a friends.

My question is........ which AC hose in my 1984 Cougar LS 3.6 V-6 is the low pressure line? It has been way too many years since I did the Thunderbird for me to remember which line it was LOL

Before I do anything to this system I am going to try to charge it. When I turn the AC on the clutch will engage but will short cycle indicating not enough Freon in the system. If this will make it work then I am just going to keep it charged with R12. If the system has a major leak then I may consider retr-fitting it for the r134.
The bigger line is the low pressure line, the smaller line is high pressure. Another way to tell is the low side goes from evaporator (in the passenger compartment) to compressor, the high side goes from compressor to condenser (in front of the radiator) to dryer (little can most of the time with glass eye) to expansion valve and evaporator.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Last edited by NetKeym; 03-16-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
The bigger line is the low pressure line, the smaller line is high pressure. Another way to tell is the low side goes from evaporator (in the passenger compartment) to compressor, the high side goes from compressor to condenser (in front of the radiator) to dryer (little can most of the time with glass eye) to expansion valve and evaporator.

[IMG]http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af185/dickbragg/Interior/AC_Layout.jpg[IMG]
These cars aren't quite configured like that. The high-pressure line exits the condenser to the liquid line with the orifice tube and then goes straight to the evaporator. After it exits the evaporator then it goes to the drier/accumulator and back the compressor.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in