Brake Caliper Question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Brake Caliper Question

I have a pull to the right while braking that I understand is generally a brake caliper issue. I have had the bird aligned three times this last month to rule out alignment issues (tech mentioned that their rack was not the best).

Since it pulls to the right, I read (which physically makes sense) that this indicates an issue with the driver side caliper. Since my steering wheel actually moves as well, shouldn't this indicate a front brake issue rather than a rear one?

I pulled the tire off and the caliper does not turn while applying the brakes (did this with the help of my dad) and turns freely when they are off. Does this mean the caliper is working fine, or could it be working half way in between? The pulling issue happens everytime I hit the brakes (of course more pull is felt the faster I am moving).

Any other thoughts?

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
What do you mean by "caliper does not turn"? Calipers don't turn, they compress the pads against the rotor.

First, I would start by doing a thorough four-corners bleed, there might be air in the lines.

Also unbolt the caliper and check to be sure the pins between the bracket and caliper slide freely. If the pins are rusted, only one pad is giving braking effort.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, posted in a hurry. Meant rotor does not turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Check your strut rod bushings. On these cars, when you have a pull under braking, those bushings being worn out is much more common than a caliper problem. The simple way is have someone drive past you at 10-15mph and have them hit the brakes right in front of you, and watch the front wheel to see if it moves back in the wheel well. Check on both wheels, but if your car is pulling to the right, the right side is probably worse than the left.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
I agree, it is most likely a suspension issue than a brake part issue.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 04:32 AM
4th Gear Poster

strut rod bushing or upper control arm probably. jack car up put on jack stands block rear wheels so it wont go anywhere and grab tire at 3 and 9 o clock positions wiggle wheel/tire if it moves you have suspension issues. do same at 6 and 12 oclock again any movement is bad. do this for both sides and then become friendly with the parts guys you prefer...

No matter how good she looks. No matter how cool she is about your "stuff". No matter how great she is in bed, someone somewhere is sick of her crap.

1995 850R with 18T, 3" downpipe, R.I.P. kit, ported intake,42lb injectors, N/A cams, 960 throttlebody, Rica tune(15psi in first and second 17psi in third and fourth). Bilsteins all around, V70R caliper and rotor upgrade, total lack of traction. IPD STB, Ultra Racing lower braces and RSTB.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 12:45 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Check your strut rod bushings. On these cars, when you have a pull under braking, those bushings being worn out is much more common than a caliper problem. The simple way is have someone drive past you at 10-15mph and have them hit the brakes right in front of you, and watch the front wheel to see if it moves back in the wheel well. Check on both wheels, but if your car is pulling to the right, the right side is probably worse than the left.
+1.

Had this exact problem years ago and it was the strut rod bushing. With the car in park, I was able to push my wheel forward about 2" by standing behind it and pushing it backward with my foot.

~Jeff

*signed off
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM
PostWhore

Check your rear steel brake lines as well........ I've had a slight pull for about 2 months now. Now that it's nice enough to go out and look at things I see that my passanger rear steel line(right above the control arm on the drivers side) is leaking........ if it's not one thing it's another.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in