weird tranny fluid loss issue - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
weird tranny fluid loss issue

the bird has been sitting for about three weeks now. it is continuously losing atf, even while parked. its sitting on a slight incline, situated to where the driver side is facing downhill. the atf has appeared to mix with water. i put a large cookie sheet underneath, and it was filled with water and atf in about a week.

i crawled under and noticed that the tranny support bracket has rotated towards the front of the car a good amount, like 30 degrees. the mount looks like its toast, as well, hence while the bracket is tilted like that. i didnt see anything that looked cracked, nor was the pan loose. the yoke seal area looks dry. the area around the mount, as well as almost the entire undercarriage, is covered in wet grime. a bad mount wouldnt cause a continual loss of fluid like this, would it? and where is the water coming from?

now the weird part:

i checked the dipstick. after 3 clean wipes, the level comes up to over an inch above the plastic part of the dipstick.

any ideas? my apartment is starting to get on my case about this!

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Possible radiator leak internally. The coolant is working into the transmission, it's so overfilled that it's venting out of the transmission vent. That would be my guess. Especially if the fluid is foamy and pink like a milkshake. Check the radiator also to see if it is also mixed. If it is then the fix is change the radiator and all of the transmission fluid before it eats the glue that bonds the friction material inside the transmission.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Sig Nazi & Gallery Moderator

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike View Post
...i checked the dipstick. after 3 clean wipes, the level comes up to over an inch above the plastic part of the dipstick.
Was the car at the same incline when you checked the fluid or was it on a level surface?

TBIRDBRAIN - PRESTON
YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN
4/22/63 - 4/23/14
RIP JOEL BENDER
07/30/1979 - 03/26/2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.tbirdbrain View Post
Was the car at the same incline when you checked the fluid or was it on a level surface?
always been on an incline. i know i checked it wrong, but im not going to start it up until i found out if it is safe to do so. im worried that if i start it up, it will leak like crazy.

the fluid is not pink and foamy. i havent checked the radiator yet.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:19 PM
PostSlut

tranny fluid will show higher than normal when car is not running, due to the tranny pump not puming fluid...

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
Check the radiator also to see if it is also mixed.
negative, still typical green color.

i havent noticed if it is still leaking. i have a folded up old towel sitting in the cookie sheet absorbing any liquids.

im thinking i should just bite the bullet and fire it up...

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike View Post
im thinking i should just bite the bullet and fire it up...
and i did so. no leaking yet. the coolant is still green but the level in the tank drops quite a bit while running, and rises back up after shutting it off. the tranny dipstick is dry, but im not driving it (pedals arent installed.....if you dont know, then dont ask why). its still on a slight incline.

before i go and spend more money on atf and a new radiator, can anyone confirm that my radiator is in fact leaking internally? what else can i check for?

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Pressure test the rad and see if it holds or not. If it doesn't hold, disconnect the tranny lines and pressurize it again and see if it comes out the holes where the lines bolt up.

Also, if the cooler in your rad is in fact busted, rather than swapping the rad, you could just bypass the internal cooler, run an external cooler, and plug up the holes for the stock tranny cooler. You live in texas, so you would never have a need to warm up the trans fluid, and an external cooler will keep the fluid cooler anyway.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in