ac high pressure cutout switch question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

ac high pressure cutout switch question

I've searched the forums and can't find the answer I'm looking for.
I'm putting in an ac system from a 95 3.8 to my 93 3.8; compressor, hoses, and receiver/dryer. Do I need to hook up the high pressure cutout switch, or can I leave that unplugged? Otherwise I will need to gather some more parts.

thanks

84 BMW 633csi 5speed
92 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
93 Ford T-bird
http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa391/chris93tblx/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 07:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The 93 used R-12 whereas the 95 used R-134a. The pressures and cutoff levels are different, the seals and o-rings are different, the oil is different and the fittings are different. You'll need to flush the evaporator and condenser of all the oil before you reassemble everything. IIRC the high pressure switch is the one that senses when the pressure is high enough to warrant turning on the radiator fan and when to stop the compressor if the pressure is too high, so you'll need to hook everything up.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
Pre-'94 didn't use a high pressure switch, as you know, it relied on the low pressure switch to cause compressor cycling and then there was a high-pressure blow-off on the back of the compressors. I don't know if the '94-'97 have a blow-off valve (I assume they do) but if they do, you need to at least see what the max psi of that valve is.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The blow-off valve is also the high side charging valve. IIRC the pressure is somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 PSI.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

that is the whole point of this conversion, to go from r12 to 134a. so i will need an electric fan and the CCRM?

84 BMW 633csi 5speed
92 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
93 Ford T-bird
http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa391/chris93tblx/
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I would stick with the hardware you have, flush out all of the old r-12 oil and refill (6-8 oz) of Pag oil. If the older models dont incorporate a high pressure cutoff switch, just leave it unhooked (i assume you are swapping the newer model lines onto the older car). Also I will have to check but I nearly know the blow off valve is on the back of the manifold that bolts to the compressor. Practically every newer model A/C system I have been in has some type of blow off valve somewhere in the high side (usually in the compressor or manifold).

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:49 PM

The high-pressure cutout switch serves 2 purposes.
1) It kicks on the high speed fan when the pressure gets sufficiently high.
2) It cuts off the compressor clutch just before the refrigerant is about to discharge from the relief valve.

You don't have to use this switch, but you will want an electric fan for sure. You will also want to swap out your condenser because the newer systems use many more fins to dissipate heat as R-134a operates at higher pressures and temperatures.

Also, the relief valve is on the manifold assembly very near to the compressor itself. It does not discharge out of the high pressure charging port, not under normal circumstances anyway.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in