Can you hear your fuel pump inside the car when the engine is running? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Can you hear your fuel pump inside the car when the engine is running?

I noticed the other day what I thought was a new noise inside the car when I was stationary. After a while I came to realise that its the fuel pump.

When the cars running and stationary I can hear a feint buzz/hum from the rear seat area. Its not really noticeable when driving, and it may well have always done it.

As I have tendencies to be paranoid, I just wondered if anyone else gets this, or of my pump might be on the way out?

There are no problems with the running of the car, and its just turned 115k miles.

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:46 PM
PostWhore

Never heard mine other than it clicking on when the ignition is turned on before the motor starts. Since it's electrical, mileage varies a lot on them but 100k miles it could be going out. My OEM one lasted about 240k-250k miles but you never know.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Surely if its definitely on its way out it would either start causing running problems, or make a loud noise? This is barely noticeable.

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I've never been able to hear anything from inside the car with the engine running on the bird, but on the Cougar I can hear a very distinct whine when the passenger door is open at idle. It's also audible in such a fashion on the Mark, but not as loud.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Kind of slapped together

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LET ME TURN MY STEREO DOWN!!!

(turns volume down from 13 to 5 or so)

Ok - what, the fuel pump? Naw, never hear it.

(turns volume back up)

WHO CAN HEAR OVER THIS RADIO???

*snrk*

(Had to do it, y'know.)

RwP
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:16 PM
PostWhore

Well I have a 3.8L NA so all I hear is the power steering pump.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post

I quote that for the truth!

Well, in my case, that and the exhaust leak the car has...

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Have to wait and see I suppose.....

The Eagles

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Lucas PS fix. I never try additives until it's last ditch but I had a PS that was a little noisy and leaked a LOT. Lucas > within 200 miles stopped whining and stopped losing fluid.

Had same results with Lucas AT additive after a guy sold me a 93 with OD slip probs in hot weather. Drove car another 150,000 miles and never saw prob again.. with small tranny cooler for good measure.

Oh. the OP!
Just changed mine because the FP started howling a day or so after I bought it. Really noticeable where it wasnt when I checked the car out before buying. A rattly howl bordering on occasional screech = almost toast.

Understand.. if it was a nice even hum as it sounds on key-on, just seemed louder, I would have waited.

Last edited by pettyfog; 06-24-2011 at 04:12 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I can hear mine inside the car.

1995 LX 4.6 Stock for now.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Poster

If you double isolate the pump you won't hear it - whether the engine is running or not.
If you mount the pump solid then you will hear it.
Double isolation uses a rubber isolator on the back of the mounting panel, one on the front of the mounting panel, and another over the top of the pump bracket. There should be a tube that runs through the middle isolatorand pump mounting flange. The screws go through the tube and all the isolators to keep the screws from transferring noise to the panel.
This way the pump floats between one pair of isolators and the whole rig floats on the mounting panel beteen isolators, with the screws floating in the tubes. No noise transferred to the panel and any noise in the pump is deadened by the isolators.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:05 PM

After mine went out at 120,000 miles i had never noticed it.When they put a new one in it was and still is noticible compared to the original,but it works fine and has for 60,000 miles!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:46 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS1950 View Post
If you double isolate the pump you won't hear it - whether the engine is running or not.
If you mount the pump solid then you will hear it.
Double isolation uses a rubber isolator on the back of the mounting panel, one on the front of the mounting panel, and another over the top of the pump bracket. There should be a tube that runs through the middle isolatorand pump mounting flange. The screws go through the tube and all the isolators to keep the screws from transferring noise to the panel.
This way the pump floats between one pair of isolators and the whole rig floats on the mounting panel beteen isolators, with the screws floating in the tubes. No noise transferred to the panel and any noise in the pump is deadened by the isolators.
The pump is in the tank, hanging from the pickup/sending unit assy by a rubber hose. It isn't hard-mounted to anything.

And no, I can't hear much of anything other than the engine/blower when it's running.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post

And no, I can't hear much of anything other than the engine/blower when it's running.
Thats because your car is a beast

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Veteran Poster

I Bought my car a year ago or more and the damn pump annoys the hell out of me. hums all the damn time. It hasn't failed yet

I am curious, would using a pump that's been sitting on a shelf in an outside shed all year, cause any problems? Would the pump still run? It's from a 96 just been sitting a long time.

Rest In Peace Mom.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this "problem". I can't hear mine as long as the radio is on, or I'm moving. It hasn't got any worse in the last 6 weeks or so, and is driving fine as ever. If money was no object, I'd get it changed tomorrow, however unless something changes, I think I'll live with it.

It's the birds way of saying I really should've bought that new stereo I was set to buy a little while ago!

GRNDPNDR, I wouldn't have thought the conditions in your outside shed would be any worse than if the pump had been fitted to a car parked outside.

The Eagles

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Veteran Poster

On a car the pump is inside a container and wet with gas.
In the shed it's hot and cold depending on the season. I'm more concerned about seals being dry I guess.

Rest In Peace Mom.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 07:35 AM
On Probation

no I can not hear it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in