Oil Pressure - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Oil Pressure

So I am currently using Valvoline Conventional 5w-20 oil in my 96 4.6L Thunderbird's engine. Ford, the owner's manual, and different owners I have spoken to all say use either 5w-20 or 5w-30 weight oil. I decided to use the 20 weight to maybe free up some horsepower but now my oil pressure is low. Not dangerously low as to cause problems, but just below the "n" on "norm" on the reading in the gauge cluster. Is this from the oil or from another issue? Thank you.

1996 "Talladega" T-Bird - Full PI Swap with custom Comp Cams, dyno tuned, SCP CAI, Underdrive Pulleys, Professional Products 75mm Throttle Body and Intake Plenum, 3.73 gears, JBA Shorties, Screamin' Demon Coil Packs, Livewires, 2.5" Mandrel Bent True Dual Exhaust, O/R X, electric exhaust cutouts, built 4R70W with Shift Kit, Cobra R Hood, Custom Spoiler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:54 PM
PostWhore

My Chiltons says 10w30 or 5w30. The stock gauge isn't very accurate and varies car to car. I'm sure someone who knows oil better can give you some tips though.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmoore0693 View Post
So I am currently using Valvoline Conventional 5w-20 oil in my 96 4.6L Thunderbird's engine. Ford, the owner's manual, and different owners I have spoken to all say use either 5w-20 or 5w-30 weight oil. I decided to use the 20 weight to maybe free up some horsepower but now my oil pressure is low. Not dangerously low as to cause problems, but just below the "n" on "norm" on the reading in the gauge cluster. Is this from the oil or from another issue? Thank you.
Unless you've modded the oil pressure system, it's irrevelent - it's a switch and a resistor, and the gauge will vary depending on several factors (including how many bean burritos you had for lunch, it seems ... )

The big secret is to put an accurate oil pressure gauge on it, and see if it's dropping too low at idle when warm.

RwP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Yup if you're noticing the gauge reading differently it's either placebo effect from knowing you went to a different oil and are now paying closer attention, or you or whoever changed the oil bumped or soaked the connector on the sender with oil. Any varation between the center(between O and R) and nothing is circuit/connection related, the sender is nothing more than a pressure driven on/off switch.

-Matt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thanks for the answers. I do tend to spill the oil out of the filter everytime I change it but if you've ever changed it on this car you know what I mean. Lol

1996 "Talladega" T-Bird - Full PI Swap with custom Comp Cams, dyno tuned, SCP CAI, Underdrive Pulleys, Professional Products 75mm Throttle Body and Intake Plenum, 3.73 gears, JBA Shorties, Screamin' Demon Coil Packs, Livewires, 2.5" Mandrel Bent True Dual Exhaust, O/R X, electric exhaust cutouts, built 4R70W with Shift Kit, Cobra R Hood, Custom Spoiler.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Poster

Sometimes my fake OP gauge will read a little low if I have a lot of electrical accessories running. So that might get someone thinking it's reading different.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:44 PM
PostWhore

If you want to free up a few HP, just switch to a quality full synthetic and stick with what's required, 5W30. Change the oil weight at your own risk.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
- How To Bleed Teves ABS Brakes
- How To Remove Front Plate Bracket
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Well we ran a cycle of synthetic 5w-30 through it and that's when I first noticed it dropped. I thought that might be it so i went back to conventional but it still runs a little low (or so it says). Sometimes it will jump up to the middle of "NORM" and then even run a little high. Then it will drop back to right on the "N." Go figure. It runs fine and isn't overheating or doing anything weird so I guess it's just a misreading.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmoore0693 View Post
Well we ran a cycle of synthetic 5w-30 through it and that's when I first noticed it dropped. I thought that might be it so i went back to conventional but it still runs a little low (or so it says). Sometimes it will jump up to the middle of "NORM" and then even run a little high. Then it will drop back to right on the "N." Go figure. It runs fine and isn't overheating or doing anything weird so I guess it's just a misreading.
Search for the tech article showing how to convert it.

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in