Flush AC liquid line? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
Flush AC liquid line?

For some reason I have it in my head that you shouldn't run AC flush solution through an orifice tube. Is that right, or can I flush the liquid line + O-tube? What's the max air pressure that someone should send through the hose?

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 05:42 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Keady View Post
For some reason I have it in my head that you shouldn't run AC flush solution through an orifice tube. Is that right, or can I flush the liquid line + O-tube? What's the max air pressure that someone should send through the hose?
Since if you run one way, you'll plug the orifice tube, and the other way, you run the risk still of destroying the rubber in the tube ...

I bought a new line w/tube off eBay for $25 delivered, but even so, you can buy a new line for around $20 plus shipping from RockAuto ... I'd just swap that line.

(Note: Pricing for a Four Seasons unit for a 1991 Cougar. YMMV.)

RwP
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
^^This is the way to do it. You could also buy an inline orifice tube kit, cut the old one out, and install the new one. AC Delco even makes a universal inline filter that you can change orifice sizes on. This would be very handy for someone doing something custom.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Agreed. I would just replace the entire line rather than use one of the "cut and splice" kits - more connections just means more places to chance leaking.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Out of curiosity, you doing an R134 retrofit and flushing to remove the mineral oil and residue from the line?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGreenCat View Post
Out of curiosity, you doing an R134 retrofit and flushing to remove the mineral oil and residue from the line?
Good question.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
^^This is the way to do it. You could also buy an inline orifice tube kit, cut the old one out, and install the new one. AC Delco even makes a universal inline filter that you can change orifice sizes on. This would be very handy for someone doing something custom.
Yah, I priced those.

They cost as much if not more than the new tube/hose does!

So, I just replaced the whole thing.

Compressor died a "black death" and I'm having to flush the system. I'm taking this as time to replace the accumulator (AGAIN!) on Ruby Jean.

Be glad to get A/C again - it's 98 in the shade, and Ruby's interior is black as a sysadmin's heart.

RwP
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
No, flushing because the system has been open for some time (had the foresight to cap off the compressor's ports.) Already planned to replace the accumulator, just thought I'd ask about the liquid line. The liquid line wasn't very old when the motor was pulled from the car and the AC performance was excellent at that time. But the price is low enough, I'll just get another one.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
No, flushing because the system has been open for some time (had the foresight to cap off the compressor's ports.) Already planned to replace the accumulator, just thought I'd ask about the liquid line. The liquid line wasn't very old when the motor was pulled from the car and the AC performance was excellent at that time. But the price is low enough, I'll just get another one.
Was it already converted to 134a? If it was and you cut the liquid line open and there is no junk. You should be good to go.

Accumulator/dryer and liquid line. If you punch a hole in the dryer and measure the oil that drains out put that much back in the system.

Use nylok on the joints for lube. Good stuff.

Evac and recharge.

Should fire right back up for you then.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
+1 for Nylog, get the blue for 134a (HFC).

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
+1 for Nylog, get the blue for 134a (HFC).
Yeah Nylog. LOL. Nylok duh.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I like to be subtle.

-Brandon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in