A/C Diagnosis? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

A/C Diagnosis?

Wife says the A/C is not working (I swear I am going to start asking her to ride a bike to work - screw that then I will just be fixing a bike all the time). Check it out last night. Fuses good. Compressor is running and the lines to the firewall are cold and sweating - like upper 90's here. No setting though will turn the blower on - heat or A/C. And I can hear the vents opening and closing in the dash with each setting.

I assume blower at this point unless someone has something new to tell me?

Blower is behind the glove box. Where can I get one and any difficultities in replacing?

A sidenote, I have the PI intake with the SATC mod and my own version of the drivers side cooling mod if it means anything - been up and running for several months now and have about 2000 miles on it since.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The connections to the blower motor and controller are known issues. Jiggle them with the blower on manual high to see if anything changes.

If that doesn't affect anything, the next step would be to measure for voltage at the blower motor connector. If it checks out good then the motor is probably toast. Otherwise it's probably the controller module.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
The connections to the blower motor and controller are known issues. Jiggle them with the blower on manual high to see if anything changes.

If that doesn't affect anything, the next step would be to measure for voltage at the blower motor connector. If it checks out good then the motor is probably toast. Otherwise it's probably the controller module.
That's why I ask. Always something with these cars.

The connector and module you speak of are the ones directly in the way of the blower? Two connectors as I recall to a small box that appeared to have a heat sink built into it. What exactly am I looking at? Why the module and the extra connection? Have to do with Auto on the fan control I assume?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The controller is the box with a heat sink. Jiggle the connectors on either side as well as the connector to the blower motor itself.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
The controller is the box with a heat sink. Jiggle the connectors on either side as well as the connector to the blower motor itself.
Guess what happened when I jiggled the connectors?

Wife also admitted to barreling down a dirt/gravel road once I questioned her farther.

Thanks for the tip.

Have you or anyone tried any PM to this problem area - dielectric grease, zip ties, etc?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
If you take out the connector, you should be able to bend the tabs in the connector slightly to create more pressure between the contacts. Other than that, nothing comes to mind.

-Brandon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in