Twisted Transmission cooler line - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Twisted Transmission cooler line

Long story short I broke the top of my radiator trying to swap out the fan and while trying to swap out the radiator twisted the top cooler line closed while loosening the fitting about 1" from the radiator. Can I buy a new fitting for the radiator side and connect a small piece of trans cooler line to it with hose clamps?

It was suggested to cut the fitting off right after the twist on the transmission side and replace the fitting adding a short piece of trans cooler line with hose clamps.

Any idea what parts are required and their sizes? Should I have just taken off the smaller pieces of the fittings and left the larger pieces in the old radiator? I have not fully removed the bottom line yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Banned

Dude, just remove the line, measure and compare at your favorite parts store
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I'm planning on swapping out the twisted section tonight. Anyone know what the outside diameter of the factory line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Other people have driven for years after cutting the ATF cooling "hard lines" and replacing them with flexible hose -- provided the hose is high temp rated. They do this to hook up an aftermarket transmission cooler.

I've done the same on my track car and what I learned was the following:
1) Use two clamps on each end of the connection. It may seem like overkill but this would turn a potential gush into a dribble if one clamp gives out.
2) Use quality clamps. The ones from Harbor Freight are prone to stripping if yuo tighten them beyond a certain point.

I believe i used a transmission cooler hose with an ID of 3/8". YOu should bring in the cut section yourself for comparison.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Make sure you check further down just to make sure

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
If you have enough lengths of untwisted line on the transmission side and the radiator side, you can just cut out the bad spot and clamp the two pieces of line together with trans cooler hose (5/16" ID) and I would double clamp them as well, like s4gunn said. If it is twisted too close to the radiator, you will need to get a hose barb fitting that screws into the trans cooler on the radiator. IIRC, one end of the barb has male pipe thread, the other end needs a 5/16" barb. Good luck!

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks for the info. Last thing I want to do is get ready to put it all together and have the wrong size hose after all the parts stores close.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Overkill Fetish Freak

I made this work of art while talking to a buddy and not watching what I was doing so don't feel too bad.

-Scott
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
The factory line is 5/16 and the hose should be the same, coolers come with a mid size that fits either. Sounds like time to put a cooler on and make the breaks look intentional. DO NOT FORGET TO FLARE THE LINES.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:21 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. FrankenCougie View Post
I made this work of art while talking to a buddy and not watching what I was doing so don't feel too bad.

-Scott
That's artistic, for sure.

I was working on something similar when I pulled my original engine out of the Red Cougar; Hacksaws were made for stuff like that.

Amazing what you can do when you can't see your hands, lol.

BTW, did you ever post up any pix of your cars anywhere? I saw the other ones before the hosting problem, and wish I'd saved them.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in