Voltage reading - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Voltage reading

Measured the voltage across the battery at 12.24 volts. Put the negative probe across the top of the radiator, and get a reading of 12.54 volts.

Anyone know why the discrepancy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 03:24 PM
6th Gear Poster

Galvanic action? If you measured with an old styleVOM bet you wouldnt see much if any voltage at all. A DVM is super sensitive to stray voltages due to its high impedance.
Wave the neg probe in the air.. whattya get? Put a test lite in parallel with your test leads, bet it reads zip or next to zip. The rad core isnt grounded to the frame, that I know of

Good observation, though. Bet grounding the rad core would have done away with a lot of water pump impeller probs in the Taurus 3.0L a few years back.

So, just to be anal, why not ground your core frame
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 12:16 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyfog View Post
So, just to be anal, why not ground your core frame
I don't think that's being anal in this situation at all.

I'd look into why; either salt is eating the outside or the coolant is eating the inside; either one sux.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Ran jumper wire from top of radiator to a ground connection on frame, voltage reading the same as across battery.

Should I make the jumper connection permanent?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Your coolant has reached full electrolosys and is now chemically using your cooling system as a battery. Its time to flush it out, ground it, and possibly invest in a sacrificial anode before it eats something important, like your heater core.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Put one positive lead inside of your Coolant solution without touching any metal edges, etc .. and the negative lead to ground. If it is reading 0.4 volts or higher, you need to flush your cooling system.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I get a reading of 0.12 volts, with the positve lead in the coolant.

Using test strips, get a PH reading of 8.0.

Should I ground the radiator?

Is a zinc anode necessary, if so, where can I purchase one?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 01:58 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminarflow View Post
I get a reading of 0.12 volts, with the positve lead in the coolant.

Using test strips, get a PH reading of 8.0.

Should I ground the radiator?

Is a zinc anode necessary, if so, where can I purchase one?
That's slightly alkaline. Do a flush.
And grounding that frame will do no good, I cant think of anywhere there's contact between it and the core, thus the coolant. If you want to do that run a small - 4/40 - brass bolt through the fins of the core and ground there.

D'OH! - never mind that italicized part. RalphP's right. Geezer brain fart, and totally WRONG.
BUT..
Bear in mind that could have the opposite effect you're going for... ie; completing an electrolysis circuit. you never can tell what eddy currents are going to do.

{by the way, I was an EE by vocation and have seen a lot of weird unintended stuff, esp in telecom and logic circuits}
- and once in a while would blow a meter by probing high volts on ohm scale.. addressing the brain fart issue.

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.

Last edited by pettyfog; 07-01-2011 at 11:07 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
That's slightly alkaline. Do a flush.
And grounding that frame will do no good, I cant think of anywhere there's contact between it and the core, thus the coolant. If you want to do that run a small - 4/40 - brass bolt through the fins of the core and ground there.
I do not know about the OP's car, but the radiator in my 5.0HO (a 1991) has these two tabs on the core that the fan shroud bolts to - work great as a grounding point.

I think that's where Splattered did his 4.6's radiator ground.

Worth looking at.

RwP
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 11:00 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
The activation energy to eat the aluminum is ~.4; as log as you don't see that, you're ok.

That said, I'd flush it, and replace the coolant. It's only going to get worse.

Alkaline is actually slightly worse for aluminum; but don't add anything to match the pH, as that would be worse.

Adding a zinc anode is as far as I would go.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:

D'OH! - never mind that italicized part. RalphP's right. Geezer brain fart, and totally WRONG.
*snicker*

ET's been doing that to you EEs since Tesla invented electricity

(Just ragging - I know what you were thinking, and really didn't know if all radiators had those clips up there.)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 07:39 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
*snicker*

ET's been doing that to you EEs since Tesla invented electricity
Actually, it's WORSE! I'm trying to figure out what I was referencing in my mental image. I've only had 4 cars {3 Birds and a Taurus} with that plastic tank style radiator, replaced THREE plus a water pump, separately.
I know full well how the dang thing's constructed. And the clip has nothing to do with it.

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in