How do i get Mileage? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

How do i get Mileage?

Can anyone tell me if its possible the cars mileage is recorded someplace other than the Odometer? Mine stopped working years ago and im curious how many miles ive put on it.

Work needed to be done: Heater Core Replaced; Driver Door panel replaced; Right Inner tie rod replaced; Front suspension rotting away; Wire connection to the transmission melted from contact with exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Only way I know of is to check the date code on the tires and approximate how many miles have been traveled on them based on the treadwear and mileage warranty.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 02:00 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
Can anyone tell me if its possible the cars mileage is recorded someplace other than the Odometer? Mine stopped working years ago and im curious how many miles ive put on it.
S W A G !

Sophisticated Wild Assed Guess is only ways I know.

Monica Lewinski turned 50 this week.

Later

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 06:20 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Considering there are gobs and gobs of apps out there now, there should be one that uses the device to determine "distance traveled". Or a GPS receiver might do the same thing.

Then just do the math with the gallons put in the tank.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I dont think you guys understand. Im curious about the TOTAL mileage on the car. Its been years since the odometer stopped working, ive changed the tires since then and what not. I was hoping there was a way to know from the cars computer, but im guessing from the reply's so far, that the car's computer doesn't keep track of that?

Work needed to be done: Heater Core Replaced; Driver Door panel replaced; Right Inner tie rod replaced; Front suspension rotting away; Wire connection to the transmission melted from contact with exhaust.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Oh. Sorry I thought you were talking about fuel economy. I don't know of any way to determine the total miles on the car.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
We understand perfectly what you're asking. There is no way to know exactly how many miles are on the car. You can estimate your mileage based on any previous records you may have kept of your travels or mileage per year, month, or tank of gas.

Take the mileage when the odo stopped working (currently displayed mileage) and add about 1,000 to 1,200 miles per month since it stopped working and you'll be at a pretty good estimation of the mileage on the car. To do this you have to know when the odo stopped working otherwise there is no way to even begin to estimate the mileage on the car.

No, the computer does not keep track of your mileage. The 1995 Tbird was built long before computers became so sophisticated and now keep track of EVERYTHING (You can be thankful for that). Modern car computers are now used in many undesirable ways to track your movements, speed, direction, braking, driving habits, g-forces (cornering and braking forces), etc.

The police, car companies, insurance companies and accident investigators now go for the computer first thing after any major or even minor accident to see exactly what you were doing at the time of impact. Or, they could use the data to deny warranty claims based on how you drove the car.

Beware of newer cars! Big brother is watching!

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-30-2011 at 11:05 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

eh well its too late really. im retiring the bird as its just got too many problems to be worth fixing. Ive already bought a used Elentra for better gas mileage. I wish fixing the bird wasnt going to cost more than it was worth, but its just has so many problems now i couldnt keep up with it.

I was just wanting to know how much i really drive it before i got rid of it.. oh well.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I had the same problem with the trans wiring melting from contact with the exhaust. That was a piss poor design flaw from Ford. The wiring wasn't routed away from or protected from the exhaust.

Are you planning on parting the car out or selling it?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
im retiring the bird as its just got too many problems to be worth fixing. [...] I wish fixing the bird wasnt going to cost more than it was worth, but its just has so many problems now i couldnt keep up with it.
That's unfortunate that you have to let the car go. I understand how the sudden surge of things that break can cause a lot of money to go away very fast, but I think about things differently. I look at the maintenance or upkeep of my cars as the "car payment" for them. If those "payments" (not including regular maintenance items like plugs, wires, oil, etc.) start to exceed those of what you'd pay for a new car (or even a slightly used car), then I start to evaluate the practicality of keeping the car.

Many people can't do this however because they only have one car that they have to rely on in a day-to-day basis. In my case I have other cars to fall back on should one need work and be out of commission for a while.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 04:24 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Are you planning on parting the car out or selling it?
Dibs. j/k

Well if you have another car now cant you keep it and fix it?

Many times I've ran into the problem of, it's costing me more than it's worth but there are also months where it doesn't cost me anything except oil changes and gas. With everything I've put into my 94 I could have bought a brand new car and more but, it would be getting to the point where it would need work also, it's a never ending story and newer cars = more expensive parts.

I chose to keep fixing the bird and in my case worked out better. I may have sunk enough into it to buy another new car but it's basically better than new except it needs paint. Since almost everything on the car that can be removed or break down has been replaced except the wiring and PCM. I know I'll be able to drive it for a long time still and I love driving it.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in