Stuck on mounting rad - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Question Stuck on mounting rad

This is for my engine stand I started building last year.

I'm hoping by the end of the summer I'll have this engine running on the stand but I need some guidance from those who have done this before.

I've managed to get a basic stand built. It holds the engine and trans but I have no freaking idea how to mount the rad to the stand. I don't have the mounting tabs/ears that hold the rad in the car so I have none of the hardware from the the car to use to mount it to the stand.

At this point I would like suggestions and ideas from those who know, about where to go with this stand next, how to get the rad mounted and how to get it to start.

As you can see, the rad right now, as you read this, is simply connected by te hoses and held with bungee cords from a bar on the ceiling.

Please help. I need to get this stand done and engine running this summer.

Rest In Peace Mom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:42 AM
PostWhore

Awesome sturdy looking mount, I've never seen it done with the transmission hooked up before. If you didn't have the trans hooked up you could just use longer radiator hoses and set the radiator anywhere off to the side. It doesn't have to be right there.

You can weld a L bracket across the bottom underneath the radiator by each bottom radiator mount, drill holes in it so the bottom radiator mounts will fit in to it. Then one piece of steel going straight up to the height of the radiator so you can secure the top. It shouldn't go anywhere.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

The stand is nice yes (I think so). My BIGGEST problem is the engine mounts. The passenger side mount on the stand is a little off center.

How can I accurately measure where to put the engine mounts? It's a small issue that needs to be corrected later on.

Anyway, the rad, that actually sounds like a decent idea. I know it could be mounted anywhere, but the stand was designed with keeping the parts in the same location in mind. I wanted to avoid finding odd parts to make it fit when ive already got hoses etc.

Rest In Peace Mom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

One small "issue" with the rad is that it doesn't sit centered on the front. It's off to the drivers side a bit.

I can put it on center but it stresses the trans cooler lines slightly, pushing them towards the passenger side a touch, against their will.

Rest In Peace Mom.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 12:04 PM
PostWhore

If you have a motor lift I think the best thing to do is support the motor then cut the parts off of the stand you have the motor mounts mounted to, mount them correctly to the motor mounts and lower it into place then recut and reweld them so they are aligned properly.

As for the radiator being centered, I don't think it's really that important as long as everything is hooked up. But I'm sure other people have better ideas than i do.

-Kelly
Fuelly
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

That's basically what I did when I put the mounts on the first time. Because I mis-measured (didn't know how actually) the stand itself is actually about 1" narrower than it should be.

I don't have and engine hoist or anything to level it. I used chain falls to hoist it up on a beam. The transmission has never been removed so leveled it with a level on the throttle body and out the mount towers in place.

Having a proper hoist with leveler would make my life so easy.

I'm not worried about having the rad centered for looks but it hangs off the edge of my stand. Actually making it harder to mount the rad in an easy fashion.

I think I got it though. Your idea about the angle mount sparked a thought. Ill just use two pieces of pipe. I'm trying to find some pipe with the right diameter for the rad mounts. I got it measured I think. Once I find the pipe I can weld it in and stick the rad in.

Then I'll just bring up a bar like you said to hold the top of the rad.

Rest In Peace Mom.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 12:32 PM
PostWhore

You may be able to brace it with a floor jack so you can cut and straighten out the mounts or do the chain and beam thing again but you're better off getting some ideas from someone who has actually done it. Good luck!

-Kelly
Fuelly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in