Fuel vapor crossover size? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Fuel vapor crossover size?

Anybody know the ID of the fuel vapor crossover hose that crosses over top of the drive shaft at the rear of the fuel tank?

Anybody replace it leaving gas tank in position?

I ask as one of the first steps in dropping tank is .... to disconnect one side. Gas coming out of my '92 Sport at fill up, I "suspect" a hole. Like to take the car and go for a drive, stop and get replacement, and burn some fuel off in the process.

Thanks .... and a Happy July 4th to all !

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

OK .... now I know.

It is 5/8" ID fuel rated low pressure hose and is exactly 16-1/2 (16.5) inches long.

Backed the '92 up on "shop apron" and on some 8" high ramps, crawled under with light and mirror, see that damn squirrel ate a small hole at the back of the "U" formed by the hose, I guess he sat on top of the rear pumpkin and thought "hmmm, that looks tasty". Not a big hole, maybe 1/2" across.

Car is 19 years old, I know, but I was going to try and replace the hose, but first wanted to be sure of size. At each end, the plastic barb from the tank is 3/4" OD where exposed. Hose didn't measure much over 7/8" OD itself so must be stepped I thought. I carefully measuerd length in place as best as I could, was near 16-1/2". I loosened clamps at both ends, the end on the pass side is harder to reach, I found a long screwdriver aimed in from over top of right rear suspension worked. Driver's side was easy.

Hose was tight on barb, didn't want to let go, so I paused .... if I persisted, could I break or crack a barb from the tank?

Maybe so.

Better to remove hose with a slit, but I didn't have any on hand. Decided to cut section out of middle at points accessible to clamp from below, and then after cutting, I remeasured lengths of now three pieces which straightened out a little.

One end was a hair under 5" long on pass side, exactly 4" long on driver's side, and the piece in hand with hole was a hair over 7-1/2" ... add up, cancel the + and -- hairs, = 16-1/2".

Measure ID exactly 5/8".

I was going to slit ends and remove and go look for new hose, but then I examined the piece of hose removed. No cracking, pretty well preserved and not stiff either. I decided to make a long splice of tubing. I had some 1/2" copper roll tubing and I found a section of 5/8" OD rigid copper. Cut and bend a piece of 1/2" to fit and line up with the two ends left on the car at rest and allow 1" insertion into each. Then cut two 1" long pieces of 5/8" OD rigid and while a loos fit on the 1/2" stuff, it was close. Added slight flare to ends so sleaves don't slide off while soldering, sand lightly, sweat solder ends sleaves in place. Cean up and smooth.

Slip part of the old hose back over copper to prevent chaffing (I forgot there's a plastic guard up top) and slip two clamps on new splice, put in place and clamp .... she's fixed until the cows come home ... .... or until I drop tank some day (which will be a day she does not have 18 gallons of liquid gold inside).

I'll pick up enough to do both T-birds one day.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in