installing an a/c compressor and refilling system - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
installing an a/c compressor and refilling system

the 93 came without a compressor. i have a delete pulley in its place.

can i just install a compressor and have the a/c system evacuated and filled by a shop, or will i need to replace other system components?

am i ok to use r134 since the a/c system has been open for so long?

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike View Post

can i just install a compressor and have the a/c system evacuated and filled by a shop, or will i need to replace other system components?

Compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube (which is in the liquid line) should be replaced.

You should also have everything else flushed to make sure there's no crap in there to kill the compressor as soon as it starts running.

Finally, depending on your humidity, you may need to have the vacuum pump running when you connect the accumulator up or within minutes afterwards (I had mine connected to the high side, and fired it up while connecting to the low side hose, which comes on the accumulator for the 5.0HO.)

RwP
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:39 AM
6th Gear Poster

^^^ Ralph means the minute the system is closed, start vacuum. Unless you have nitrogen handy. Actually the best way to finish a flush is with nitrogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike View Post

You were okay to use 134 anyway. Conversion's a snap especially replacing the compressor, because you ALWAYS replace the accumulator at the same time.

That isnt your problem. Thing is you dont know if the compressor was working okay when the delete was installed/ or clutch failed, it may have failed previously. So you might just have to replace the condenser coil.

Because the system was exposed to air {thus water vapor}, over time the oil in the system will have absorbed water and formed a sludge in worse case. Where you cant see it. You need a complete and thorough Flush of the condenser evaporator and lines. Probably should replace the orifice tube.

Folks.. this is why when the clutch / bearing fails you run to the junkyard and get a good used compressor, not a delete. and hook it up even if you have no intention of using that compressor. Works much better to keep the system sealed than plugs.

Here's the basics.. self-promoting but true.

http://www.autoacsystems.com/_faqs/3tiplist.html

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.

Last edited by pettyfog; 07-18-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in