Oil pan drain plug stuck - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Oil pan drain plug stuck

This is weird.....last time my oil was changed,i had it done at work...the previous oil change, I did myself. Now,i am trying to get the oil pan drain plug off, using an 18mm ratcheting wrench. The drain plug is now loose -I can spin it with my finger, and oil is dripping out, but the plug is not really backing out at all, could the thread be screwed up?

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 06:44 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Can you retighten it snug? Yeah its possible someone stripped your threads but you need a breaker bar to go that far. Hmm yeah I need to tighten this little bolts oh I know a 2 ft breaker bar will be perfect or what there is this impact gun hehe...just thinking some moron tech would try that at least once.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

So does the oil pan need to be replaced? I think I feel a motor swap coming on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
So does the oil pan need to be replaced? I think I feel a motor swap coming on
No I think its possible to recut new threads but the pan should come out.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Did you verify it wasn't the plug that was screwed up? They seem to be softer than normal bolts. You might need to GENTLY pry it away from the pan while turning it, something plastic so you can't put too much pressure on it.

My neighbor got sick of paying to get his oil changed, so he decided to do it himself. He had to borrow my 3 foot long breaker bar, the 1 1/2 foot long 1/2 drive ratchet didn't help over using a wrench! It was very obvious that it was improperly installed after the last oil change. The crush washer/seal it has was 3 times the diameter of the one he bought to replace it, and it was copper.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I did not verify what the actual problem was...I could not get the drain plug off, and I could not get it tight...right now there is a very slow leak from the drain plug, a very small occasional drip, which sucks, this car doesn't leak anything.

It could just be the drain plug...so if I stick like a small screwdriver between the plug and the pan and loosen it should come out?

If the pan has to be removed to be re-tapped for, I am assuming a larger plug, it would seem the motor would have to come out, or at least be lifted up somewhat to get the pan out from between the suspension where it sits...

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Veteran Poster

You could retap the pan while still on the motor, however you NEED to be absolutely positive that there is no metal shavings left in the pan when you are done. Or kaboom!

Phrum Steve

89 Thunderbird SC 3.8SC W/ Factory manual
http://photobucket.com/SCno1

94 Thunderbird LX 3.8 N/A Automatic
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/...Bird%20No%203/
sold, sadly

95 Thunderbird SC deal pending
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:13 PM
6th Gear Poster

Dont plan before you know the facts.

Clamp visegrips on the head. Grab them right at the jaws and pull away hard and even to try to engage the threads.

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyfog View Post
Dont plan before you know the facts.

Clamp visegrips on the head. Grab them right at the jaws and pull away hard and even to try to engage the threads.
If that works, after the drain plug is out, should I just try to replace the drain plug?

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:23 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
If that works, after the drain plug is out, should I just try to replace the drain plug?
Yep, double the crush washers just to be safe. I always tighten critical bolts like that with my thumb and index fingers around the ratchet body. IOW, choked up far as you can go.
Ask aty parts store for 'repair plugs'. But check that they are just slightly oversize, not ones that tap all new threads.

If you're worried about metal shavings, get a magnet wrap for your oil filter.

I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:27 PM
It is nice

when you get it out check the threads they might be ok or wrong plug or something; if not you will have to re-tap it. pour 2qts or so fresh oil through your car after u retap it to get the shavings out

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 12:14 AM
PostWhore

Something like this happened to my sister's Civic. Jiffy Lube cross threaded the bolt, so instead of telling us, they packed it with JB Weld and RTV. We had no idea until we took it to another service place to do the oil, they said "we're not getting into that mess". 3 days later the trans died, (obviously unrelated)

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 12:38 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91CougarLS View Post
when you get it out check the threads they might be ok or wrong plug or something; if not you will have to re-tap it. pour 2qts or so fresh oil through your car after u retap it to get the shavings out
Not to start a bicker but that's unlikely to work. find an old engine pan, clean it, throw some shavings in it then pour some oil in and watch what happens.

If it were me, I'd do almost anything to avoid a four hour job. But pulling pan to fix it is the best way to go for a purist.

First >>I<< would look close to see where threads were stripped, if it's on plug no problem, if not or partially, try a new plug with extra washer and only change oil myself.
SECOND: {assuming steel pan} If you can find a strong magnet use hi-temp rtv to fasten it under a protected corner of pan, use magnetic drain plug, magnet around oil filter.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 01:54 PM
It is nice

yea... it will get some of the shavings out but you need a magnet(s) to get rest out or remove whole pan; good luck

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Do our cars have a steel our an aluminum pan? Is there a nut welded on the inside of the pan, or is the inside of the opening of the pan itself threaded?

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
As far as I know we have a steel pan, threaded into the opening itself. More importantly the last place to touch it is responsible for this. Take it back to your work and make them fix it.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Thanks....yes they are responsible...i am officially done with letting shops touch my stuff for things I can do myself...i am hesitant to say anything,i don't want to start any trouble, but we will see. I jammed a screwdriver between the pan and the plug and that seemed to engage the threads a bit...i am letting the oil drain...slowly then I will get the old plug out. I bought a new plug, hopefully it will just thread in without any problems

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I managed to get a screwdriver between the plug and pan, and it poped right out. After the oil drained, I looked at the plug. No threads ay all-smooth metal

I hope the threads in the pan are still there

Last edited by Earl; 07-31-2011 at 03:59 PM.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 04:15 PM
It is nice

dam that sucks; if it's stripped you can install a time-sert if you are not going to replace the pan

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I would guess your okay as far as the pan is concerned. I have not seen an aftermarket replacement drain plug like that, but the factory Ford one from Ford is...like 10 bucks. It is a better setup, with a machined slot and an o-ring.

That drain plug has been abused for sure!

--
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

The threads in the pan itself looked and felt good to me...dui I slowly threaded the new plug in...out went in ok...new plug is a bit longer, and is 17mm, stock plug was 18mm

Now to get the filter off...its hot, its on petty tight, and I haven't done this in a year, seems I have forgotten the trick to gripping it. I am tempted to go pick up a filter wrench, but I know its doable without one,i think I'll just let it cool down a bit more.

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:32 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
The threads in the pan itself looked and felt good to me...dui I slowly threaded the new plug in...out went in ok...new plug is a bit longer, and is 17mm, stock plug was 18mm
Did I not tell you not to plan for worst until you found the facts? They call that 'borrowing trouble'.
Quote:

Now to get the filter off...its hot, its on petty tight, and I haven't done this in a year, seems I have forgotten the trick to gripping it. I am tempted to go pick up a filter wrench, but I know its doable without one,i think I'll just let it cool down a bit more.
wet shop rag, wrap hand around from side - thumb opposing, pull with fingers toward direction of your thumb.

Filter wrenches are to take them off, not put them on. Which concept I bet the shop that installed it did not follow. And why you should have one... just in case you have to take off a shop installed filter.
This kind, handy for other uses, too:

Last edited by pettyfog; 07-31-2011 at 05:41 PM.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I got the filter off, took me a while, but once I got my hand in the correct position it was easy....i remember now

Btw, typing this out on my phone occasionally, it assumes or auto corrects and says weird stuff, before I catch it

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
When all I had was a basic wrench set the first time I ever changed my oil my filter was too tight to get by hand I used a leather belt as a strap wrench, with the right angle it will come loose, leverage works. Now-a-days I have 6 different swivel oil filter band wrenches as well as an assortment of filter cups, filter pliers, and a real strap wrench. Like someone else mentioned only hand tighten the filter.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Ok, all is done, all is good, no leaks. Next time, I won't be fighting the mistakes of others, so, next oil change will be easy, like the last time I did it myself. Thanks to everyone who helped with this

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I don't think what you took out was the original. They are closer to what you replaced it with, but with an o-ring instead of a gasket. The one that got jacked up is a joke, the one you using to replace it is better for sure.

--
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster View Post
I don't think what you took out was the original. They are closer to what you replaced it with, but with an o-ring instead of a gasket. The one that got jacked up is a joke, the one you using to replace it is better for sure.
Interesting...yeah I don't know what the history of the plug i removed was...While we're on this topic, does anybody have any experiance with, those oil pan drain plug replacement valves? I like the idea of being able to thread a hose onto the end of it and drain right into a catch pan, milk jug, etc. with no mess

Also, I am seriously considering a filter re-location kit. Has anybody experianced any downside to running them, such as lower oil pressure, etc.? Also, with an oil relocation kit, can stock motocraft filters still be used? How about a dual filter kit? Seems like that would allow for longer oil change intervals, a bit more oil, a bit more oil cooling, etc. Along with less mess

post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 09:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Most of those valves are taller than I would care to see hanging off the side of my oil pan, I drag all sorts of fun stuff being lowered with low profile tires though.

Most of the filter relocation kits use the Motorcraft FL1A filter(s), which is larger than the FL820S but doesn't have the silicone ADBV. The ability to change the filter without being a contortionist or leaving the rim of the K member and steering rack full of oil would be enough reason for me to add a remote filter kit!

--
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 09:35 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Interesting...yeah I don't know what the history of the plug i removed was...While we're on this topic, does anybody have any experiance with, those oil pan drain plug replacement valves? I like the idea of being able to thread a hose onto the end of it and drain right into a catch pan, milk jug, etc. with no mess

Also, I am seriously considering a filter re-location kit. Has anybody experianced any downside to running them, such as lower oil pressure, etc.? Also, with an oil relocation kit, can stock motocraft filters still be used? How about a dual filter kit? Seems like that would allow for longer oil change intervals, a bit more oil, a bit more oil cooling, etc. Along with less mess
Race cars use reloc's. Sez it all.
But bigger/more Filter wouldnt really affect recommended oil change interval. That is dictated by ph of the lube... unless it's mighty dusty where you are.
And what others said, ever see a plug that had been dragged? I have.

Now that is a project for when you have the pan off.. mount on the side with a tube to bottom of sump.

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

My car is not lowered any more, but might be low again at some point, if I can find another car to use as a daily driver. So I guess I won't do the drain valve...filter relocation is a possibility, but honestly, thinking about it now, once I remembered how I used to do it, I had the old filter out and the new filter in very quickly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in