91 Cougar 5.0 power steering hose question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

91 Cougar 5.0 power steering hose question

I have a pin hole sized leak in my power steering hose and it's spraying on the exhaust manifold and burning. The hose with the leak is the one with blue painters tape on it. The leak is in the rubber part below the steel tube.
How hard is it to replace that hose? Obviously it's real easy at the top part, but the bottom looks like it's gonna be hard to do.
Has anyone here replaced that particular hose before?

Last edited by 0F91H570075; 08-11-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: pic too big
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 01:06 AM
6th Gear Poster

Yeah, on a Mustang but the racks are about the same.
It isnt easy, but not real hard and you need a GOOD Tubing wrench

Size not relevent

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettyfog View Post
Yeah, on a Mustang but the racks are about the same.
It isnt easy, but not real hard and you need a GOOD Tubing wrench

Size not relevent
I might not do it myself. Haven't decided. It depends on how much a mechanic will charge. But one thing for sure, I hadn't heard of a tubing wrench, so I learned something. Thank you. I always used regular open end wrenches for jobs like this.
BTW, do you know what that other tube is for? The only clean one. The one that's higher up and has a tiny black cap on it. It was covered with misty water. I may have another problem going on there. It looks like a washer of some kind has fallen out and is sitting at the bottom of that tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 08:47 AM
PostWhore

i've done it on my '91 XR7 (5.0L) some time ago, it's a mild PITA, but it can be done, there may of been a easier way to have done it verses the way i did it thou?

Also the other tube is for your air conditioning, which is the `pump' that's below the power steering pump
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 XR7 View Post
i've done it on my '91 XR7 (5.0L) some time ago, it's a mild PITA, but it can be done, there may of been a easier way to have done it verses the way i did it thou?

Also the other tube is for your air conditioning, which is the `pump' that's below the power steering pump
I thought it was AC. Thanks. I'm wondering about the water condensation that was on it. I wonder if it's possible that it's somehow from the burning power steering fluid or is this a separate problem. Well, I'll find out for sure soon.

I'm gonna have to change the PS hose myself. The Ford Dealer wanted $480.00 to do it. He said the part is about $180.00. I'm getting a non Ford part for $39 later today. Also, I'll get the tubing wrench like pettyfog recommended.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

It looks like I need to remove the lower radiator hose to get to the bottom end of the power steering hose. Is that correct?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Just use precaution installing that line, try not to shred the teflon o-ring on installation.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 04:24 PM
PostWhore

That's just condensation on the AC hose so it shouldn't be a problem, pretty normal.

Also I know I did t open up the cooling system on my car, but you may want to remove the washer tank to give you a little more room which I believe is what I did? Also before you go buy the wenches take the hose with you to make sure you ge the right sizes and thinking of the hose, make sure it has the seals (or was it jut one that's needed?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 04:26 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:

And the little washer is just leftover from factory assembly of the a/c line springlok connection. It held the spring in place till the other tube was mated.

You will just have to see if that lower radiator hose gets in your way too much. You cant plan EVERYTHING but should always be ready to modify your approach.

Never NEVER use open end, except to hold/backup, on brake lines esp. That is if you care about the nut you're removing or keeping either of the parts..
If I replace a line I sometimes need to keep the nut so I can use it on standard line and I cant get the factory version {95 taurus w/ rear disk excellent example}.

And if I want to replace line then I often just cut line and use 6 point deep well socket. You MIGHT consider that if it's feasible.

But ALWAYS use 6 point rather than 12 or straight jaw whenever possible

I learn more about cars every day!
I do it just because I still want to know HOW and WHY!!! Quit learning=die. Be informed as to WHAT, rather than learn,=brain-dead already.

Last edited by pettyfog; 08-12-2011 at 04:41 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
That's just condensation on the AC hose so it shouldn't be a problem, pretty normal.

Also I know I did t open up the cooling system on my car, but you may want to remove the washer tank to give you a little more room which I believe is what I did? Also before you go buy the wenches take the hose with you to make sure you ge the right sizes and thinking of the hose, make sure it has the seals (or was it jut one that's needed?
Great sugestion about removing the washer tank. That's the first thing I'll do. I'm just home for lunch. I'll start after work this eveninig. No hurry. I'm getting around on a bicycle.
What kind of power steering fluid do I use. Is it type F transmission fluid like on my 70 Cougar? (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Whitaker View Post
Great sugestion about removing the washer tank. That's the first thing I'll do. I'm just home for lunch. I'll start after work this eveninig. No hurry. I'm getting around on a bicycle.
What kind of power steering fluid do I use. Is it type F transmission fluid like on my 70 Cougar? (gone but not forgotten)
That'll work, but it seems like, if you're going to switch to Mercon V for the auto anyway, Mercon V may be better.

I'd use whatever your transmission uses, Mercon III standard, Mercon V after a full empty and refill.

(Current suggestion I've gotten is Mercon V for the AODs even though some of the older notes recommend not, due to the additive package being tweaked a bit by Ford.)

RwP
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

This is turning out to be harder than I thought. It took me a while just to figure out where the bottom end of the hose is located. It looks like it's gonna be real hard to get two wrenches in place to remove the hose. If I'm lucky, they will be loose enough to turn easily. If they're tight, I'm in trouble.
I had originally looked at it wrong and for sure I don't need to remove the lower radiator hose.
I decided to remove the top end of the hose first and also what I think is the return hose. The reason why is so that I can bend them out of the way to get to the lower end. I'll have more room.
That is my first problem. So far, I can't get the upper tube off. The 3/4 inch open end wrench that I hold the big end with is too thick and it gets in the way of removing the small end with the 11/16th tubing wrench. Maybe I didn't buy a "good" tubing wrench? I just bought a cheap set at O'Reiely. The large nut isn't 6 sided. It's round on top and bottom with flat sides. So I have to access that large nut from straight above or if I had a very short 3/4 wrench, from below. I need a thinner 3/4 open end wrench. You can't see from the picture, but I can't hold the large part from the side. It must be done from above or below and the pump is in the way and doesn't allow me to get the wrench far back enough to fit (securely) on the 11/16th on the smaller nut. I gave up for the night.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I ended up taking it to a shop. They charged me about $260.00 using my part. Thanks for the tips though. At least I learned something.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 05:46 PM
PostWhore

Well sometimes letting someone else deal with it is a good way to go

Also $260 doesn't seem THAT bad of a deal
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Just catching up to the thread. $260 is not a bad deal if this was the high pressure line.

I did the same recently and more, I don't remember what was worse, changing the lines or cleaning up the mess from the leak.

I had to do a pump, low, and high pressure line replacement. Though the high pressure hose required creativity with two wrenches to loosen and to tighten, I had the advantage of taking out the power steering pump and lines for more work space.

The modern high pressure replacement hoses do have a purge valve you need to reuse off the original line and getting the air out of the system, so the cost was pretty good if he did all that.

I didn't remove the lower rad hose, but ended up changing it a month later when I did the thermostat, but seeing the back side and how the fluid had softened the hose, was glad I did.

Am contemplating a cooler for the power steering, I put in a magnet filter catch inline on the low pressure side, wonder if anyone is running one too.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGreenCat View Post
Just catching up to the thread. $260 is not a bad deal if this was the high pressure line.

I did the same recently and more, I don't remember what was worse, changing the lines or cleaning up the mess from the leak.

I had to do a pump, low, and high pressure line replacement. Though the high pressure hose required creativity with two wrenches to loosen and to tighten, I had the advantage of taking out the power steering pump and lines for more work space.

The modern high pressure replacement hoses do have a purge valve you need to reuse off the original line and getting the air out of the system, so the cost was pretty good if he did all that.

I didn't remove the lower rad hose, but ended up changing it a month later when I did the thermostat, but seeing the back side and how the fluid had softened the hose, was glad I did.

Am contemplating a cooler for the power steering, I put in a magnet filter catch inline on the low pressure side, wonder if anyone is running one too.
Oh, that's what that thing (purge valve) was! An empty hole on the new part and on the old part the hole had a short plug that I had no idea what it was. I thought maybe it was for an option my car didn't have or possibly for when used on a different car. Directions were sealed in a plastic bag that I didn't open because I thought there was a chance I'd have to return the part. I imagine the directions explained about the purge valve.
I explained in a post above that I had looked at it wrong when I thought maybe you need to remove the radiator hose.
Normally I'd feel like a doofus for not changing my own hose. This one is an exception.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in