How much A.C. refrigerant should the system take from completely empty? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

How much A.C. refrigerant should the system take from completely empty?

Hi Guys,

Got my 1992 3.8L bird A.C. recharge to do. The system was disconnected ( read completely empty ) when I got it. I put everything back together and have started to recharge it.

SO FAR I have two of the Giant A.C. refrigerant cans in there, and the gauge that comes with the refrigerant is showing 25-27 psi on the low side with the compressor on after two of the cans have been installed. Pressure isn't running away that I can see, but I was thinking that this may be a little bit excessive....

Does anyone have any ideas? I threw $100 at it so far, still not into the charged / good mark.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Kind of slapped together

Look at the label in the car. Mine says "40oz of R12" (not exactly, but you get the idea.) Doing the 80% rule, that's 32oz of R134a.

Turns out I chickened out with 24oz in my car ... compressor was running full, air was cold, and it had about 45PSI on the low side in 100F weather (that's not surprising), 325psi high side (note: Harbor Freight gauges, I make no claim for accuracy )

Two 18oz cans complete would be just about right.

But let's cover a few more things. You spend $100 on it? Even on the 3.8, that's not much on the flush / accumulator / orifice tube / PAG oil, since those 18oz cans are about $40 each around here.

You DID replace the accumulator and orifice tube, and flush the system, and use the PAG oil in it, after replacing the O-rings and lubing them with the PAG 46 oil or with Nylog Blue, right?

And then pulled a full vacuum on it, right?

If not, then you've wasted that $100 so far.

RwP

Last edited by RalphP; 08-14-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: fix name of sealer from Nyloc to Nylog Blue
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 04:35 PM
PostWhore

Check the actual weight of those cans. Some of them, although big, only have like 2oz more than the smaller bottles of freon.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Nyloc (?)
Nylog blue.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Nylog blue.
Thankee. I'll go edit the name to fix it.

RwP
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

OWWWWW

Well, the mechanics at my machine shop told me that I need a conversion kit and come recharger fluid. I bought the kit, installed the nipple on the low pressure side and filled the system up with refrigerant. Didn't do anything else because.... wasn't aware of that.

Anyways, with two of the 22 oz cans in there, the air conditioning system works, is cool, and is very nice on a warm day, BUT the gauge still tells me LOW and I wanted to pep it up to the charged mark.

I have never had a car with air conditioning before, sure is a nice feature when wearing a wool suit on a warm day to a job interview or court date, etc.

Adam
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 11:37 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Mc Laughlin View Post
OWWWWW

Well, the mechanics at my machine shop told me that I need a conversion kit and come recharger fluid. I bought the kit, installed the nipple on the low pressure side and filled the system up with refrigerant. Didn't do anything else because.... wasn't aware of that.

Anyways, with two of the 22 oz cans in there, the air conditioning system works, is cool, and is very nice on a warm day, BUT the gauge still tells me LOW and I wanted to pep it up to the charged mark.

I have never had a car with air conditioning before, sure is a nice feature when wearing a wool suit on a warm day to a job interview or court date, etc.

Adam
Ha, my old bird didnt have AC (working), so I had a stack of extra shirts in my back seat, and I always had a cooler of water. That was my redneck AC

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in